Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem Shutting Down Macbook Pro

Problem Shutting Down Macbook Pro
WEADHD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2009, 09:05 AM

Hey All.

I'm having a problem shutting down my Macbook Pro with OSX 10.4.11. When I go through the regular shutdown process my Mac does everything normally until it reaches a gray, blank screen. The the little thinking wheel pops up and spins for a while and then freezes.
I took it into my Apple store and the Genius Bar guy reinstalled the OS and it worked right for a day.
Then, after I reinstalled my printer driver from the supplied disk (Canon i860) the shutdown problem started again!!!
To fix it I booted the computer from the OS install disk and ran the disk repair utility. This fixed the problem for about a day.
Now the Canon i860 driver installation may just be coincidental but I thought I would check around to see if anybody else had the same problem. If not, does anybody have a recommendation for fixing the shutdown problem?
Thanks!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 10, 2009, 09:13 AM

Where are you installing that driver from? The CD that came with the printer?

All versions of Tiger and Leopard include the driver for the i860, so there's a good chance you were installing an older version over the included one.

You might be able to fix your system by putting in your Tiger DVD and custom-installing just the Canon print driver package.

WEADHD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2009, 04:39 PM

I did install the driver from the CD that came with the printer.
So my next question is how do I get rid of the faulty driver software I installed from the Canon CD?

Forum Links
Forum Rules