Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My new Powerbook G4 800

My new Powerbook G4 800
msykes
Senior User
May 9, 2002, 04:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

Well my new G4 800 finally arrived this Monday... and I've barely had any time at all to play with it but I have managed to scrounge together a few pictures and some first impressions on a webpage. I'll be adding more to it, so I figured it was best just to make a page, instead of a really lenghty forum post. I'll be posting more detailed information over the next few days, including benchmarks and airport reception comparison, and if there is anything anyone wants checked out please post to this thread to let me know. I'll try to do things within reason (and by the way no OS9 stuff, I'm an OS9 free computer)
http://www.msykes.com/geek/newti/

Thanks for any input!

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2002, 05:11 PM

msykes,

Thank you very much for the review, and the review(s) to come!!
Might I ask what computer is sitting to the right behind your new powerbook in the picture on the main page?

Just curious .

I can remember what it was like when I first got my Powerbook. It's my first ever mac, and certainly not my last. I still find myself sitting and admiring its cool titanium exterior.

Have fun with what is the wickedest laptop on the planet!!!

-John
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2002, 05:17 PM

Oh yeah I almost forgot...

Can you post a pic of where the audio input is? Also... some battery tests would be cool too.

Much appreciated!

-John

msykes  (op)
Senior User
May 9, 2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by engage1000:
<STRONG>Oh yeah I almost forgot...

Can you post a pic of where the audio input is? Also... some battery tests would be cool too.

Much appreciated!

-John</STRONG>
I'll definitely try to get some new pics in... I think that the audio input is on the right side of the back of the book, when you are looking at the back.

I don't think I got much more than 3 hours battery life last night, but wasn't watching too carefully.

The other computer is my old Lombard 333MHz, it's got a red KeyBorg courtesy of http://www.digitalhipps.com/

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
May 9, 2002, 06:43 PM

msykes - Do you know if there is a set of color keys for the TiBooks? I have sent email to the keyBORG guys, but have had no luch. I just got my Ti800 today! WOO!

-Todd...

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2002, 06:58 PM

Hey msykes you're an amiga fan??? That's what the kickstart at the backs says....
Now you have a fan!!!!!

maddog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2002, 11:19 PM

Dude, that is one small dock you have there...

And the icons on your display? what the hell are you trying to do man?!

Seriously, congrats on the laptop. That is NICE.

BTW, what are you using for a sleeve/bag?

msykes  (op)
Senior User
May 10, 2002, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by maddog:
<STRONG>Dude, that is one small dock you have there...

And the icons on your display? what the hell are you trying to do man?!

Seriously, congrats on the laptop. That is NICE.

BTW, what are you using for a sleeve/bag?</STRONG>
Well I use a Zoom backpack from SpireUSA http://www.spireusa.com/ for my old Lombard. It's really an awesome pack, I'd recommend that company to anyone. They have a Titanium specific bag (Icon), and I'm not sure if I should get that, or just get a new inner sleeve to hold my new TiBook. They are backpacks, which for me is perfect, and help to make it not look like a computer bag.

As for the KeyBorg, I know it's under considerations. There was a thread here some time back where someone was trying to gauge interest for them for Titaniums. Personally I think it's only a matter of time, I'm sure there would be plenty of buyers.

What's wrong with the icons?! lol, I probably won't leave them that big for long... my computer is named "Aku", after the villain from Samurai Jack ( http://www.samuraijack.com/ ), which is what that icon is.

Go here: http://yourmac.dockingbay-94.com/ to get the icons.

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: msykes ]

msykes  (op)
Senior User
May 10, 2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by phobos:
<STRONG>Hey msykes you're an amiga fan??? That's what the kickstart at the backs says....
Now you have a fan!!!!!</STRONG>
Amiga fan? Where did you get that? Now I'm confused...

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2002, 07:06 AM

msykes,

Thanks for the link to the Spire USA bags. I looked through their site, and they do have really nice stuff. The bag I use is the Titanium 1 from Brenthaven. I bought it from Apple online, and it's a wicked bag!!!

I like it a lot because it has the best safety rating (or so I read) in drop tests. I've had the bag fall over (with the Ti in it) many times onto the floor from various heights. Not a scratch or a ding.

Is your TiBook any less flexible than the originals? I know I can take mine and twist it when it's open, somewhat like a candy wrapper. It doesn't bother me much, but I'm just curious anyway.

Thanks!!

-John

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2002, 07:44 AM

On the 12th picture you have 2 monitors on the background.I can see the Amiga kistart clearly on the screen......

Also give us some benchmarks and more thought about your new purchase.It'll keep me involved until I get the new powerbook also

msykes  (op)
Senior User
May 10, 2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by phobos:
<STRONG>On the 12th picture you have 2 monitors on the background.I can see the Amiga kistart clearly on the screen......

Also give us some benchmarks and more thought about your new purchase.It'll keep me involved until I get the new powerbook also </STRONG>
Ah! That's actually a Linux Box, it's running RedHat 7.2, and that's just one of the many funky screen savers that come with the machine... I work in a computational structural biology lab, so we are pretty well all Linux on the work end of things, and people use whatever they choose for laptops.

I've got some benchmarks that I will be posting later today... I have Test Bench X, Altivec Fractal, there's Openssl -speed, the Apple Disk Basher etc...

msykes  (op)
Senior User
May 10, 2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by engage1000:
<STRONG>
Is your TiBook any less flexible than the originals? I know I can take mine and twist it when it's open, somewhat like a candy wrapper. It doesn't bother me much, but I'm just curious anyway.
</STRONG>
Yikes, I don't think I'm going to test this out too much! It feels quite rigid, but I really haven't pushed it to any limits, I'm doing my best to pick it up with two hands, or with only one hand from the center.

By the way, I have posted a few benchmarks comparing the Lombard, TiBook800 and an iMac800. More machines and benchmarks to follow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules