Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Memory and the new Powerbook

Memory and the new Powerbook
Macka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2002, 02:06 AM

Here's a question that I haven't seen discussed in the other threads, so sorry if it has, but I must have missed it.

With the current "Double your Memory" promotion going, that ends on the 31st of December, I was thinking...

"If they're offering this promotion, they're unlikely to bring out new computers, because they'll be bound to double the memory on them for $40."

So I went and read the terms, and they state:

Apple reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions of this offer, or to discontinue it, at any time without notice.
My question is this, if indeed new Powerbooks come out next week, will they continue this promotion?

Has Apple been known to discontinue promotions because of new hardware being released?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2002, 02:40 AM

It's really standard practice to reserve the right to retract a promotion.

Why would Apple need to discontinue the promotion? They could just double the memory on all of the new machines...

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
It's really standard practice to reserve the right to retract a promotion.

Why would Apple need to discontinue the promotion? They could just double the memory on all of the new machines...
Not likely. The idea behind the promotions has typically been to push older products that have PASSED their initial sales surge. Some of this year's promotions have been an aberration in this regard (which I'd attribute to the slow economy and NOT to a shift in Apple marketing strategy).

I'm betting that if you want twice as much memory on 11/6, you'll have to pay for it. And unless the 'Books go to DDR (and perhaps even if they do), you'll do far better to buy your memory from a third-party supplier rather than paying top-dollar to Apple.

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2002, 03:13 PM

The thing is, with this slow economy, and the apparently slim upgrade, maybe they'll keep the double your memory promotion for the new machines. I'm sure that would be enough to push some of the people around here and in other forums into getting the new machines if they aren't 1GHz, Radeon 9000, superdrive, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules