Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > ER diagram tool for OS X

ER diagram tool for OS X
Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2004, 06:28 AM

I'm in the process of writing my bachelor thesis work and would need to make diagrams of the database structure, etc.

Are there any good freeware/shareware tools for OS X that you would recommend for the job? The diagrams would need to be used in Word X documents. Is there a way of getting them there as vector graphics or do I just need to export the diagrams as bitmaps and paste them there?

One more thing (tm): If I paste screenshots, etc. bitmaps to Word and then see them using a windows machine I would need somekind of a QT plugin to see them. Is there any way of avoiding this? Importing images from external files (jpeg, gif, etc.) works fine.

EDIT: Admins please move this to the software forum since it might be more appropriate. I'm doing webdevelopment, but this might be a bit offtopic
( Last edited by Nerozwei; Jan 6, 2004 at 06:43 AM. )

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2004, 11:26 AM

I would look for a java solution to this, as you probably won't find a native osx app.
my quick search turned up this, this, and probably most promising: this.

--will

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 11:34 AM

You might want to take a look at OmniGraffle. You can get single day trial licenses online from them. It will save to any number of formats that you can then import into word. And if you bought one of Apple's pro machines (except XServe) somewhat recently you already have a license to 2.0 (3 is a good upgrade, and 3 pro is even better).

There are some things I wish it had, but it is rather nice.

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by clam2000:
I would look for a java solution to this, as you probably won't find a native osx app.
my quick search turned up this, this, and probably most promising: this.

--will
Thanks clam2000! DB Visualizer seems promising. Check out this view. I'll have to look into it tomorrow

EDIT:

Couldn't go to sleep without trying it out. Does what I asked for (see screenshot ). I'll just have to patch up screenshots to get all the tables in with a large enough font.

I was a bit worried about it being a Java app, but seems fast enough for my use on this iBook 700. Installation was a snap. Grab the installer and the JDBC driver and you're there.
( Last edited by Nerozwei; Jan 6, 2004 at 05:51 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules