Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Accessories for PowerBook?

Accessories for PowerBook?
Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
May 3, 2002, 01:17 AM

I�m going to be getting one of the new �ultimate� TiBook 800MHz in the next few days. I�m curious what accessories people have found useful. This is my first laptop and will be replacing my current desktop system (B&W 450). Right now I�m looking at a few things...

2 button mouse (w/scroll wheel)
Sound Sticks and iSub
bag & protector sleeve
leather screen protector � might just make one myself
laptop pad (http://www.roadtools.com/product.html)
PowerMate (http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/pwrmate.html)

If there are other things that PowerBook users have found useful to have please let me know. Thank you!

-Todd...

msykes
Senior User
May 3, 2002, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by Todd Corzett:
<STRONG>
2 button mouse (w/scroll wheel)
Sound Sticks and iSub
bag & protector sleeve
leather screen protector � might just make one myself
laptop pad (http://www.roadtools.com/product.html)
PowerMate (http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/pwrmate.html)
</STRONG>
It's kind of funny, but that's one of the things I dislike about powerbooks. They aren't expandable, and since they are such darn complete systems these days there's really not much to buy for them! I think for me by far the most important thing is a proper bag to carry it around in, since I carry my powerbook to/from lab with me at least 5 days a week. I recommend http://www.spireusa.com/ highly. Besides that, a multi-button mouse with scroll wheel is a must for gaming.

One thing you didn't mention which might be useful is a security device. Kensington makes several security cables (go to http://www.kensington.com/ and click on "Computer Security") which you can use to lock your laptop down wherever you leave it. It's not high end security, but for 40$ it's a good way to prevent a casual thief from running away with your baby!

Todd Corzett  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2002, 02:12 AM

Already got one for my current baby. Almost forgot about using it on my PowerBook. THANX! Anthing else I'm forgetting about?

As for a case I was looking for a "messenger" style bag. So far the one that I've liked most (from pictures...) has been the "Hipster Laptop by TRAGER" (http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Cod e=TR515R&Category_Code=G4). Anyone have any opinions on this one?

-Todd...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 02:20 AM

You should consider dropping $50 on a nice optical mouse. The Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical is the most precise mouse on the market, but the Microsoft IntelliMouse 3.0 is snappier. Either mouse is excellent, but I would get the Logitech because it has a better build quality. Then again, you could go with the miniature Logitech MouseMan Traveler. It's extremely small, it comes with a nice, proetctive carrying case, and it tracks precisely (though not as well as the aforementioned, larger mice).

Todd Corzett  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2002, 02:29 AM

The Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical looks great, but it says it requires "Macintosh� with Mac OS 8.6-9.x with USB port (excluding OS X )" Will this work with OSX? Are their drivers and such? Thanx again for all the quick help!

-Todd...

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2002, 11:38 AM

logitech has beta os x drivers available now. it'll give you extra options like clicking the wheel mouse, scroll speed, etc. check versiontracker. even without the drivers, they work great (click, cntr-click and scroll) -- just plug and play in os x.

i've got a cordless optical (the symmetrically shaped one, blue/silver) logitech. awesome fit for my larger hands and smoooooth.

for travel, i use the logitech mouseman traveler. compact, thin cord, included case is a nice touch. neat "no button" design look and has wheel too!

john

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2002, 11:57 AM

If you are into any kind of video editing or sound production, then the PowerMate from Griffin Technology would be a good bet for navigating timelines. It looks really cool, too.

The Intellimouse Explorer from Microsoft is really nice too, and you can't live without a good protective case like the Titanium 1 from Brenthaven.

Hope you like your new powerbook.
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

msykes
Senior User
May 3, 2002, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>but the Microsoft IntelliMouse 3.0 is snappier. </STRONG>
:-) Hey, I thought we reserved "snappier" to describe new builds of Mac OSX?!

I use a kensington PocketMouse, which is optical and quite compact, though still comfortable for me to use with my relatively large hands. They also make a PocketMouse Pro, which has a retractable cord. I have no experience with it, but seems like a good idea for travelling.

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2002, 10:48 AM

OOoops,

I just re-read the starter post and Todd already had the Powermate on his list. Don't I ever feel like a goof now!

I'd get an external firewire hard drive that is bus powered. Nothing like having like 100 gigs on the go (between PB and FW Drive).

Good luck,

John
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2002, 02:34 PM

Something that I've found works better than a leather keyboard pad is that of the shipping packaging that comes in the new ibooks, its the thin foam-like paper and its durable as hell. I would think apple might start using this technology in the new ti's, maybe. If not im sure an apple store might have some extras laying around...

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 02:38 PM

The ultimate peripheral for your Ti Book: an iBook!

Sloth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2002, 03:02 PM

"They also make a PocketMouse Pro, which has a retractable cord. I have no experience with it, but seems like a good idea for travelling."

I have got the PocketMouse Pro and highly suggest it. The retractable cord works great.

eurozone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 04:38 AM

What about firewire to SCSI adapters? Anyone have experience with those? I just ordered my Ti/800 and realized I need a solution for a couple legacy items... Jaz, VXA tape drive....

I see a couple products on the market for about 100 USD.

Any thoughts or experience with these adapters? Thanks!

(and I am going to wait for the rumored apple bluetooth mouse... )

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 05:37 AM

Can some one lead me in the right direction? Im trying to locate the USB bluetooth adapter... Has any one used on?

Thanks...
CHRIS SMITH

cbrg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 11:11 PM

Before you buy ANY bag you need to go to http://www.bagreview.com. I think you will be surprised at just how many very cool bags there are out there.
--------------------------------------------
Chris Edwards
http://www.bagreview.com

Reviews asnd ratings of laptop bags, backpack, and messenger bags with attention to the Powerbook, Powerbook G4, iBook, iBook Dual USB

maddog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2002, 04:06 PM

Thanks, I've been cruising the Bag Review site for an hour now, still can't decide on a bag though!

Can people post here what they've got their Ti Books in? I'd love to hear some real feedback from a few people.

Kind of leaning towards a Mogwai computer commuter bag & sleeve from Timbuk2...

Forum Links
Forum Rules