Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 1.0 background repeat issue

Safari 1.0 background repeat issue
Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2003, 03:45 PM

Safari 1.0 has an issue with the background on my personal site (URL in sig).

The background should (and does with other browsers, even with Safari betas) be repeated vertically. With 1.0 It only repeats on to areas which are visible when the page is loaded. If I scroll down it loses the pattern.

I tried this with two iBooks (500 and 700) and both had the same effect. Both are running 10.2.6 and did not have the problem with the latest beta.

Is this an issue with Safari or possibly the page itself? Anyone else noticed the problem?
( Last edited by Nerozwei; Jun 29, 2003 at 04:40 PM. )

sreilly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2003, 11:20 PM

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing...except it doesn't appear to just be the visible part of the page. On my site (http://sarahsthreads.com/journal) the background only repeats down to the length of the left hand navigation div.

It used to work just fine in beta versions of Safari.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem!

petergallagher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 05:43 AM

Safari also makes a mess of no-repeat images in the background. On http://petergallagher.com.au the background image located in the top-right (by CSS in the body tag) is painted over by an anomalous white background when you scroll down more than about 30 lines.

No other browser seems to do this.

Also background image clipping using a background image that overlaps the edges of a table works in the Y-axis direction but not in the X-axis direction (see www.petergallagher.com.au/pwg)

Still beta...
Peter
http://www.petergallgher.com.au

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by petergallagher:
Still beta...
So true.. Seems they were in a rush to launch 1.0 at WWDC. It's still not as stable as I would like it to be and I think it is just weird that it had no problems with background repeating in previous versions. None of that I've heard of, anyway.

jkp23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2003, 02:47 PM

Does anyone have any news on this bug...a workaround maybe???

Cheers
--

jkp

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by jkp23:
Does anyone have any news on this bug...a workaround maybe???

Cheers
I'm thinking there's need to search for a work around, because they'll probably fix it in future updates. I've already sent them bug notices from a few pages which suffer from this bug/feature.

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2003, 03:23 PM

I tracked the problem down. It only appears if you use both repeated backgrounds and floating div elements. I've reported the problem with the bug-button.

Read more:

http://www.onda-media.com/jani/archi...bug/index.html

Cheers,
( Last edited by Nerozwei; Jul 3, 2003 at 03:51 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules