Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! My Powerbook won't read CD-R discs!

Help! My Powerbook won't read CD-R discs!
maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 04:39 PM

I have a Powerbook Ti DVI with a combo drive that has decided it doesn't like CD-R discs. It will not read discs that I burned with the same drive a few months ago, nor will it read discs burnt with other drives. It does this with all brands of CDs I have tried. It has no problems with normal CDs, and sometimes it will read a CD-R with no problem (not very often though). This problem has been getting worse for a while; it used to choke on an occasional disc, but now it won't read 99% of what I put in it! When I insert a disc the drive spins it up and i can hear the read/write head moving back and forth and back and forth for a long time. Usually the disc will mount (sometimes the disc mounts fast without the thrashing), but when it does everything on the disc is s-l-o-w to open, and many files will not copy (especially large files). More and more now the disc will just not mount, and after a long while the drive spits out the disc.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Would a lens cleaning disc work, or do I need to remove the drive and use compressed air? Or is it some other non-dirt related issue?

maceye  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2004, 01:29 AM

I just burned an audio cd in itunes and my stupid drive couldn't even read that!! It burned it ok though, so maybe it's not the lens?

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 03:52 AM

I have the same problem here with my TiBook 800, though it's not as bad (yet). Very frustrating when it happens with my own discs, very unhelpful for my work when it happens with clients' discs. I almost bought a new AIBook last friday because of this (and because my analog sound -loudspeakers, earphone jack, microphone- has been blown for a year now and I haven't heard a peep from my 'book since.

Sometimes hitting the 'book on top of the CD drive while it desperately tries to position the laser has helped�
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Dr.Michael
Jan 22, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by maceye:
I have a Powerbook Ti DVI with a combo drive that has decided it doesn't like CD-R discs. It will not read discs that I burned with the same drive a few months ago, nor will it read discs burnt with other drives. It does this with all brands of CDs I have tried. It has no problems with normal CDs, and sometimes it will read a CD-R with no problem (not very often though). This problem has been getting worse for a while; it used to choke on an occasional disc, but now it won't read 99% of what I put in it! When I insert a disc the drive spins it up and i can hear the read/write head moving back and forth and back and forth for a long time. Usually the disc will mount (sometimes the disc mounts fast without the thrashing), but when it does everything on the disc is s-l-o-w to open, and many files will not copy (especially large files). More and more now the disc will just not mount, and after a long while the drive spits out the disc.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Would a lens cleaning disc work, or do I need to remove the drive and use compressed air? Or is it some other non-dirt related issue?
This sounds pretty much like the problems I had with my 500 MHz TiBook. It had to do with bad alignment of the disk in the drive (as far as I read somewhere).
But there was no fix. I bought a new drive, which developed the same problems 6 months later.
Shocking to hear again that also the combos have that problem (there was a similar posting some time ago).
I sold my TiBook mainly because of the trouble with the drive. Hope the buyer does not need the drive a lot.

Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules