Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Version Tracker or UpdateRadar

Version Tracker or UpdateRadar
Timothy Maxwell
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 02:29 AM

What is the difference between these two services? Which is better?
Timothy Maxwell
Bankers Mortgage Corporation
FHA Direct Lenders • No Down Payment • Bad Credit OK

Visit us on the Web at http://www.Bankersmc.com

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Feb 24, 2003, 11:40 AM

What's the domain name for UpdateRadar?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 02:13 PM

I like Versiontracker (long as you don't read the comments) over MacUpdate, although I never heard of UpdateRadar, so I'd be interested in that URL as well.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2003, 02:17 PM

I use MacUpdate cuz I have a menu item ... VersionTracker for actual downloading a program / searching for it etc
we don't have time to stop for gas

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2003, 03:06 PM

UpdateRadar is just a cocoa front-end to MacUpdate, I think.

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 03:06 PM

UpdateRadar is at http://www.ricciadams.com/

its a great little piece of shareware. I'll take it + MacUpdate over Versiontracker anyday.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2003, 07:56 PM

I highly recommend UpdateRadar. It's a fine piece of software.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 09:41 PM

Well, versiontracker consistently lists more apps than macupdates.
As for UpdateRadar, it seems rather redundant. Macupdates emails me notification of any updates I choose (for free).
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2003, 10:10 PM

I'd go with UpdateRadar. It is very well written and a good solution.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Timothy Maxwell  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 11:30 PM

What is the difference between the free version of VersionTracker and the Pay Version?
Timothy Maxwell

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
UpdateRadar is at http://www.ricciadams.com/

its a great little piece of shareware. I'll take it + MacUpdate over Versiontracker anyday.
My problem with macUpdate is the user reviews are on a diffeent page. I like clicking on an app, getting it's info and seeing what people think all in one tidy page. At MacUpdate, I have to click on user comments then go back to get more info on the app. Too much work, I'll stick with VT.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
My problem with macUpdate is the user reviews are on a diffeent page. I like clicking on an app, getting it's info and seeing what people think all in one tidy page. At MacUpdate, I have to click on user comments then go back to get more info on the app. Too much work, I'll stick with VT.
yeah, but at least at MacUpdate, I can easily get my download and go. I have to pay VT for that.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2003, 05:10 AM

Yeah, I don't know what I'd do without being to see all those reviews that read like, "I was tryeing to get this app, and while it was downlloading, my modem disconected! Then, StuffIt couldn't expand the .sit file!! This software not only doesn't work, it screwed up myy modem!!! ONE STAR!!!"

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Yeah, I don't know what I'd do without being to see all those reviews that read like, "I was tryeing to get this app, and while it was downlloading, my modem disconected! Then, StuffIt couldn't expand the .sit file!! This software not only doesn't work, it screwed up myy modem!!! ONE STAR!!!"
OMG!!!! that happened to you TO - was it coded in REALBASIC!!!

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Timothy Maxwell:
What is the difference between the free version of VersionTracker and the Pay Version?
The pay version provides you with an application which scans your applications folder and automatically checks it against the VersionTracker online database to notify you of updates and proceed with downloads. You can customize it to only update specific applications automatically.

Ricci Adams
Feb 25, 2003, 12:26 PM

Hello all,

I am the author of UpdateRadar - I just wanted to say that if anybody has any suggestions for the new 4.0 version (of which a public beta is currently available), please feel free to tell me

Have a great day!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2003, 12:33 PM

I love your program, but cannot purchase it so I dont use it anymore ... would be neat if you could specify stuff like direcr download or if you can check Version Tracker etc...
we don't have time to stop for gas

ohm^n
Feb 25, 2003, 12:40 PM

http://www.myndlinksw.com

Check out Renew. It's a little different from UpdateRadar because it isn't focused on finding new applications, it lets you keep track of things you've already got installed, and lets you download straight to your disk without having to launch a browser. You might also find wareWolf useful. Its goal is a bit closer to UpdateRadar's, but it gives you a comprehensive list compiled from VersionTracker, MacUpdate and MacOSXApps.

-Matt

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I like Versiontracker (long as you don't read the comments) over MacUpdate, although I never heard of UpdateRadar, so I'd be interested in that URL as well.
What is the deal with reading comments on VersionTracker? The links to read all comments are hit or miss (mostly miss). I used to use the reader's comments all the time to see if there were any show stoppers before I updated but it's become useless.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
For every idiot there 3 intelligent people tho. That's how I learned not to install that iTunes update that tore up your drive. They just save me time when I'm looking for an app I know nothing about.

tikki- What, 5 seconds is gonna kill you? I know its a little bit of a pain, but I don't notice much of a wait. Worth it because I don't download half as many apps because I've decided against it after reading the comments.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 12:55 PM

tikki- What, 5 seconds is gonna kill you? I know its a little bit of a pain, but I don't notice much of a wait. Worth it because I don't download half as many apps because I've decided against it after reading the comments.
I can get updates on the programs I use from MacUpdate w/o the 5 seconds.

Ricci Adams
Feb 28, 2003, 01:23 PM

I just wanted to announce that UpdateRadar 4.0 final was released yesterday.

Cheers,
Ricci Adams

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Ricci Adams:
I just wanted to announce that UpdateRadar 4.0 final was released yesterday.

Cheers,
Ricci Adams
hooray. It rocks.

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2003, 12:27 AM

Replying to the people saying that they prefer the VT review format over MacUpdate's review format:

Most of the VT reviews are 1-2 sentence blurbs that are generally unhelpful. With MacUpdate, users that post reviews have to click to a new page to post the review, making the MacUpdate user reviews much higher quality than the VT user reviews. With MacUpdate, you don't get users posting things like "yey! I got for post!!!!!!!"

As for VT's Pro desktop app and UpdateRadar, UpdateRadar is only $12 ONE TIME, whereas VT's is $49+ per year. Plus, UpdateRadar is much faster, and offer a cleaner interface than VT's desktop app.

-Joel Mueller
www.macupdate.com

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 9, 2003, 02:13 AM

MacUpdate has replaced Versiontracker on my Bookmarks bar. I am sick of clicking on 2 or 3 pages just to download a file. VT has went downhill ever sense they started that.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 02:53 AM

Zimphire:
I agree. Wow, I never realized how much better MacUpdate is. They even offer screenshots (on some programs). Also, the reviews are DEFINITELY more informative and mature. The VersionTracker reviews are short 1-2 lines of nonsense. I'm not sure why, but it just is. Anyways, like you, I'm visiting MacUpdate from now on, instead of VT.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 9, 2003, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Zimphire:
I agree. Wow, I never realized how much better MacUpdate is. They even offer screenshots (on some programs). Also, the reviews are DEFINITELY more informative and mature. The VersionTracker reviews are short 1-2 lines of nonsense. I'm not sure why, but it just is. Anyways, like you, I'm visiting MacUpdate from now on, instead of VT.
Don't get me wrong, I see no problem with VT trying to make money from EXTRA services. I don't however think they should be hindering the basic services to annoy people to PAY for VTPro or other pay services. If their Pro services are that good, they shouldn't HAVE to annoy people into paying for them.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 04:47 AM

Two things I'd like to see before start using MacUpdate.com:

1. Complete Website/Layout redesign.

2. Reviews in the first page. There may be some useless reviews but people are smart enough to ignore it and look for some useful reviews.

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
MacUpdate has replaced Versiontracker on my Bookmarks bar. I am sick of clicking on 2 or 3 pages just to download a file. VT has went downhill ever sense they started that.

Do you know that you can download programs with one click at WT too?

Just click on the size of the program instead of the name...for example, here's a typical VT listing:

Netjuke 1.0b17 - Web-based audio streaming jukebox for MP3 & OGG 1.2M Freeware

Clicking on "Netjuke" would show you the standard product info page, clicking on "1.2M" would go to the download page and start downloading after a few seconds, and clicking on "Freeware" would let you go to the developers page (extra click needed in this case).

Timothy Maxwell  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2003, 06:40 PM

That's true. You can directly download from VT by clicking on the size label. Also, with VT, you can search for other categories of software. For example, you can search for all software for the Palm OS that is related to a particular program type. If I wanted to find all programs used for contact management I could use a key word that would bring up related software.

You could do the same for the PC or MAC as well.
Timothy Maxwell

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2003, 02:13 AM

Actually, you can't direct download files from VT by clicking on the size unless your a paying member. It still brings you to an middle download page that has ads, and from there forwards you to the direct download link. MacUpdate doesn't have this. it's an immediate download.

Timothy Maxwell  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2003, 11:16 AM

That's true. It does take you to a web page that loaded with advertising. But it does begin the download immediately.

But, what about the availability of searching for other progarms outsided of the Mac platform. Does MacUpdate provide that ability?
Timothy Maxwell

tikki
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Timothy Maxwell:

But, what about the availability of searching for other progarms outsided of the Mac platform. Does MacUpdate provide that ability?
MacUpdate.

Not ComputerUpdate.
Not PalmUpdate
Not WindowsUpdate

Forum Links
Forum Rules