Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Slow file sharing

Slow file sharing
MSchienle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2000, 07:41 PM

I just installed MacOS 9 on an iMac DV SE last week. I've set up file sharing and can see it from other systems on the network, all using MacOS 8.6. One system, a PB 1400/250 is connected to the 10/100 ethernet hub at 10 Mbps, the rest are at 100 Mbps. Unfortunately, the sharing is extremely slow from the PB 1400, but the other systems seem as fast as ever. What used to take a second to open a folder from the PB to the iMac now takes about 30 seconds. The problem appears to be the same whether TCP/IP sharing is enabled or not. The iMac doesn't seem affected by this, just the PB trying to share files from it. I checked the MacFixit and MacNN forums, but didn't find anything that clued me in. One suggestion was to trash the AppleShare PDS file on the iMac and let it get rebuilt. No change. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

------------------
Mike Schienle
Mike Schienle

macman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2000, 10:49 AM

There have been some issues with MacOS 9 and G3 upgrades. You may want to check the website of the manufacturer of your upgrade to see what is compatible. I would just go back to 8.6.

BeneMAC
Jan 14, 2000, 12:12 PM

You may have a problem with duplex settings. Try forcing the PB 1400 port to half duplex and/or the iMac port to full duplex.

For more info, see: http://www.macintouch.com/netswitches.html

microSPARC
Jan 14, 2000, 02:32 PM

I have had serious performance issues with Mac OS 9's file sharing. I have an 8600/200 and a Sawtooth G4 on a 100Mbps Ethernet, the 8600 with an Apple 10/100 card installed. I can't get more than about 1MB/sec.

alexeiser2
Jan 15, 2000, 10:28 AM

Not quite on topic, but I had a similar problem with mac OS 8.5-8.6 and filesharing to a 8.1. It would take almost 30 seconds to transfer a file to and from the machine. The solution was to upgrade it to mac os 8.6....

Alex

MSchienle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2000, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the Macintouch link. I'm quite certain I'm having the same problems mentioned. I have an older 4-port 10-Mbit hub that was replaced by the 8-port 10/100 Mbit hub mentioned. I'll add the older hub in between the PB 1400 and the 10/100 hub and see if that helps.

------------------
Mike Schienle
Mike Schienle

Forum Links
Forum Rules