Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any word on Final Cut Pro 4?

Any word on Final Cut Pro 4?
Macka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 02:23 AM

I know this potentially opens up a lot of speculation and rumours, but don't we love those.

Just wondering if anybody had opinions on when Final Cut Pro 4 (or the next major incantation of FCP) will be released.

Final Cut Express is tempting, but not if FCP4 is coming out in the next couple of months. If it's more like 6 months to a year, then it might be worth looking at FCE for the meantime.

Anyway...Got any inside info or just speculative opinions?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2003, 02:59 AM

There has been no word in the pipeline, as far as I know, about anything like this.

But FCP and FCE are for completely different markets. If you can get by with FCE, then you probably should; there's no news of there being any upgrade pricing from FCE to FCP, so it'll only be more expensive in the end.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

simifilm
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2003, 03:53 AM

No one knows for sure, but rumors are that it might be released at NAB in April. Anyway, with the release of FCE it looks rather obvious to me that FCP will be heading for the pro market while FCE is intended for the average consumer. I'm quite positive that FCP4 will see a massive feature addition.

saltines17
Senior User
Feb 6, 2003, 09:34 PM

Are updates to Final Cut Express expected to coincide with updates to Final Cut Pro? Or will, for example, Express be at version 3 when Pro gets updated to 4?

simifilm
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by saltines17:
Are updates to Final Cut Express expected to coincide with updates to Final Cut Pro? Or will, for example, Express be at version 3 when Pro gets updated to 4?
We will certainly see FCP4 this year and I doubt we will already see FCPExpress 2 this year.

saltines17
Senior User
Feb 8, 2003, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by simifilm:
We will certainly see FCP4 this year and I doubt we will already see FCPExpress 2 this year.
Oh, I was under the impression that Final Cut Express was at version 3 now just because that's where Pro was when Express was introduced. I guess it makes sense to start from version 1, though.

I read on a different thread that they have different engines, and that Pro is faster... any comments?

k2director
Senior User
Feb 10, 2003, 05:05 AM

Final Cut Express is version 1.0.

Final Cut Pro is version 3.0.4.

And Final Cut Express is no slower than Pro. I haven't compared code, of course, but I've used both products extensively (am writing Final Cut Express for Dummies). It looks like they share a very significant amount of code. It makes sense, as it makes it easy to implement each other's new features/tweaks in the future.

Forum Links
Forum Rules