Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Small 'stress' cracks in iBook case

Small 'stress' cracks in iBook case
AIOg3guy
Jan 11, 2002, 06:01 PM

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with small 'stress' cracks in the iBook case. I have a small (about 1/4") crack running from the outer edge of the silver frame around my LCD screen. You can also feel a bit of a bump like the plastic is 'flexed' out in that spot. Its very near the silver hex screw in the side of the top, but slightly lower.

I don't remember seeing it before, but its there now. I can live with it as-is however, I was just wondering if anyone has tried to get Apple to fix cracks like this before? (This is definately not a molding line, its a crack.) I'm not sure I'm willing to part with my iBook for very long for such a simple thing.

Oh well.. at least its under Applecare.

Thanks,
-AIOg3guy

Leaping Gnome
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2002, 09:44 PM

Mine does not have any cracks and the case is very sturdy. If you send it in you will most likely be without it for a good two weeks, it's up to you how important it is.

climber
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2002, 02:58 AM

I sent my ibook in for repair two days prior to 9/11.. I still got it back in about a week.
climber

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2002, 03:33 AM

Apple doesn't fix anything cosmetic. It has to affect the operation of the machine to warrant a repair.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>Apple doesn't fix anything cosmetic. It has to affect the operation of the machine to warrant a repair.</STRONG>
If it is a defect in the workmanship that would be covered, if I'm not mistaken.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2002, 04:36 AM

It has to be a major defect in manufacturing for them to even look into fixing it.

Leaping Gnome
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2002, 07:25 PM

It never hurts to at least call, what do you have to lose besides a little of your time?

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2002, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by climber:
<STRONG>I sent my ibook in for repair two days prior to 9/11.. I still got it back in about a week.</STRONG>
Exactly same experience ... gave mine to Apple Northshore, MA Saturday before WTC, got it back next Monday after WTC.

I'd sure give it a try ... given the stiffness of the hinge, etc.

Bill
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules