Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Keyboard suggestions

External Keyboard suggestions
adamflybot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 06:02 PM

I'm looking at buying an external keyboard for my powerbook and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Is an Apple Pro Keyboard really worth it? Are there any cheaper solutions? I really only need a basic keyboard. Money is a bit of an issue since I'm a student who spent most of his money on a new powerbook

Someone suggested that I should pick up an old Apple extended keyboard from eBay and buy an ADB to USB adapter. It is a little cheaper. Has anyone had any success with that? If I buy the old keyboard, I think I would mod it to match the alubook better.

elmer
Feb 9, 2003, 04:48 PM

MacAlly makes nice USB Mac keyboards. I am waiting for a bluetooth one to come out. I wonder how long I'll be waiting.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 9, 2003, 06:01 PM

The old iMac keyboards are cheap and work well. They don't gain you the forward delete key, (delete for PCs) but the MacAlly and Pro keyboards have that.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2003, 06:26 PM

I just recently bought an Apple Pro Keyboard to use with my iCurve and like it alot. Its a great keyboard. The fact that each side has a USB port makes it even better.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2003, 06:36 PM

Logitech Wireless Elite Kybd and Mouse, rock. The mouse is really nice, solid feeling, has a little weight to it which seems to imrprove my pointing accuracy.

The kybd has Mac symbols on it like the Apple key, etc.. All the buttons on it work in my programs, like "New" will open a new msg in Mail.app or a new document in Word. The Volume, Play, Stop, and Pause all work with iTunes.

It comes with an OS X Preferences Pane so you can customize your settings and what not.

The combo can be had for around $69 at Sam's Club and online if you look hard enough.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 07:40 PM

There's lots of solutions that can be found cheap here: www.provantage.com

Search for Mac Keyboards

I personally like the Adesso keyboards they sell.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 9, 2003, 10:29 PM

Moving to peripherals...

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 9, 2003, 10:31 PM

MacAlly's aren't as reliable as some other keyboards.

I for one have been very, very happy with my Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro. It's no longer available, having been replaced my the MS Office Keyboard. It's USB and the software for it is great, especially the OS X software.

tooki

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 11:06 PM

SuperGroove
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2003, 11:31 PM

I purchased a Logitech Elite Keyboard when I purchased my Griffin iCurve.

Great keyboard. I wish it were smaller. I wish it had a USB port.

All in all, i'm happy I didn't pay $60 for a keyboard like the Pro Keyboard costs.

Paul
-procrastinating.
Please could you stay awhile to share my grief, for its such a lovely day to have to always feel this way.
-Portishead

nerd
Senior User
Feb 11, 2003, 10:51 AM

I just got the Macally IceKey keyboard and love it. I got it because I had a Logitech (which worked very well) but it took up to much desk space with all the extra buttons that I didn't use. Before that I had the Apple Pro keyboard. With that keyboard I was always missing keys.

Brad

OreoCookie
Feb 11, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
I just recently bought an Apple Pro Keyboard to use with my iCurve and like it alot. Its a great keyboard. The fact that each side has a USB port makes it even better.
The volume control keys even work with Windows! This is how good the Pro Keyboard really is. You gotta get used to it though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 08:46 PM

The old iMac keyboards are cheap and work well.

Oh, don't do that. The keys seem slightly smaller than normal. Not a problem if you are a hunt and peck typer. But I had a great deal of difficulty typing on them.

The best "simple" choice is a Microsoft Office USB Keyboard. It is cheap, comes with a bunch of programmable "application keys," a scroll bar, buttons for copy, cut, paste, and an application switcher button. It has an excellent feel.

The next best would be to get an old ADB keyboard off eBay and get a ADB->USB adaptor. Those old Apple keyboards are very, very good. Very heavy duty as well. The tan color may be a bit jarring depending upon your system though. Make sure that you don't get a 3rd party ADB keyboard though. The one you want is the Apple Extended Keyboard II.

My favorite choice is an old school AT keyboard with a PS2->USB adaptor. There is a company that makes new ones as well, although I got several Northgate keyboards off eBay. The best there is. A very satisfying heavy feel and a real click. You just don't see keyboards like that anymore. If you used keyboards back in the mid 80's you know exactly what I'm talking about. The downside is that the older AT styled keyboards don't have a "windows key" which becomes the option key on the Mac. However the folks who made the original AT keyboards still make similar ones with the extra keys OSX needs.

http://www.toolspcs.com/attops2keyad.html

If you go for the older keyboards instead of the Microsoft keyboard you'll need adaptors. Here are some good links.

For ASB->USB: http://www.inclusive.co.uk/catalog/imate.shtml
For PS2->USB: http://www.inclusive.co.uk/catalog/adaptors.shtml

Hope that helps as most 3rd party keyboards I've used kind of suck.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 09:18 PM

Whoops, wrong link. This is the link to old school (80's) styled keyboards.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/

They have 104 key keyboards, so they'll have the "Windows key" which is interpreted by OSX as the option key.

The one you want is the EnduraPro/104.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2003, 11:09 AM

Hey everyone.

I picked up a Logitech Elite (wired) keyboard and an MX500 mouse. I love them both but have one problem with the keyboard:

The F ckin' Microsoft Windows logo on the alt/option key! I've tried using fingernail polish on a little section of one of the keys with no results. Black magic marker rubs off. What can I use to remove these offending images short of sandblasting them?

TIA!

GDiddy
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2003, 11:17 AM

Good choice on both products!!

As for that logo, argh I'd be ill as well...have ou tried a single-edge razor scraping it off? Paint thinner? If you want to (and are able to) you can remove the key, take a wood/metal file to it and file some of the top off til the logo is gone, then use sandpaper to smooth it back out, but that'd be a last resort.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Vanquish
Feb 26, 2003, 11:32 AM

for use with PowerBook or iBook: The Original Apple USB Keyboard�

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2003, 11:56 AM

Thanks AssassyN!

Popped the keys off and scraped 'em with a razor. Much better now:

http://www.plasticwonderland.com/macnn/gdiddy_setup.jpg
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2003, 10:45 AM

Hey everyone.

I picked up the Logitech Elite keyboard at Best Buy on the 14th and they put the thing on sale the next weekend! Went back in and the gave me a new reciept so now I can send in a rebate for $20! Brings the cost down to 20 bucks. Rebate ends on the the first.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
Thanks AssassyN!

Popped the keys off and scraped 'em with a razor. Much better now:

http://www.plasticwonderland.com/macnn/gdiddy_setup.jpg
Sweet deal!! I've used that single-edge razor trick on numerous things, glad it worked for you! And also, congrats on getting some money back on it, you got a deal!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
reviews.macnn.com
I need a keyboard with at least one USB port and a power button. I have the OEM Apple keyboard which came with my G4/AGP (black keys and power button). I've never been happy with the response of it (especially compared to my old ADP Alps with touchpad on my 6100/66). Now that the shift key is getting balky, I'm thinking of replacing it but I want to have a power button to start the G4. Suggestions?

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 3, 2003, 12:57 PM

I got the iceKey as Christmas gift. It's the best keyboard I've ever used next to the old Apple Extended Keyboard II. It's compact and doesn't take up a lot of space. They keys are full sized put have a low profile like a laptop keyboard. The iceKey uses high quality scissor switches instead of springs. Each key stroke is solid and responsive.

Originally posted by nerd:
I just got the Macally IceKey keyboard and love it. I got it because I had a Logitech (which worked very well) but it took up to much desk space with all the extra buttons that I didn't use. Before that I had the Apple Pro keyboard. With that keyboard I was always missing keys.

Brad

Forum Links
Forum Rules