Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Kernel panic - Time to stop being greedy?

Kernel panic - Time to stop being greedy?
FTrain
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2009, 01:55 PM

I've got a 7 year old iMac (white dome version), that now experiences a kernel panic every 5 minutes or so. It started doing this a few weeks ago. It's no longer usable. I can't pinpoint this to any specific action on my part, but I think I may have recently installed a bunch of software updates. The internal HD also died about 9 months ago, and I've been running the machine off of an external HD ever since. Not sure if any of this is connected, or if something new happened.

Is there any use in trying to salvage this--is there any way of fixing this kind of thing without completely re-installing the OS and starting over (yet again). Or am I way past diminishing returns here and it's time to stop being greedy and buy a new machine?

With the economy in the crapper and finances a bit tight (my first kid is coming in just a few weeks), I've been trying to drag this thing out as long as I can. But I also want to be able to do video chats with grandparents, update my iPod with photos (and new music--been stuck with the same tunes for about 6 months since the machine stopped synching with my iPod), and actually be able to store the thousands of pics I'm sure we're about to take.

I'll keep it limping along if I can, but I don't know how to fix this. Would welcome any guidance. Thanks.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2009, 02:55 PM

It sounds like a hardware issue, such as bad RAM or logic board. Memory is cheap, probably around $70 for a Gig, the logic board is worth way more than your computer! Exactly what model is it, ie CPU speed, model#, screen size. Are all the events related? HD failure, no, this normal in a 7 year old machine and you have been running successfully off the external for 9 months. Software updates, what exactly did you update? Newer software may not be compatible with your iMac, BTW what OS are you running? Also SW updates are processor intensive, so maybe the RAM or LB were pushed to a failure that was waiting to happen, you know, the straw and the camel's back.

I am afraid that in general, though, your machine will not gracefully do the things you want, it is slow, and cannot handle enough RAM to run current apps and OS.

Club Mac has a great deal on a Mac mini, $499, a monitor is about $125, this will give you a new up to date computer with iLife and all the apps you need to share pix and chat. I know money is tight, so this just info if you can use it

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2009, 03:28 PM

Happened to a friends dome iMac as well.. I changed his drive (it's not too hard and will be better than the external)

Sounds like RAM, if its cheap enough dump the chip and put a new one/set in see how that does.... do you have the Apple hardware test cd? If not I can help you out with a diagnostics cd.... let em know

FTrain  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2009, 02:56 PM

Jmiddel, interesting thought about the Mini. Haven't really given that much consideration because the Mini has always struck me as being really underpowered and "cheap" but not necessarily a good deal. I need to conserve funds, but I also want to get the best value.

Zerostar, my hesitation with replacing the HD or trying to RAM is that the HD seems more complicated (thermal paste?) than my level of skill, and either the RAM or the HD feel like putting money into a car with 400,000 miles on it. It would be economical, but then there's the value of it again. I'm trying to find the diagnostic disc, and will see if I can determine if it is the RAM anyway, at least to know.

If I need to replace it, the next dilemma is whether to get a desktop or laptop. But that's a different discussion.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 03:57 PM

Do you have any extra RAM installed, or are you working with the factory installed RAM ?
Any way to switch RAM to test if that's the culprit ?

-t

FTrain  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2009, 04:36 PM

I do have extra RAM installed, but no spare RAM sitting around to swap it with. If I take out the 512MB extra, would the 256 factory be capable of running anything long enough to see if the 512 is just busted?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by FTrain View Post
I do have extra RAM installed, but no spare RAM sitting around to swap it with. If I take out the 512MB extra, would the 256 factory be capable of running anything long enough to see if the 512 is just busted?
Yes, it would make your Mac slow, but if there are no kernel panics anymore, the additional RAM is busted.

You could as a second step just put in the 512MB (take out the original RAM, if it's not soldered to the motherboard), and see if you get back the kernel panics.

-t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You could as a second step just put in the 512MB (take out the original RAM, if it's not soldered to the motherboard), and see if you get back the kernel panics.
It's not soldered, but accessing it means you need to replace thermal paste when you're done.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 05:33 PM

Ok, why does it need thermal paste ? You don't need this for additional RAM, do you ?

-t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2009, 06:09 PM

One RAM slot is "user accessible" by simply removing the bottom plate. The second is on the logic board, which requires opening the unit up and "breaking" the thermal paste on the heat sink.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
One RAM slot is "user accessible" by simply removing the bottom plate. The second is on the logic board, which requires opening the unit up and "breaking" the thermal paste on the heat sink.

Yeah, I guess not something you would do just for the fun of it.

It might, however, be worthwhile as a last resort, if all other avenues fail.

-t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2009, 06:49 PM

If someone comes to our shop looking for thermal paste, we simply hand them a tube. I don't know if all shops are so nice.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
If someone comes to our shop looking for thermal paste, we simply hand them a tube. I don't know if all shops are so nice.
You betcha'!

FTrain  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2009, 10:13 AM

I took out the RAM that I had installed, but it didn't help--got the same kernel panic. I haven't tried to take out the factory installed RAM. Not sure it's worth the hassle anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules