Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE, Firefox, Safari, etc. - why make a browser?

IE, Firefox, Safari, etc. - why make a browser?
FTrain
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 11:32 PM

Why do companies fight Microsoft over the browser market? I understand how Google and the search engines make money, but I don't understand the business model for the browser space. How is it valuable marketshare?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 11:39 PM

These days it's impossible to sell a computer/operating system without a web browser. It's therefore essential for Apple to have a first class web browser for Macintosh. Microsoft has one for the same reason, and by "shaping" the web a little bit to their liking, they can lock out others. Opera's business is mainly devices that don't run Windows (PDAs, cell phones etc.)

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 11:39 PM

It's not about marketshare, it's about making a better product.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 11:55 PM

If no one else made browsers, then we'd all be stuck using Longhorn come 2006 (or 2007...2008... ) for internet surfing since MS won't be distributing IE separately anymore, and it's the worst mainstream browser out there anyway (this from my experience in making websites and as an end user).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

FTrain  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 12:07 AM

So am I understanding correctly that the reason to do it is not because there is any money in browsers but because you have to make one if you offer an OS? I guess what I don't get is why Firefox exists then--they don't make an OS.

My original question wasn't a criticism of making them, just curiosity about how anyone actually makes money with them. One of you mentioned that it's not about marketshare, but about making a better product, but it can only be about making a better product if there is a business rationale to do so. That was the root of my question--just generally, what is the business rationale for making them and fighting over the space. I guess I understand it. But maybe not completely.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2005, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by FTrain:
I guess what I don't get is why Firefox exists then--they don't make an OS.
Firefox (and all the Mozillas) is an open source project. It is in large parts written by people who write it in their spare-time (as a hobby if you will) by intrinsic motivation (creating a better product, pride to work in a well known project etc.) It is also supported by companies that do make an OS (Linux distributions, Unices).

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 01:31 AM

Why make OS X when Windows exists?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2005, 02:48 AM

Some people program because they want to make huge piles of money. Some people program because they enjoy it and/or want to make a product that can be useful to them. The Firefox developers are the latter type. The former type, in general, are frustrated wage slaves (with a few exceptions, like Bill Gates).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2005, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by FTrain:
Why do companies fight Microsoft over the browser market?
1) Because Microsoft only makes browsers for Windows. Firefox is available on platforms which IE is not, and the rendering core behind Safari began life as a similar project. The business model is simple: keeping your platform viable to a huge number of users who consider browsers to be almost as vital as word processing if not more so.

2) Because Microsoft's browser is so atrocious that entirely new classes of malware have been made possible thanks to its Swiss-cheese security, and so bad that the Web is fully five years behind where it might otherwise be technology-wise if Microsoft would only conform to real Web standards.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules