Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther not remembering SMB passwords?

Panther not remembering SMB passwords?
JBoss303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 08:23 AM

Hello there,

this might be a newbie question but does anyone else need to type their password every time they connect to SMB shares? I have checked the "Add to keychain" checkbox every time but that doesn't help.

If I look at the keychain access I can see the item and it looks ok. I guess it is just not used.

The server I'm connecting to is a Windows 2003 server.

Any help?

Jari

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2003, 08:30 AM

I would think this is a GOOD thing for security reasons....right?!?

BlueCat
Dec 1, 2003, 08:39 AM

I have the same issue and I'm connecting to a Linux machine serving a Windows domain. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out why
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 09:18 AM

I can mount an smb share and the password is being remembered in the keychain. I am, however running 7D15 and don't know if it was recently corrected.

-Q-
Dec 1, 2003, 10:47 AM

Same thing happens to me. Oddly enough, my TiBook will remember the password for one share but not the other. I have no idea why. Hopefully it is fixed in the 10.3.2 update.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 11:06 AM

Mine is remembering passwords for all 3 SMB shares I have, 2 on Windows 2000, and one on a RedHat 8 Linux box.
One bug I did find is that even after turning off Windows sharing in 10.3.2, it still is sharing my drive. I had to logoff before it stopped.
( Last edited by SMacTech; Dec 1, 2003 at 12:09 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2003, 11:07 AM

Is this affecting only Windows 2003 Server?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2003, 12:07 PM

I know that Windows 2003 servers have a ' Digitally Signed communications ' setting that is on by default. Possibly this is causing him the problems.
I don't have access to a Win2k3 server to test Panther with.

JBoss303  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I know that Windows 2003 servers have a ' Digitally Signed communications ' setting that is on by default. Possibly this is causing him the problems.
I don't have access to a Win2k3 server to test Panther with.
If digital signing is on, you cannot access the shares at all. I already disabled it from the W2K3 server and the only problem left is the Keychain access.

I can access W2K shares with the Keychain password but in those systems my user name (first name) is the same as in my Macintosh. In W2K3 server I have a different username (last name), might this be the issue?

Jari

JBoss303  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by JBoss303:

I can access W2K shares with the Keychain password but in those systems my user name (first name) is the same as in my Macintosh. In W2K3 server I have a different username (last name), might this be the issue?

Jari
Hello again,

I tested this again by creating a new account to the Windows 2003 server with the same username that I use on my Mac and now the keychain passwords work fine.

So in my opinion there is a bug in 10.3.1 regarding the username of Windows shares and keychain passwords.

-Q-
Dec 12, 2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by JBoss303:
Not in my experience. On a Win2K network, I can log into one network share just fine (and my username for my Mac and my network are different) but on another share, on the same network and subnet, it consistenty forgets the username/password.

I'm not sure where the problem lies but it does seem to be a bug in the OS X keychain with more than Win2K3 networks.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2003, 03:15 PM

None of my passwords/userids are remembered.

I am connected to Win2000 in one network, and to Redhat 9 in another.

My Powerbook does travel between those two networks, so maybe that is the cause?

It's most annoying to check the "Add to keychain" box, and see it never ever remember them.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2003, 06:43 PM

I'm running 10.3.1 here, and it won't remember my passwords when connecting to Windows 98 or XP machines. Didn't work with Jaguar either.

BlueCat
Dec 13, 2003, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Is this affecting only Windows 2003 Server?
I connect my PB to a Red Hat 9 Linux server and it never remembers my details even though I can see it in Keychains!
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

fraeone
Dec 13, 2003, 03:15 PM

I had the same problems. I then switched my XP box from the MSHOME workgroup to WORKGROUP which is what Panther defaults to. It seems to remember my passwords now.

fraeone

Gig103
Jul 2, 2004, 04:47 PM

I'm having this problem too, maybe someone came up with a solution that wasn't available back in December?

I'm running the latest Panther release. I am using the IP address to connect to the windows machine, not computer name. I always check the "add to keychain" button but it still asks me every time. My Windows username is "Michael" and the pb is "Mike" but that shouldn't be a problem should it? If so, has anyone figured it out with the differing names?
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 05:54 PM

I've found that OS X wouldn't save SMB passwords unless you have your domain set in the directory access program. However when connecting to servers with a different domain or workgroup it won't remember the username/password/domain.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
I've found that OS X wouldn't save SMB passwords unless you have your domain set in the directory access program. However when connecting to servers with a different domain or workgroup it won't remember the username/password/domain.
That appears to the the problem I'm having. I work for a company that got acquired about a year ago. Before the acquisition the share was in Domain A, and I logged into the network with a Domain A/User ID/Password. Keychain would remember the login credentials just fine. After the acquistion the share remained in Domain A, but I now login to the network using a Domain B/User ID/Password combination. Ever since Keychain has never remembered the login credentials. In fact, it always defaults the domain to Domain A. Kind of pain in the ass but not a showstopper.

OAW

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 06:34 PM

What I do, when I'm connecting to a share in a different domain, is save the following shortcut in "connect to server" :

smb://domain;username: password@server/share

it works great, but not so secure.

McMark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 05:24 AM

Well, I have found the Safari link to Keychain to be reliably unreliable. The one reliable browser that at least keeps your account numbers (after you enter a master password to protect secure site info) and passwords in less secure (like no bank) sites is Mozilla 1.7a. Recomend it.
'If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off'
intel imac 2ghz core 2 duo 1g ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules