Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new pb's in Australia ?

new pb's in Australia ?
mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2002, 03:12 AM

Could anyone who gets a new PB in Australia post the info:
What it is - where you got it etc ?

Thanks - Michael

galarneau
Senior User
Nov 19, 2002, 05:05 AM

I don't know who has them, but I got an e-mail from NextByte today. What a crappy deal they have on the old 800Mhz model... a whole $100 AUD less than the new 867. Wow. Who the hell is going to buy that!

michaelb
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 05:31 AM

<cynical mode>

We'll get them last and pay the most.

</cynical mode>

To say something useful, a Sydney Apple reseller estimated a week before Christmas for the Superdrive GHz model. Heavily backordered.

Minimal discounts available as margins are so tight now. Retail price is $6,499.

Apple Australia continues to rip us off: $2999 / 0.56 * 1.10 = 5,890.

(Guess it's the prompt delivery which we pay the extra $600 bucks for...)

Macka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2002, 06:46 AM

This is what I have been told, however, the same information from different stores was translated differently.

In terms of dates, the official line has been "Late week 3 November", which is in fact this week. However, nobody really expects them to be in store this week.

I was told this from two different stores:

Store 1

Late Week 3 November...If they arrive in Australia late this week, it means it won't be until next week that we get them.

Store 2

Late week 3 November...If they arrive in Australia late this week, then it usually translates to about 2 weeks after that for them to filter to retail stores.

So, take from that what you will.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Nov 19, 2002, 06:51 PM

I ordered the 1GHz SuperDrive model, upgrading from my current 800MHz DVI model. I'm happy to patiently wait though, my current machine is plenty fast enough - I just "had to have" the 1GHz. Still, I wouldn't complain if it arrived early

maximage
Nov 20, 2002, 10:15 AM

The $100 saving doesn't seem like very much considering the new base model is 867, but when you look at the fact that the old 800 has an AirPort card and 512MB RAM, this brings the total to more like a $450 difference. Considering we are actually making a big loss on these machines (I actually work for Next Byte), there's not much more we can do. Luckily our Directors were smart enough to pre-judge the impending machine release, so we don't have many models left in stock. These seem to be going fairly quickly, being snapped up by graphic artists who will see a better benefit from the extra RAM over the extra 67MHZ. And since the 2D graphic performance isn't hugely different (the new Radeon only really increases the 3D performance), the $450 difference seems quite attractive. So much so that I actually sold one of the units to one of our competitors employees a few days ago, since they keep no stock at all.
As for the original question at hand, SuperDrive TiBooks will be in very limited supply for the next month and a half or so. If you want one, place your order because it looks like when they do arrive, they will be going straight back out the door to meet existing demand. This was also confirmed to us tonight at the Apple Channel training I've just come home from. So this supply restriction will be nation wide.
We forsee them being about a week away to start with, and going on the example of our particular store (Im at home so I cant check the stock at other stores), weve just about filled our initial shipment quota.

sdp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 10:14 AM

FYI:
I was told today by my re-seller that all existing powerbooks on back order 'should' be filled and arrive in Sydney by the end of this week.

Next week should see the shipment of PB units out of Sydney to be delivered (where ever that may be).

So with any luck powerbooks should be in hand at the latest by the end of next week.

Fingers crossed!

I will probably try to confirm this again early next week, please post if you have heard otherwise.

Cheers
SDP

Macka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2002, 12:03 AM

From two independant sources:

Those on order will be in store by the end of the week. (Friday 29th November)

Whether or not there are any available to buy from the stores if you don't have an order placed already will depend on whether the store only ordered to current demand, or ordered extra stock as well.

One week to go...pity I'm working on a big video project this week sans-powerbook. I'll have to shoot the footage and edit it on the weekend.

maximage
Nov 25, 2002, 12:32 AM

SD PowerBooks are rolling into the Perth Next Byte NOW! And we normally get stock in the West a coupla days after the rest of the country. We ordered more than demand for now, but only a small portion has arrived, the rest are on backorder due to Apple's supply shortage. At least they are starting to arrive for those that ordered them immediately after the announcement. So far we havent received the full amount to cover our existing orders tho.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2002, 09:29 AM

I ordered my powerbook today (first mac and all) via the uni of tasmanias campus computers (free 3year apple care!)

The guy behind the desk checked the status of the powerbooks with apple in sydney and apparently they are instock. So i should see my custom-build 1ghz/combo drive unit in about 10 days.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Nov 25, 2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by ngrundy:
I ordered my powerbook today (first mac and all)
Congratulations dude, the PowerBook is a truely awesome beast!

maximage
Nov 25, 2002, 10:01 PM

Congrats on the PowerBook purchase. Combo drive models are easy to come by at the moment as it is the actual SuperDrive that is in short supply. You should get yours pretty soon! look forward to it. Sometimes the wait can be frustrating but makes it sweeter when it actually arrives.
just one small note, its probably not AppleCare theyre throwing in, its actually what is called Tri-Care which all Government and Education sales get by default. Only main difference is that you dont get the phone support for 3 years, but youve already discovered Macnn so youre obviously clued up and probably wont need that.
Enjoy the beast!

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2002, 11:31 PM

To answer my own question - my 1 gig combo arrived yesterday
afternoon in Adelaide. Very nice. No dead pixels yet !

Thanks for all the info.

Michael

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2002, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by mmurray:
To answer my own question - my 1 gig combo arrived yesterday
afternoon in Adelaide. Very nice. No dead pixels yet !

Thanks for all the info.

Michael
how long did it end up taking to arrive?

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2002, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by ngrundy:

how long did it end up taking to arrive?
Hi

Ordered 11/11 arrived 26/11.

Michael

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Nov 29, 2002, 05:57 AM

Got that magic call earlier today - my 1GHz SD PowerBook is here in Adelaide waiting for me!!!

Unfortunately I'm flat out all weekend so I won't have an opportunity to pick her up 'til Monday. Could have made arrangements to pick her up tonight but I knew I'd end up spending my weekend playing with her and not get anything done.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 07:05 PM

My partner has just picked it up for me, sweeeet

Forum Links
Forum Rules