Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Use a pc to slave for your Mac

Use a pc to slave for your Mac
Snellfharer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 05:14 AM

PeeCee's are cheap, so why waste a good Mac for a server?

I'm using ClarkConnect, a Linux distro that turns a PeeCee in to a dedicated server (with LOTS of features + firewall).
My box has been up for about 70 days and doesn't need a monitor or keyboard (since boot).

It even runs as a webserver with a free dynamic domain, se:
http://snellfharer.pointclark.net/ (no useful website thou)

You have to innstall "netatalk" to use it as an AppleTalk file server but from there it's pretty easy.
Just make a user in the webadmin interface and log in trough the servers IP as if it was a Mac.

More at: www.clarkconnect.org for the free Home edition.

Further, any Linux distro with netatalk can share Mac-volumes.
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/

JB72
Mac Elite
May 21, 2004, 06:40 PM

I think using a Linux PC as a server is a pretty common solution. It won't have the niceties of OS X, but for simple stuff it will be fine. Oh, and you could use Samba too, if you didn't need Appletalk.

I'm hoping if Apple makes distributed rendering available for the pro apps (FCP, DVDSP, etc.,) that a Linux version will be available.

Forum Links
Forum Rules