Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Consolidating iTunes music files AND libraries

Consolidating iTunes music files AND libraries
FTrain
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2008, 10:58 AM

I have iTunes music files in several locations on my hard drive. I also have several different libraries but none of them are complete.

I want to consolidate all my libraries into one library that has all of my music on it. I also want to move all of my music into one master folder that hopefully won't have multiple copies of multiple songs.

How can I do this? I've searched for info on how to do this, and I keep getting threads about "Consolidate Library" and "Moving Music Folder". But neither is what I'm trying to do. I can't use Consolidate Library, because I need a new library with everything. And I don't want to move my Music Folder, I want to move all of my different music files into one folder.

Here's what I've tried:
1. I created a new folder on my hard drive for all of my music to go into
2. I went into Itunes Preferences and mapped to that new folder
3. I rebooted iTunes holding down the option key and chose "Create Library"
4. I then went to each of my disparate folders with music files and literally dragged each of them into iTunes

It says "Adding Files" and has been running for about 30 minutes. In the iTunes window it says "Copying..." and has a number of files that keeps growing.

So, is this doing what I want it to do? Am I going to end up with a magical new folder of all of my music in one place, with one library with everything on it?

Thanks for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules