Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone buy iWork yet, and get it?

Anyone buy iWork yet, and get it?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 12:16 PM

Maybe some Apple store got theirs early?

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 12:23 PM

Even if the shipment arrived early, Steve would have their head if it was put out before the 22nd.

I just checked my online order, and it hasn't shipped yet. I ordered it about two hours after the Keynote concluded.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2005, 02:39 PM

Yes there is a post at Ars apparently he got it off the internet. Oh well, I ordered mine last night- supposedly it is going to get here on Saturday.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 02:48 PM

i ordered mine the shortly after the keynote (ilife and iwork). it said it would be delivered on the 22nd, so i did not pay for more shipping. the shipping now says 2 day and it says it will ship on or before the 21st.

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 03:15 PM

Lucky people - mine isn't meant to ship before 29th!

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
i ordered mine the shortly after the keynote (ilife and iwork). it said it would be delivered on the 22nd, so i did not pay for more shipping. the shipping now says 2 day and it says it will ship on or before the 21st.
Ordered the same things (though I did wait a few days -- set to deliver Saturday.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 03:37 PM

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2005, 03:48 PM

Why did I waste my $11 on two day... oh well...This program better be snappy
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2005, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:
Why did I waste my $11 on two day... oh well...This program better be snappy
oh it's definitly faster on load up compared to office.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 04:08 PM

I got mine today...

not as impressed with pages as I thought I would be. maybe because I'm used to word. templates rock but it's a bit cumbersome right now for me to use it... maybe get it some time.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 04:10 PM

Post some screenshots of Pages please.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2005, 07:24 PM

I bought it. I also downloaded the full cd from "somewhere" It's actually better than it looked! It's pretty much got all the features one needs. I didn't like the toolbar layout so I changed it. The included templates are first rate. It imported all my office documents with no problem. It even imported the ones that had excel tables embedded into them (turning them into plain tables) Did good with documents made in Word 2004 that were stuffed full of images.

Keynote 2 is really impressive. Every object can have it's own effect or transition. Reminds me of Flash. I even exported to .SWF file. I was dissapointed that it didn't let me define framerate or other flash settings, but it exported all the animated effects!!! (even ones applied directly to text) and not page transitions... Impressive.

the new iLife suite is equally impressive. iPhoto is more responsive.. I'd still like a a feature to organize my imges somewhere else. Scrolling is much improved...

Somebody setup a place for me to dump photos (i'm too lazy to signup somewhere for free) and I will link them here for people to preview...

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Post some screenshots of Pages please.
what do you want to see?

here's a shot of the toolbar items:

http://www.centexnetwork.com/users/toolbar.jpg

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by ashtoash:
Somebody setup a place for me to dump photos (i'm too lazy to signup somewhere for free) and I will link them here for people to preview...
http://imageshack.us

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 08:54 PM

http://imageshack.us
zip them in a folder and email them to me

guicho @ gmail . com

i'll post them for you

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 10:11 PM

Looks like Apple has begun to ship iWork '05 out already.

I ordered it on the 17th with standard free shipping, but it upgraded to 2-day as usual. Anyway, I ordered the academic box for $49.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 10:25 PM

I am looking forward to Pages myself. I have zero use for Keynote.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 10:28 PM

I had zero use until one of my classes requires presenations all the time!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2005, 10:32 PM

I hear the html output is horrible. Can anyone confirm?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
I had zero use until one of my classes requires presenations all the time!
i had to do some presentations for one of my classes. my group got chosen to go first. i plugged my powerbook into the projector, used my bluetooth phone with salling clicker to control keynote, and dropped the whole classes' jaws.

no one wanted to go after us. they all used powerpoint.

i can't wait to see what keynote 2 can do

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 11:20 PM

i had to do some presentations for one of my classes. my group got chosen to go first. i plugged my powerbook into the projector, used my bluetooth phone with salling clicker to control keynote, and dropped the whole classes' jaws.

I was in that class. It wasn't that you used your phone to control the slides. No one had the heart to tell you that your fly was unzipped.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I am looking forward to Pages myself. I have zero use for Keynote.
Me too. But I bet when I get iWork I'll start being "Mr. Presentation" with my ideas at work.

WANTED

1) I wish iWork would have one of those deals where you can buy several licenses at a discount. A Five pack would be great.

2) A screenwriting template would be insanely useful. Keynote has a storyboard template.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 01:47 AM

I had a similar experience, but without the cellphone and Salling Clicker. Keynote is absolutely amazing. The only drawback is that it's kind of hard to do joint presentations when everyone else only has Powerpoint. Imported ppt's always require a ton of tweaking, and vice versa if you export to ppt from Keynote.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by midwinter:
I was in that class. It wasn't that you used your phone to control the slides. No one had the heart to tell you that your fly was unzipped.
LOL

aaaaanyway, i got a shipping email from apple this morning. ilife and iwork shipped last night sometime, the will arrive tomorrow. i can't wait.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 10:43 AM

LOL

aaaaanyway, i got a shipping email from apple this morning. ilife and iwork shipped last night sometime, the will arrive tomorrow. i can't wait.
I echo the LOL. Mine, too has shipped and will arrive tomorrow.

A question for those who've already received it: can you take an open file and send it immediately as an attachment via e-mail? I use AppleWorks primarily, but end up cutting and pasting a Word version for e-mailing to people when I need to (and it's many times a week). I love Word's "send" feature which automatically turns whatever document I'm in into an attachment and calls up the whole e-mail file for addressing. (I've made up my own hot key for the process as well.)

AW is missing this feature (or at least it's hidden from me!) and I would really like it added to ipages.

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
AW is missing this feature (or at least it's hidden from me!) and I would really like it added to ipages.
I think you can just drag the document's icon from the titlebar onto mail.app in the dock...
mail.app should open up with a new blank email with the file attached.
http://bestbits.ii.net/ for widgets and more

leperkuhn
Senior User
Jan 20, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by ntt:
I think you can just drag the document's icon from the titlebar onto mail.app in the dock...
mail.app should open up with a new blank email with the file attached.
Good call. It does. I always forget you can drag.. pretty much anything.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by JB72:

2) A screenwriting template would be insanely useful. Keynote has a storyboard template. [/B]
Yes, yes, yes. Did I say yes?

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
Good call. It does. I always forget you can drag.. pretty much anything.

Well, I'm trying it and I can't get it to work. I'm dragging it from the listing -- and that's not what I want to do anyway. And I can't drag anything from the title bar. Obviously -- if you're doing it and I'm not -- I'm doing something wrong. any idea what?
Thanks.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
2) A screenwriting template would be insanely useful. Keynote has a storyboard template.
Apparently, template construction is so easy that you could make one.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 04:57 PM

Well, I'm trying it and I can't get it to work. I'm dragging it from the listing -- and that's not what I want to do anyway. And I can't drag anything from the title bar. Obviously -- if you're doing it and I'm not -- I'm doing something wrong. any idea what?
Thanks.
You can drag the proxy-icon in the windows title bar (if the document is saved). Just click this icon in the title bar (don't release the mouse), wait a little bit, then drag it into the Mail icon in the Dock.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 05:08 PM

Thanks.
The tiny icon next to the title in the open document window functions just like a regular finder icon (although it does only appear after saving). click and drag this icon from the title bar to the Mail icon in the Dock.
This can be done in most apps.

Apple should put up a demo version of Pages, it would get a lot more people to try it and realise just how good an app it really is. Far more powerful than 'other' WP apps without the complexity. It actually falls somewhere between Word and pro DTP apps like InDesign and Xpress.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Jan 20, 2005 at 05:15 PM. )

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 05:25 PM

Do you have Apple Works? My open documents have NO icon. And I've looked for a way to add one. Can't find it. I did try this with Word and of course there is an icon. (Of course, I don't have any difficulties with Wod and e-mailing anyway!)

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jan 20, 2005, 06:44 PM

Do you have Apple Works? My open documents have NO icon. And I've looked for a way to add one. Can't find it. I did try this with Word and of course there is an icon. (Of course, I don't have any difficulties with Wod and e-mailing anyway!)
AppleWorks doesn't support proxy icons. I've written a small AppleScript for you that hopefully does what you want. I don't have webspace at the moment, so please download the file from:

http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2B...M1RT3M2I6R27ZH

Unstuff the file, open AppleWorks, select "Open Scripts Folder" from the "Script" menu (it's next to the "Help" menu) and put the script in the folder.
When you restart AppleWorks, you have a new command called "Send email" in the "Script" menu and when you select it, it will open a new Mail message and attach the current document.

KS-Jayhawk
Jan 20, 2005, 07:29 PM

I ordered iLife after the keynote, I looked and it just shipped out today, priority overnight, why didn't Apple just ship mine yesterday and not have to pay for the overnight? Anyhow, I'm glad to see that I will be receiving it tomorrow

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Tsilou B.:
AppleWorks doesn't support proxy icons. I've written a small AppleScript for you that hopefully does what you want. I don't have webspace at the moment, so please download the file from:

http://s8.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2B...M1RT3M2I6R27ZH

Unstuff the file, open AppleWorks, select "Open Scripts Folder" from the "Script" menu (it's next to the "Help" menu) and put the script in the folder.
When you restart AppleWorks, you have a new command called "Send email" in the "Script" menu and when you select it, it will open a new Mail message and attach the current document.

It works! Thank you so much. Of course, iPages will probably support this from the get-go...

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 04:33 AM

its so not fair - merely because I waited a couple of days ( ), I'm not going to get mine for another week and a half. Dang! I really want a cool WP now!

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 09:56 AM

That is an AWESOME story, what can I say.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
You can drag the proxy-icon in the windows title bar (if the document is saved). Just click this icon in the title bar (don't release the mouse), wait a little bit, then drag it into the Mail icon in the Dock.
Excellent tip, thanks!

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 10:00 AM

It works! Thank you so much. Of course, iPages will probably support this from the get-go...
By the way, it's "Pages."

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 10:24 AM

Oops! Got my applications mixed up. Once both of them get here (today!) I'm sure I'll get my brain in gear and get things straight.

At least I didn't call an app "ifilemaker" or something...

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Dex13:
zip them in a folder and email them to me

guicho @ gmail . com

i'll post them for you
What's the latest with those screenshots? My copy is arriving tomorrow or Monday, but I'm anxious to see more--especially the templates like resumes, cover letters, and brochures.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 11:02 AM

For those of you who don't have your copy yet and are interested in some screen shots, here's a link to MacShrine.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 11:20 AM

This always shows the templates. I would like to see how Pages looks without a template. Just a normal empty page and how it looks if you type text yourself starting from an empty page. If possible with the ruler(s) turned on. I would also like to see how the palettes (especially the document palette) look in German.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Jan 21, 2005 at 11:27 AM. )

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 11:32 AM

got my copy this morning. Pages is beautiful. Right now Word and Pages are having a power struggle when it comes to opening Word documents by default though. I set it under Open With to use Pages by default, but Word is just being silly about it. Any suggestions?

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 11:36 AM

i did the exact same thing and my class did the exact same thing. i even got pulled aside after class by my professor and he asked what i used to create the presentation. A.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 11:38 AM

my professor asked me if he could get a copy of the software. 2 things, mac only, and go buy it yourself.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
i did the exact same thing and my class did the exact same thing. i even got pulled aside after class by my professor and he asked what i used to create the presentation. A.
Keynote is an instant A in any presentation. It's such a beautiful thing. Embed video in the presentation, and you get bonus points :-)

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 12:07 PM

my professor asked me if he could get a copy of the software. 2 things, mac only, and go buy it yourself.
Go buy it yourself is right.

podshop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Stecchino:
For those of you who don't have your copy yet and are interested in some screen shots, here's a link to MacShrine.
Thanks for posting the link with the screen shots. I am really anxious to try out Pages, and after looking at it in more detail, I know I will have to get iWork. Apple just makes things so easy to use and intuitive. I can't wait to dump M$ Word.

I'm not sure where you are in Nebraska, but I'm in Council Bluffs, Iowa just east of Omaha. The Mac-carrying stores around here are slim to none, but hopefully I'll get a chance to see iWork, iLife '05, and the Mac mini 'face to face' soon.

Thanks again.
Christopher Anderson
PodShop
iDrops: Clean, polish, and remove scratches from iPod, iBook, etc.
PodHolder: Clear acrylic stand/display for iPod.
http://podshop.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules