Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Back to My Mac doesn't work Over the internet

Back to My Mac doesn't work Over the internet
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2008, 04:45 AM

Hey guys,

So I was really looking forward to using the back to my mac/screen sharing feature extensively with my dot mac account. My dad often wants me to show him how to do certain things on our imac at home but I'm at my university most of the time. I tried out back to my mac on our home network and it worked flawlessly.

This means: everything was set up correctly on my computer and on the imac.

However, at school, I was not able to see my home imac in my finder despite my internet connection, correct settings, and knowing for a fact that the imac at home was not asleep but actually running.

The thing doesn't even show up in finder! Any ideas??

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2008, 08:30 PM

This can be a complicated issue, and likely is not due to something you are doing wrong, necessarily.
If you're using your school's connection, then its possible that there is some kind of firewall or filter on the network that's preventing it from working. Also, make sure any router you've got set up in your room/apartment, etc., is configured according to Apple's recommendations (there's a BTMM troubleshooting page somewhere on Apple's site).

I cannot get Back To My Mac to work from my office due to the firewalls we have at work, yet it worked perfectly from a hotel room in Seattle while my home is on the east coast.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2008, 01:17 PM

What a sad ending

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 15, 2008, 06:15 PM

And to think, someone caught a thief with her computer using Back to my Mac. Must be nice to get it to work.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ibook_steve
May 15, 2008, 07:38 PM

Wouldn't it just be easier to do screen sharing through iChat with your dad? All he needs is a free AIM account and you can use the screen sharing in iChat instead. There's probably a better chance of that working with less configuration hassles.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 07:54 PM

Guys, time for going Back to LogMeIn !

-t

Tsilou B.
Senior User
May 16, 2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration View Post
Hey guys,
My dad often wants me to show him how to do certain things on our imac at home but I'm at my university most of the time.
Have you tried using iChat? You could setup an iChat screen name for your father and for yourself and then use iChat's screen sharing feature. I use it all the time and it works great. If it doesn't work, either, then you can be sure that some Firewall is blocking something. (In that case, you could still get it to work by using an ssh tunnel, but that's a lot more complicated.)

Edit: OOps, I just read that ibook_steve already posted the same idea...

Forum Links
Forum Rules