Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook rumors?!?!? SOON!

powerbook rumors?!?!? SOON! (Page 6)
Karim
Senior User
Oct 23, 2002, 08:20 PM

There are plenty of Wednesdays left in the year

emerrill
Oct 23, 2002, 08:31 PM

OK, here is a quick and dirty program, I'll and more features, options in a bit, tell me what you think.

PageUpdateChecker.sit

Markian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2002, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by emerrill:
OK, here is a quick and dirty program, I'll and more features, options in a bit, tell me what you think.

PageUpdateChecker.sit
neat. well done. VB, I presume? I never really got into it, but if it's _that useful, I may have to reconsider. I keep meaning to learn VB and or Java or something for interface writing. Is it easy to link VB to compiled (C/C++) code?

thanks,

Markian

vsurfer
Senior User
Oct 23, 2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by I Palindrome I:
What a load of crap. I can't believe you guys hanging on this Sean guy's every word about new PowerBooks and iBooks. I'm sure he's just another Ryan Meador wannabe who pulls rumors and dates out of his ass to torment people like you all.

Go outside and enjoy the Daystar for awhile.
Nothing wrong with the daystar or smellng the roses, but...

Sean is a contributor of 100's of knowledgeable posts, that many of us here appreciate, 15 or 55 he has some good knowledge of hardware. 15 is not too young. Even kindergarten kids whose parents are computer aficionados can pick up way more than you'd imagine through motivated observation.

http://www.newhouse.com/archive/story1a051000.html

Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by DJ Ed White:
And check out what you can do with your CURRENT Powerbook

(Ellen Feiss reference) Powerbook G4:20
I'm confused, I don't understand a single thing in there? Anyone care to explain?

Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 10:49 PM

There's an apostrophe as the very first character in the PowerBook page! http://www.apple.com/powerbook/ (A mistake)

What does this mean!? Someone is screwing with the PowerBook page. Why would they do that?... OK, maybe it's nothing, but why would they be messing around with the PowerBook page?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, this is what the code looks like at 10:48 EST:

'<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Apple - PowerBook</TITLE>
<!-- BEGIN META TAG INFO -->
<META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="

That apostrophe shows up when the page displays, so it obviously isn't intentional, and it wasn't there before. It's also not on any other pages...

skyman
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
There's an apostrophe as the very first character in the PowerBook page! http://www.apple.com/powerbook/ (A mistake)

What does this mean!? Someone is screwing with the PowerBook page. Why would they do that?... OK, maybe it's nothing, but why would they be messing around with the PowerBook page?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, this is what the code looks like at 10:48 EST:

'<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Apple - PowerBook</TITLE>
<!-- BEGIN META TAG INFO -->
<META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="

That apostrophe shows up when the page displays, so it obviously isn't intentional, and it wasn't there before. It's also not on any other pages...
Cool. It is in the upper left corner of the page.

Maybe it means new PowerBooks tomorrow.................NOT.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2002, 11:00 PM

That is bizarre. Having visited this page recently, I don't recall the shift in the navigation bar the apostrophe now causes.

I don't think to make anything of it...other than to identify the "real" PowerBook page from the one in a staging area? But then again, why not do it vice versa, where it's not so unprofessional-looking?
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 11:03 PM

I see nothing?

I'll see you folks tomorrow morning for some more disappointment from Apple.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

skyman
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
I see nothing?

Yes, Apple has been very boring for the last couple of months.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
I see nothing?

Extreme top-left... There's an apostrophe.

emerrill
Oct 23, 2002, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Markian:

neat. well done. VB, I presume? I never really got into it, but if it's _that useful, I may have to reconsider. I keep meaning to learn VB and or Java or something for interface writing. Is it easy to link VB to compiled (C/C++) code?

thanks,

Markian
That is done with REALbaisc its almost identical to VB, but runs on mac and compiles for mac and windows.

DJ Ed White
Oct 23, 2002, 11:44 PM

I'm confused, I don't understand a single thing in there? Anyone care to explain?
I'm not sure if I can explain it

emerrill
Oct 23, 2002, 11:47 PM

That makes a reference to Ellens apparent, um, mental fuzzyness in the ad, where there has been great debate about drug use.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2002, 12:04 AM

They are stashing a one toke pot pipe in their powerbook so they can sneak it around. in case you seriously didn't get it
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Markian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by emerrill:

That is done with REALbaisc its almost identical to VB, but runs on mac and compiles for mac and windows.
oops. sorry. I knew that. of course I _meant realbasic.

M

Markian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:

They are stashing a one toke pot pipe in their powerbook so they can sneak it around. in case you seriously didn't get it
<blush> I hate to admit it, but I didn't get it. I feel dumb. I know what pot pipes look like... but for some reason since he was saying "airplane", my brain was thinking "lead pipe", and I'm going, "you couldn't hurt anyone with a _glass pipe!!"

I guess I've never seen a one toke pipe before.

<sigh> don't laugh too hard.

Markian

Markian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by skyman:

Cool. It is in the upper left corner of the page.

Maybe it means new PowerBooks tomorrow.................NOT.
being cynical, I was also going to take the conspiracy theory route... Apple is reading these posts, and wanted to see how long it would take someone to notice. They are playing with our heads.

M

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2002, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Markian:

being cynical, I was also going to take the conspiracy theory route... Apple is reading these posts, and wanted to see how long it would take someone to notice. They are playing with our heads.

M
LOL - I posted this earlier, tongue-in-cheek, but you wonder.......

I can see Stevie-boy, with one of his Apple-slaves perusing MacNN forums, he hears about Sean's "leak" about new Ti's and iBook's on October 23, and he says, "Screw 'em!!! We'll delay it a week now! And fire the #(*$@)(&$&% who spilled the beans!!! Oh, yeah, and take out the g**d***ed Superdrive, too!!!"

iBorg

msykes
Senior User
Oct 24, 2002, 01:40 AM

Okay, well it could mean anything... but that apostrophe is weird! If nothing else, it might mean some poor web designer gets in trouble tomorrow!

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that all the dates in the page are from 1999? I guess they haven't updated some of that code in a long time! (when you use the "View Source" option)

Macka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 03:45 AM

Well, I've been watching this thread from near the beginning, usually late at night, and every time I wanted to reply I was just too lazy to go through the registration process. But now I have, so here's a few things that might interest people.

Firstly, that apostrophe is new on the Powerbook page as far as I can tell. Although, I have usually looked at the Australian page which doesn't have it there.

But, on the topic of Powerbook pages being outdated. Take a look at:

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/movies.html

Then there's:

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/expansion.html

Of course, there are no links to these any more from the main powerbook page, however, the pages themselves are still there...

Kinda makes you wonder if they do that in reverse as well.

TheTrinity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 04:31 AM

I can hear the rumor mongers already:
"According to these hidden pages at Apple.com Apple's unannounced PowerBook is going back to the classic Pismo design !"

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/airport.html

But seriously, these pages are a great find! Even the top menu bar still contains "iTools" and "iCards".

It's kind of reassuring to see my trusty Pismo still being promoted on Apple's website.
TheTrinity
Tokyo

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Oct 24, 2002, 07:36 AM

Just speculation, but maybe they are going to have an Apple Event before November 3rd in which several things, including the powerboook, will be announced.

Apple will announce before November 3 that it has signed on Target as its second major US retailer to sell its iPod portable MP3 player
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

trowa barton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 07:51 AM

guys and gals,

If PB's aren't announced before the first week of November than I think there is a pretty good chance new PB's won't be released till 2003. After the first week of Nov, Apple will most likely miss any chance of shipping new PB's for the Holiday season. Just wait till then, if no PB's are announced, buy the current models.

- trowa

azark
Oct 24, 2002, 08:05 AM

As some other guys, I'm following this thread for some times but was too lazy to register...

The Applestores in Europe started the "double your RAM" deal today.
And all PB are available in 1-2 or 2-4 days.
Mmmh...No good.

I still hope for new PB, but... It's getting harder...

Nobody talked about it but one big difference between" PB this year" or not could be "start with OS 9" or not!

This could be a reason for Apple to wait... or to release them soon.
Am I the only one who wants to buy an "OS 9 compatible" PB ?

In fact, as I work in Audio-pro, buying an OS X only computer would be pointless! Major audio apps are (slowly) coming to X, but we have to wait for ALL apps we use (incl. plug-ins, etc.) to be ready... (They know that at Apple, do they?)

That's why I decided to buy a new baby: I want the fastest PB who can run OS 9, so I can use it till the "switch to X" in the Audio world!
(+ I recently tried to defrag my HD with Drive 10 CD. It took me 3 hours!!!! So OS 9 is still really helpful!! )

So I sold my 550 Tibook! The guy will take it around November 10... Then I will buy the 800 or...
If nothing's there before mid Nov., I'm sure it will be next year.

One more thing: Stop harassing Sean! He shared his informations with us, this is the point of this thread, no? And the prediction game can't be 100% accurate! He's not Steve Jobs!
I still hope he's right and that we'll see new Tibooks soon!

Come back Sean, share your thoughts!

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 08:53 AM

I don't think to make anything of it...other than to identify the "real" PowerBook page from the one in a staging area? But then again, why not do it vice versa, where it's not so unprofessional-looking?
I highly doubt that Apple uses their live site as a staging area in which to test new pages. Usually these changes are made in a non-public offline (available internally only) development site so that it can be tested.

Most likely this change simply represents a change that someone inadvertently checked in. The apostrophe isn't there to signify a different version ofthe page - there is software to do that, like cvs. Perhaps someone was fixing a spelling or formatting error.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 10:26 AM

SEAN...........COME BACK!!! WE NEED INFO!!!!! CALL YOU SOURCE AND ASK THEM WHAT HAPPENED????????
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 10:46 AM

From what I've heard the new Powerbook will have a completely new form factor and will have everything you would ever want. The current Tibook design is still cool, but let's face it, it's long in the tooth.

IMHO, I would not expect it before MWSF.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by TheTrinity:
I can hear the rumor mongers already:
"According to these hidden pages at Apple.com Apple's unannounced PowerBook is going back to the classic Pismo design !"

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/airport.html

But seriously, these pages are a great find! Even the top menu bar still contains "iTools" and "iCards".

It's kind of reassuring to see my trusty Pismo still being promoted on Apple's website.
I miss the red Apple logo. Now it is just plain grey...bland.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2002, 11:57 AM

Here's some info on the PB superdrive someone at AI wanted me to post here-

Babelfish does a decent translating job on this one. Specifications for both slim tray and slot-loading versions appear to be the same. Write speeds are DVD-R 2x, DVD-RW 1x, DVD-RAM 2x, CD-R 16x and CD-RW 4x. Read speeds are DVD 8x and CD 24x. Availability is said to be toward years' end so November may be a possiblility but it could mean we will have to wait until January. The slim-tray is marked with a production date of July. No indications of a production date on the slot-loading version, probably is just going into production. This could very well be the holdup on new PowerBooks. These will be sold OEM only at first.

ZDNET article

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Here's some info on the PB superdrive someone at AI wanted me to post here-

Well that just sucks. I don't give a rat's ass about the superdrive. Release the damn powerbooks with better cooling, speed bump, and a faster video card before Christmas. Then all will be well. Who wants a freaking 1x DVD-RW in a damn powerbook anyway. It's more of a symbol than anything of use.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 12:48 PM

Who? Me, that's who. A superdrive would be great for backup, archive, and I would love to never have to go to my stationary G4 desktop box to burn DVD movies. Other portables are offering them, so Apple should too (especially since they are the leader in desktop home movie making.

If you don't want a superdirve, what's so bad with the current line of Powerbooks? They are very fast and fully functional under OSX. I love mine.

Exactly what limits anyone with what the latest Powerbook line has to offer? Only thing I can think of is possibly faster Photoshop when working with files over 500MB. Doubt most people in this forum are doing that. Possibly games - but i don't get why anyone wouild spend $3500 for a gaming portable computer. Are people out there unhappy with the system performance with the 800Mhz version under OSX? I'm courious since I'm happy with it (other than not having a superdrive which i can live with for now).

jhunt5247  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by craigthomas:
I'm courious since I'm happy with it (other than not having a superdrive which i can live with for now).
Well, the heat is a major issue. I don't want a laptop that is constantly using the fan. This I have heard from various people in macnn forums.

Also, the video card it does have is OK, but a 9000 series would be much better in 10.2. That's basically all I want, because the superdrive does not interest me.

A speedbump, well that would just make anyone happy.

azark
Oct 24, 2002, 12:54 PM

I don't care about superdrive neither! That would increase the price!

Give me:

Faster processors
Better video card
Better cooling system
CD-R 16X CR-RW 8X
Bluetooth would be cool too, as there's no more IrDA.

All that in less than two weeks.

Thank you!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:

Well, the heat is a major issue. I don't want a laptop that is constantly using the fan. This I have heard from various people in macnn forums.

Also, the video card it does have is OK, but a 9000 series would be much better in 10.2. That's basically all I want, because the superdrive does not interest me.

A speedbump, well that would just make anyone happy.
I read the fan doesn't come on all the time, that's it's only in certain instances. I haven't read where the fan was a major issue. I also have yet to read anything that wasn't troll bait that stated the PB got too hot. My iBook got warm but nothing to frett about, and no one has said the PB was ridiculous either.

I'm waiting for value. Why get a PB today when in 2 weeks, I could get the 800 for the 667 price? That's why I'm waiting. I read the 667 was plenty fast, so I could care less about the 933 or 1.0ghz or the superdrive, I want the 800 at 667 prices

emerrill
Oct 24, 2002, 01:15 PM

I've only really heard anybody complain about the fans in the first 2 revisions, for the latest revision I've heard that the fan is rarely on(depending on what you are doing) and that you can barely notice it when it is on.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by azark:
I don't care about superdrive neither! That would increase the price!

Give me:

Faster processors
Better video card
Better cooling system
CD-R 16X CR-RW 8X
Bluetooth would be cool too, as there's no more IrDA.

All that in less than two weeks.

Thank you!

Don't worry about the price, it will only be for the top model. Don't want it, don't buy it

azark
Oct 24, 2002, 01:31 PM

Exactly what limits anyone with what the latest Powerbook line has to offer? Only thing I can think of is possibly faster Photoshop when working with files over 500MB. Doubt most people in this forum are doing that. Possibly games - but i don't get why anyone wouild spend $3500 for a gaming portable computer. Are people out there unhappy with the system performance with the 800Mhz version under OSX? I'm courious since I'm happy with it (other than not having a superdrive which i can live with for now).
As KidRed say, it's not about limit but value and how long it won't limit me!
And I want the 800 at the 667 price too! This coud save me 800� (+/- 800$)! (BTW, check european prices if you think macs are expensive in US!!)

There's not only Photoshop and gaming!!!!
Ever heard of music, video, etc.? Never enough power!!
I didn't buy my Ti550 as a "gaming portable computer", but I sometimes want to be able to play games!

Heat is a problem when doing music. I can live with the 550 noise, but I sure don't want it to be worst! And as faster cpu means more heat, cooling should be better. Never tried a 800 but I hope that the 2 fans are quieter... When using ProTools and cubase, the 550's fan is always on.

Oh, one thing I forgot in my earlier "Give me" post: I need better battery and power management too.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by jhunt5247:
Who wants a freaking 1x DVD-RW in a damn powerbook anyway. It's more of a symbol than anything of use.
Umm. Me. I do. I want to be able to take whatever it is I might need on the road with me, in a reasonable form factor. I don't want to have ten machines clogging up my house, each for a specific purpose. Superdrive in a powerbook would rock. I mean, 650MB on a CD? Come on, who thinks in megabytes anymore?

azark
Oct 24, 2002, 01:53 PM

A news on macplus.org link here (in french) announces that Apple could release a new 19" display on Nov. 5. "According to their sources" Apple will unveil the new Powerbooks that day too.

Fingers crossed.
( Last edited by azark; Oct 24, 2002 at 02:12 PM. )

kelcha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 02:11 PM

I've been reading this thread since the start and i think you have to feel for us people over here in the UK. I've been waiting to buy my Powerbook for so long. but always put it off after reading these rumours and i'll continue to. There is no way i'm paying so much money for the current laptop with its current specs. If i was paying your US price, that would be fine, but over here in the UK a powerbook 800 (40gig HD model) would cost $4200 US dollars!!! now that's a rip off ($3800 with student discount).

azark
Oct 24, 2002, 02:16 PM

4485 $ incl. all taxes here in belgium!

euphras
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 02:23 PM

4406,84 � here in germany......

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Markian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 02:34 PM

Nobody talked about it but one big difference between" PB this year" or not could be "start with OS 9" or not!

This could be a reason for Apple to wait... or to release them soon.
Am I the only one who wants to buy an "OS 9 compatible" PB ?

That's why I decided to buy a new baby: I want the fastest PB who can run OS 9, so I can use it till the "switch to X" in the Audio world!
(+ I recently tried to defrag my HD with Drive 10 CD. It took me 3 hours!!!! So OS 9 is still really helpful!! )
yeah, I mentioned this a little while ago. I agree; it would make sense to have one more powerbook that boots OS9.

Markian

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Oct 24, 2002, 02:36 PM

Here is an English translation of the MacPlus site. I've changed it up a bit, without changing meaning, as some of the translation didn't read correctly.

According to our sources, Apple will finally release its new 19" Cinema Display on Tuesday November 5. With a resolution of 1600x1024, same as the 22" Cinema Display, the new monitor will put to rest the legendary Cinema Display .

The new display lineup will be 17", 19" and 23".

Our sources state however that the new 19" will not be made available to retailers until December because of a delay of production.

In addition, it would seem that Apple also will reveal the new lineup of PowerBooks on November 5.

Prudence and patience...
Yay!

Markian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by azark:

As KidRed say, it's not about limit but value and how long it won't limit me!
And I want the 800 at the 667 price too! This coud save me 800� (+/- 800$)! (BTW, check european prices if you think macs are expensive in US!!)

There's not only Photoshop and gaming!!!!
Ever heard of music, video, etc.? Never enough power!!
I didn't buy my Ti550 as a "gaming portable computer", but I sometimes want to be able to play games!

There is this. But for me it's also a research issue. Game trees are not easily parallelizable; I can't imagine altivec ever being any use. Thus, I need a fast processor. faster processor means I spend less time waiting for experimental results! Yes, I could buy a Dell and run Linux, and that's probably what I'd have to do for tournament play. But for development, apple is so much nicer. Even using bbedit and make is better than emacs and make.
(project builder is buggy and won't run my code, codewarrior won't properly attach to a running CLI process for debugging. )

Markian

Markian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by InterfaceGuy:
Here is an English translation of the MacPlus site. I've changed it up a bit, without changing meaning, as some of the translation didn't read correctly.

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to our sources, Apple will finally release its new 19" Cinema Display on Tuesday November 5. With a resolution of 1600x1024, same as the 22" Cinema Display, the new monitor will put to rest the legendary Cinema Display .

The new display lineup will be 17", 19" and 23".

Our sources state however that the new 19" will not be made available to retailers until December because of a delay of production.

In addition, it would seem that Apple also will reveal the new lineup of PowerBooks on November 5.

Prudence and patience...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yay!
I concur on the translation. (ie, neither InterfaceGuy nor babelfish have made any mistakes)

chipchen
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 02:43 PM

those of you in europe... seems to me it would be cheaper to take a short vacation to the US and buy the powerbook here... and go back.

heh... or for a fee.. I'm sure many people here would buy them for you and send them to you... (if this is against some laws I'm not advocating it)...

cause for me... i could walk into my campus computer store and purchase a PowerBook 667DVI for $1899 or a PowerBook 800DVI for $2399... plus tax of course.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 02:50 PM

Heat is not an issue to me on the 800. The fan comes on maybe once a day for a short time. Not like the 500 I have. When that one comes on, I need ear plugs. Using the CoolPad possibly helps too.

I also understand the value issue. I got my 800Mhz version with an employee promo discount for 2499. That was an easy purchase months ago. However, I truely believe my productivity has more than paid for itself over the 500Mhz system. Would I buy today at full price? That would depend on how frustrated I would be running my old 500Mhz system trying to get work done. I consider myself a poweruser, pushing the system as far as I can take it. This system hasn't let me down running a 22 in. Cinema display and the Powerbook display in dual mode, buring CDs, printing large QuarkXpress files, and editing Photoshop 7 concurrently.

Definately it depends on your needs and money situation. Yet some people just want the latest and greatest. I guess i fit in that category when I have the bucks.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2002, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by kelcha:
I've been reading this thread since the start and i think you have to feel for us people over here in the UK. I've been waiting to buy my Powerbook for so long. but always put it off after reading these rumours and i'll continue to. There is no way i'm paying so much money for the current laptop with its current specs. If i was paying your US price, that would be fine, but over here in the UK a powerbook 800 (40gig HD model) would cost $4200 US dollars!!! now that's a rip off ($3800 with student discount).
Are just Apple computer products that price-inflated in Europe as compared to U.S. prices, or do other computer companies (Dell, Sony, etc.) charge comparatively more also? It's not like they have to export them from the U.S. to Europe - they're made in Taiwan, so they're "imported" here, too!

$3200 U.S. is still far too high for the 800 MHz Ti, IMHO.

iBorg

Forum Links
Forum Rules