Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > HTML page w/ passwords for FTP?

HTML page w/ passwords for FTP?
JB72
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 02:09 PM

I've been requested by my work (very small business) to find out a way to add a password protected page to our site. I'm pretty HTML ignorant, and I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this. What would be the easiest way to go about this? Any leads appreciated.

TIA

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 02:25 PM

If you are running on apache, then take a look at .htaccess files. You can find documentation all over the place. Alternately you can look into password protection under PHP... the online documentation at the php site has plenty of information to get you going.

JB72  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 06:48 PM

Thanks.

We're actually not hosting the site ourselves. The PHP thing sounds like it would work, but I think it's way over my head.

beni
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
I've been requested by my work (very small business) to find out a way to add a password protected page to our site. I'm pretty HTML ignorant, and I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish this. What would be the easiest way to go about this? Any leads appreciated.

TIA
The easiest way would probably be to ask the hosting company to do it for you. Create a directory on your server, and ask them to protect it. This would probably take them around 30 seconds. Try to contact one of the technicians directly, as they are more likely to just do it without charging you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules