Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "You Need To Restart Computer"

"You Need To Restart Computer"
iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2006, 10:17 AM

I have multiple apps open and am streaming iTunes in the background. I am using a 17" PowerBook 1.67 with 2GB RAM. I'm working diligently on a design in Illustrator and all of a sudden my screen dims, iTunes starts skipping like a broken record and I get the message below (which I cannot exit out of)
[removed oversize image --tooki]
It's a good thing I saved a minute before this happened. BUT WHAT IS GOING ON? This is the second time it's happened in a week. I bought this powerbook as a refreshed unit from the apple store. It is my second time to exchange it. Anyone help please?!?!?
( Last edited by tooki; Aug 12, 2006 at 12:51 PM. )
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2006, 10:48 AM

Well I can tell you that that's a kernel panic. You have to restart the computer to get rid of it, I only got it once before by enabling Quartz 2D Extreme a while ago.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2006, 12:25 PM

How does it happen and how can I prevent it?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 12, 2006, 12:53 PM

iChelle, please review our rules (linked from every thread listing), in particular regarding inline images and thread titles.

Anyway, if you haven't reinstalled Mac OS X, that's the first thing to try to see if you can make the kernel panics stop. Otherwise, there's a good chance it's a hardware problem, most likely RAM.

tooki

ibook_steve
Aug 14, 2006, 01:03 AM

You know what might be really cool? A sticky at the top of the forum with the title "gray screen + foreign languagees = kernel panic" or something to that affect. The topic could explain what it is with links to Apple's web site (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106227). Kernel panic questions (as in "What is it?") seem to get asked every week.

Steve

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2006, 05:08 AM

Overheating can also cause kernel panics.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2006, 04:32 PM

Sorry if I didn't read the rules. I will be more considerate next time. However, I am still having the computer freeze up every time I run iTunes in the background while I work on other apps like Word, Illustrator, etc. When I only have 1 app open, this doesn't happen...Maybe it's the RAM...I will test it out tonight. I took it to a Genius who ran the Apple hardware test and, though it took over 1/2 hour to do, it came up clean...
And I often check the temperature of the unit but it never gets over 105...that isn't overheating, is it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules