Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mac Tax Software?

Mac Tax Software?
smitty825
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2004, 05:34 PM

It's tax time again...(doh!) What does everybody prefer for Mac Tax Software?

I know that there is Turbo Tax (I've used Quicken, and thus am not impressed with Intuit's Mac software), and TaxCut (Is this any good?)

The past few years, I've used Turbo Tax Online. However, the Mac support was poor, and I always ended up entering my data on a Windows Machine using IE.

So I want to buy an actual app for my Mac. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm assuming that the apps come with State versions of the software and the ability to file online? Is there anything I should look out for when buying something like this?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 05:46 PM

I've used both TurboTax (aka MacinTax) and TaxCut over the last several years, and to be honest, they're both pretty much the same - at least from my fairly simple tax perspective.
The MacOS X coding of each program has its strengths and weaknesses, mostly because of their Windows roots.

I've used TurboTax for the last two years (including this current tax season), and used TaxCut before that - mainly because TubroTax was not MacOS X native at the time.

Personally I'd recommend TurboTax slightly above TaxCut, mainly because Intuit has the potential for better support after the sale. But I could easily see people suggesting just the opposite.

And, yes, both offer electronic filing. State taxes are available as a "free" download after rebate.

-Q-
Jan 23, 2004, 06:06 PM

I'd have to recommend TurboTax over TaxCut. I tried TaxCut once and it was the buggiest POS I'd ever had the displeasure of using. I've never had trouble with TurboTax/Macintax.

wingnut16
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 06:38 PM

Its good to hear that turbo tax is the software to use with the mac because I am new to the mac and just bought a copy of turbo tax. Are there any pit-fall to watch for with this year version?

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 06:46 PM

I've used TaxCut since 1996 on both PC and Mac, and I've been happy with it. The only gripe I have against it is that they insist on making their own cutesy window design/skin. I hate programs that have their own special skin. I don't know if they're trying to make doing your taxes more pleasurable, but all they did was make it more annoying. As for bugs, I haven't encountered any.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 07:13 PM

I had monumental difficulties with TaxCut a few years ago. In fact, I'm not sure I even got the stupid thing isntalled right. (We actually use an accountant, but I wanted to see if I could find some other things!)

mudmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 01:50 PM

Has anyone tried the 2003 tax year editions, yet?

Reading over at Amazon, all of the reviews for TurboTax have been terrible (several instances of the program crashing and not being able to get beyond a particular step).

Only one current review for TaxCut and they loved it (this current edition).

I have always used TurboTax, but, never actually thought it was a good program.

So, what is the best program THIS year? Every year, these programs tend to have their faults...
Meh

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2004, 02:29 PM

i used turbotax this year. first time ive ever used tax prep software. its easy to use. bug free. makes doing it so darn simple. so simple in fact im doing some friends and parents taxes for them.
its great.
it took me about 15-20 minutes to do my taxes, about 2 days to get confirmation, and a little less than 2 weeks to get my refund. im one happy camper

my review of TurboTax:
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Buck_W
Senior User
Feb 2, 2004, 04:48 PM

This is my second year using Turbo Tax and I couldn't be more pleased. It worked exceptionally well for me... very smooth... no bugs at all.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2004, 05:00 PM

I've used TurboTax (as MacinTax) for over 10 years and aside from the order fulfillment problem I had this year, it's been fine. Beware of frequent and large program updates if you don't have a broadband internet connection.

The only glitch I noticed this year was a new wrinkle in the NY State tax law which requires residents to declare sales tax for products purchased out of state and internet purchases. There are 3 allowable methods which are declare nothing and enter zero, track and compute your actual sales tax owed and manually enter it in TurboTax and use the worksheet provided in the IT-201 form which estimates the sales tax based on your federal AGI. Unfortunately, TurboTax NY does not have the estimate worksheet loaded so you've got to go to the state's web site and do the math yourself and fill in the blank on the NY State form.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 09:28 PM

Nearly done with federal on TurboTax, and so far no issues.
Haven't yet downloaded the State forms yet.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by smitty825:

I know that there is Turbo Tax (I've used Quicken, and thus am not impressed with Intuit's Mac software), and TaxCut (Is this any good?)

The past few years, I've used Turbo Tax Online. However, the Mac support was poor, and I always ended up entering my data on a Windows Machine using IE.

So I want to buy an actual app for my Mac. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm assuming that the apps come with State versions of the software and the ability to file online? Is there anything I should look out for when buying something like this?
I used TurboTax for the web last year when they put all that activation crap in the PC version. It's actually quite nice... pretty much identical to the "installed" version, and you get a PDF at the end that you can save and print, which is a lot nicer for archiving than the stack of printouts.

Last year it was a bit dodgy from Safari (radio buttons were a bit goofy) but worked fairly well... worth a check out this year perhaps.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 02:22 AM

I had no problem with TaxCut last year, and so re-upped with them this year.

I ran through the preliminary version of the 2003 federal software in December and had no problems. Will be downloading the State versions and updated federal version in a week or so and finishing everything up.

So far, so good.

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2004, 12:21 PM

My experience with TaxCut was initially very good. Saved a few bucks over MacinTax/TurboTax and all was well with the outcome.

Going back to reprint backups of my 2000 and 2001 returns this year proved totally flawed. I needed copies for a home loan since I'm self employed. I figured "just load TaxCut and load the backups I had on INDIVIDUAL ZIP DISKS for each return and print away. Well, no dice. The program won't load it's own backups. I tried under OS 9 (and in Classic) for 2000- didn't work. I tried under Classic, OS 9, and OS X for 2001 (Since it clearly says on the box MADE FOR OS X!. Didn't work.

Needless to say, TaxCut is worthless. Support was no help at all ("you need to run the software under the exact OS you created the return on, on the exact same machine"!!!????!!!!).

This year I'm letting my PC do the work. TurboTax for PC is cheaper, and comes with all kinds of free goodies after rebate.

I do, though, guess the moral of the story is print multiple backup copies of your returns.

Kevin

CatOne
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by smitty825:

As an FYI I did TurboTax online (www.turbotax.com) from Panther running Safari 1.2... it worked great (well, it used a fair bit of CPU but it worked fine... unlike last year which was flaky).

It's $19.95, plus another $19.95 if you do a state filing also.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
As an FYI I did TurboTax online (www.turbotax.com) from Panther running Safari 1.2... it worked great (well, it used a fair bit of CPU but it worked fine... unlike last year which was flaky).

It's $19.95, plus another $19.95 if you do a state filing also.
I've been using TT online for the last 5 years and have had Zero problems. This year I used it with Panther & Camino....
Now I'm just waiting on that direct deposit
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2004, 02:20 PM

Another vote for TT Online. Been using it for years.

ed phelan
Feb 6, 2004, 02:59 PM

I take it that there is no problem running TurboTax with OS 10.3.2 but am not 100% sure this is the case. Can someone who has used the app successfully confirm that it works please? Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules