Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.8 out!

10.3.8 out! (Page 3)
RonnieoftheRose
Feb 11, 2005, 10:08 PM

Safari is pretty fast after this update.

opti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
Safari is pretty fast after this update.
People keep saying that, I will have to try it again. I stopped using it some time ago primarily due to speed; I've been using nightlies of Camino since then.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
I am not touching 10.3.8 with a ten foot pole on my DP 2.0. And I sincerely don't see how Highest Performance is a fix for the issue being reported. Highest makes my G5 considerably hotter. Perhaps there is a general explanation for this issue. Perhaps it was the G5 (June) Firmware update - I only draw that hypothesis because it's one variable that would apply to all of us, we either installed it or did not. At least one poster reported not having any problems on his G5. So how many of you with irregular fan activity applied the patch, and how many did not?
I'm actually thinking it may be a rev. A vs. rev. B thing. I have a rev. B machine but have not applied the update yet. However, from all rev. B owners I've heard from thus far (seven total), they all report no problems with the update.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 06:57 AM

No problems on a Rev B dual 2.0, everything does indeed seem Snappier� as mentioned by many others. Intake fans seems to rev up more than before (to about 700 - 850 rpm, instead of staying pretty steady at 300) but there is no real noise difference. So I'm pleased.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2005, 08:20 AM

Well after 10.3.8 when i power on my iBook the fan revs at high speed for a few seconds, stops, the startup chime and startup as usual. After that no other strange fan activity.

I wonder if Apple choose to fix this or ignore it also?
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

dvot
Feb 12, 2005, 08:52 AM

Right after booting the fan comes on, I don't evenhave to run an app. I left the log in screen as is for about 15 min. while on the phone and had to leave the room because the Harrier landed in my office. WTF???

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2005, 11:44 AM

This update fixed my incessant Myst IV crashes. Phew!

MaxieZeus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Sophus:
Somone else had the problem (most likely at least). It was caused by some third party app that is incompatible with 10.3.8. Check your log file. Look for errors and see if it has grown extremely large. Run Onyx and clear all caches/log files. See if you can find the cuplrit looking at system monitor etc. I'm sorry I can'tremember which app and where I read about it...
Yup... looks like I had two. The driver for the Wacom tablet, and the driver for the iShock USB controller. Maybe this is some kind of a USB issue?

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 05:01 PM

Hi,

after experiencing what about every Dual 1.8 G5 did (fans fans fans) and switching to "max" (fans silent) I encounter an annoying thing: my Finder tends to take all the processor's power when it is expected to run idle. I get 2x 60-100% cpu load!

I have to kill the Finder every 30 min or so to bring senseless system load down. Any fix for THAT?

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 05:13 PM

Nice to see they fixed that "rare" bug with the PowerBooks. My 15" Al decided to go into screen saver mode/display off overnight and not wake up the next morning. No response from keyboard or mouse; had to do a hard reset.

Thanks Crapple.

(DiskWarrior and Disk Utility both reported no problems; installed 10.3.8 using combo installer from 10.3.7)

So, in essence, the bug is still there.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2005, 06:53 PM

I applied the update after being ignorrant that it was really happening to all G5s....

Well, I come to humble myself now that my G5 was also effected.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

garrettpjames
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 07:05 PM

I just installed 10.3.8 via software update on my 2.5.

I get a little "firefoxy" spinning widget in the bottom corner of my finder window when i click on a folder. No files appear for any of my folders in the finder when I try to navigate in the finder.

If I switch back and forth between list/columns/list/columns and click back and forth between different folders, sometimes the contents appear.

I restart, same problem all over again... any ideas?

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2005, 04:58 PM

Argh. It broke FeltTip's Sound Studio for me...no big deal; it came with my eMac but I can just use Audacity. Otherwise it's been fine.

Any word on the OpenGL "improvements"? My guess is just Radeon X800 support, but if there's more, I'm all ears...
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 10:04 AM

Everything is fine except for my monitor failing to wake from sleep which requires a hard reset (G4 AGP, Sonnett duet 500 w/ ATI Radeon Mac Edition after market). Had this problem since 10.3.6 with 2 different monitors with two different sources (analog and digital).

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by lexhair:
Everything is fine except for my monitor failing to wake from sleep which requires a hard reset (G4 AGP, Sonnett duet 500 w/ ATI Radeon Mac Edition after market). Had this problem since 10.3.6 with 2 different monitors with two different sources (analog and digital).
This sounds like the dreaded crash-when-wake-from-sleep syndrome that affects a number of CPU upgrades.

Has been the case with my Cube after Powerlogix 1GHZ upgrade. Works excellent with the original CPU. No wakey with Powerlogix. Annoying as hell. It seems like the computer really wakes up (i.e. disk spins up, flashing light stops flashing etc.) But it is not just the screen being black, in reality, the computer has crashed. If you can't ssh in to it, it is frozen/crashed. See reports for your CPU at xlr8yourmac.com database and try to SSH in to it when the screen is black to verify.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 10:34 AM

how do you see how many RPM's your fans are doing?

P
Feb 14, 2005, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
how do you see how many RPM's your fans are doing?
Using, for instance, this app:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Sophus:
This sounds like the dreaded crash-when-wake-from-sleep syndrome that affects a number of CPU upgrades.

Has been the case with my Cube after Powerlogix 1GHZ upgrade. Works excellent with the original CPU. No wakey with Powerlogix. Annoying as hell. It seems like the computer really wakes up (i.e. disk spins up, flashing light stops flashing etc.) But it is not just the screen being black, in reality, the computer has crashed. If you can't ssh in to it, it is frozen/crashed. See reports for your CPU at xlr8yourmac.com database and try to SSH in to it when the screen is black to verify.
Could be right but I've had the upgrade in my Sawtooth for almost 3 years without a problem in Jaguar and Panther until 10.3.6.

I'll try to SSH in and report back. Thanks.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 01:14 PM

Did a compelte reinstall of the system fix the problems on 10.3.8 and the G5 fans? I'm looking for a solution and putting the processors on Highest is not a fix, it's an annoying work-around.

Dr.Michael
Feb 18, 2005, 06:42 AM

I have installed 10.3.8 some days ago and tried to run Software Update through the System Preferences pane now for the first time after the update.
It aborted with an error and did not work any more.

Update
######
I have connected to a different network and everything works fine.
Seems one of our linux servers has been the bad guy ;o).
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Feb 23, 2005 at 05:19 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
I have installed 10.3.8 some days ago and tried to run Software Update through the System Preferences pane now for the first time after the update.
It aborted with an error and did not work any more.
Same PowerBook, same OS version, but no problems here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules