Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > icons on dock

icons on dock
Ant1-Hero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2008, 06:55 PM

does haveing more icons on the dock use up more resources or ram?

i have 38 in total and yes i use them all, all the time.

just looking at a program that is supposed to minamalize using icons, is it worth it?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2008, 07:43 PM

no, 38 will not slow your system down, but try dragging a folder full of items into the bottom part of the dock instead, this will save space. Don't bother with third party programs to reduce the number of items, this functionality is built in.

Cold Warrior
Jan 12, 2008, 07:48 PM

If you're using Leopard -- where Spotlight is faster and results default to an application, if it finds a match -- then Spotlight makes a great app launcher. I've been able to keep a number of apps out of my dock and use spotlight. It's actually faster for me to hit command-space, then type the first few letters of those apps, than it is to navigate to the dock, position the cursor over its icon, then click.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
It's actually faster for me to hit command-space, then type the first few letters of those apps, than it is to navigate to the dock, position the cursor over its icon, then click.
That's probably distorted perception.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 02:53 AM

That's probably distorted perception.
Maybe not for him...taking your hand off the keyboard, moving it to the mouse, then moving the mouse to the icon you want and clicking might just take longer than what he's talking about.

In any event, it would be interesting to see the time on either method.

the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2008, 05:04 AM

It doesn't make a significant difference to your system resources in Leopard. I think a bigger factor should be that it's hard to find any particular icon once the Dock reaches a certain threshold, so it kind of defeats the point of a quick launcher. I generally have 10 apps in my Dock and if I want to access another, I have the Applications folder in my Dock as well.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules