Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ok now I'm a bit upset

Ok now I'm a bit upset
MacsGalor
Senior User
Feb 22, 2004, 02:01 AM

I know that the battery issue has been beat to death but damn. I just bought a iBook for my sister (I know I'm must be insane, I don't have much money) but I wanted to calibrate the battery so I popped in a DVD. If I do this on my Powerbook I will either run out of juice before the movie is up, just make it, or have a couple minutes left. Well on the iBook I watched the movie and afterwards I still had 1.5 hours left on the battery. This is good for iBook users and I am happy for them but I paid double for my powerbook and the battery is not even close. AHHHHH

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 22, 2004, 04:26 AM

That's the unfortunate tradeoff for significantly less weight, a larger/brighter screen, more RAM and a faster CPU.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2004, 04:28 AM

PB's have short battery life because they are POWERbooks as in they are powerful and consume more power then iBooks. If you could afford to give up some "POWER" then by all means maybe the iBooks are the right 'books for you. I dont mind losing a little bit of batt life for my PB at all, although it would be nicer if it was a little longer. Oh Well.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2004, 08:36 AM

I love my Powerbook, but I do see the point:

It's kind of odd to be paying a PREMIUM for a TRADE-OFF.

But then, the Powerbooks have other features that may justify the premium (did to me).

-s*

workerbee
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2004, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
That's the unfortunate tradeoff for significantly less weight, a larger/brighter screen, more RAM and a faster CPU.
It's mainly the unfortunate tradeoff for Apple's decision to go with significantly less powerful batteries in the 1.25 GHz 15" PB -- motivated more by thoughts of maximising gross margin than minimizing weight, IMHO.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2004, 12:06 PM

I have to agree that it was a bad move by apple to go with a smaller battery in the new machines than the old ones. I think it had to do with weight though..the new books are already bigger and heavier which is not the way to be going.

I still get a good 2.45 hours though and feel happy with that.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 22, 2004, 12:28 PM

Compared to my new PowerBook (15" 1.25 Ghz) my old 12" G3 iBook runs circles (or at least many minutes) around it.

That is why I'm happy I still kept it. For 'true portability' and opposed to 'pure power' I don't think any other Mac laptop has beat it.

I've read the press releases and all, but just imagine what the power consumption would be like on a G5 PowerBook.

:shudder:

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2004, 06:46 PM

I know it would have increased weight, but surely they could have put bigger batteries in the 15" and especially the 17"? Surely the 17" with double the battery life would have sold even more? Maybe I'm talking nonsense!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

MacsGalor  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2004, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by WOPR:
I know it would have increased weight, but surely they could have put bigger batteries in the 15" and especially the 17"? Surely the 17" with double the battery life would have sold even more? Maybe I'm talking nonsense!
I agree I would rather have my Powerbook be a little heavier to gain that extra battery life.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2004, 10:40 PM

Ya allot of you are right.

The problem is with the battery.
It does not even have the capacity they promise (4.6 kw/hour)

So Apple is defiantly skimping.

They could easily put a bigger one in there.

I will just get someone to repack it with higher Mah
Force

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 12:23 AM

iB's battery life is awesome...!!!

sux to be a PB owner...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules