Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I had my display replaced and now my whole powerbook wobbles!

I had my display replaced and now my whole powerbook wobbles!
uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 09:05 AM

How is that possible? I know for a fact that my 12" Rev B always sat flat before; I was very anal about checking. After bringing it home from getting a new display yesterday, it now has a slight wobble between the front right and the back left corners. What would cause such a thing and how could it have happened where no wobble existed before? Is it something my local retailer can fix? I so don't have time for all of these repairs.

a very frustrated switcher...

Pringlis
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 10:15 AM

Sadly this is a fairly common problem with Al Powerbooks.. when the case gets really hot it can 'warp' the Aluminium slightly which makes the base uneven. The same thing happend with my PowerBook after it went away for repair.

The solution is fairly simple..

Run a lot of processer intensives app on your computer for a while (a game or something)... when the Powerbook is fairly hot place it on top of a small raised object (a post it pad or something) and push GENTLY down on the corners where it's wobbling. For example if the right foot is raised and causing the wobble push down on the back left and forward right.

This should slightly bend your Powerbook (NOT visually but enough) so that it stops wobbling.

Worked for me anyway.

Hope it helps.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 11:12 AM

Exactly,
Just use it as normal on a FLAT surface and it will warp back in place. You can literally push it back when its warm.

Also when you push it I would do it while the laptop is open and only push around the keyboard area, you dont want to promote the whitespots, like I am sure the people who have had 3 replacement screens do.

Good luck and take care.
Force

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 11:34 AM

Yikes, sounds scary! Interestingly enough, when the display is open I find that it sits back on the rear left, but when it is closed it sits on the front right. Is it possible that the hinge is actually causing the case to flex at certain screen positions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules