Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PowerPoint 2004 - slow ??

PowerPoint 2004 - slow ??
GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 05:29 PM

Is anyone else experiencing very slow performance with PowerPoint 2004 and OS X 10.4.8? Opening large presentations (~80 MB) with lots of embedded graphics and/or QuickTime movies takes forever compared to opening the same presentation under OS X 10.3.x and Office X.

gfitzy

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 08:04 PM

An 80 Mb presentation is huge! I am not suprised that it is a bit slower than with X in Panther.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 08:31 PM

Is Rosetta in the equation somewhere?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2007, 10:57 PM

Yep- Office 2004 is not a Universal app. But it's not that-it's all the embedded stuff in that ginormous presentation! Holy chrome! That would slow down a Cray!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

GFitzy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2007, 01:22 PM

Yeah, I know the presentation is big but it is typical among the users I support. They don't understand anything about the size of the pasted graphics and because it has worked in the past they blindly plow ahead.

I will get a copy and edit it for the user to demonstrate the phenom yet again.

:-)

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 15, 2007, 06:50 PM

Any graphics, ANY ANIMATIONS, and ANY sounds will slow down PowerPoint, no matter what platform you're running it on. Worse, too many bells and whistles confuse PowerPoint and make the presentation either stop or not work as expected. Maybe "you'll embarrass yourself AND the department when this finally does happen to you" can help convince your users that "simple is better." It's obvious that "getting to the point" is beyond them, or they wouldn't have 80MB presentations to begin with.

Yeah, I'm grumpy about it, but PP is so easy to use for "good" presentations that it's easy to abuse for "not-good" presentations. Most people should be forbidden from creating their own presentations from scratch because they can't see the "forest" of an overall impression for the "trees" of their pretty, shiny, annoying embellishments. Instead of coming up with something that looks professional and gets the point across, they come up with something no self respecting third grader would submit for grading. But it's "professional" because they used a computer to make it... Sigh.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules