Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Performa 6200 System CD

Performa 6200 System CD
mattsliva
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2000, 07:38 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a System CD for a Performa 6200CD? I'm not all that interested in buying a $20 one from Apple. But, I am still interested in one. I own a Performa 6200 and need a system CD so I can erase my hard drive. Please help...

------------------
-matt

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2000, 01:24 AM

I looked through my collection and the best I have is a 6300 startup CD.

An alternative might be to try to find a deal on an OS8, OS8.5 or OS9 CD. This will probably cost more than $20 but you also get a more modern OS for your computer. I might warn that OS9 takes more RAM to run effectively.

------------------
Tadd Torborg

mattsliva  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2000, 10:04 AM

Well, I wanted to erase everything and just put my computer back on v7.5.5 and it's orginal software. I do own OS8 and didn't want to put it bock on. My computer is all messed up right now.

thanks any ways,

------------------
-matt

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2000, 10:11 AM

curious, why do you not want OS 8 on your Mac? OS 7.5.5 is not a very good MacOS... have you tried 7.6.1?

mattsliva  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2000, 11:05 AM

Short and simple, not enough ram. I'd rather just run the original software. No, I've never tried 7.6.

------------------
-matt

CyberKid
Feb 5, 2000, 02:07 PM

You might want to try www.sunrem.com last time I checked they were authorized to reproduce old operating systems from apple.

-CK

Seagull
Feb 6, 2000, 09:03 AM

I am sort of wonder how many MB of RAM does your computer has that is not enough to run Mac OS 8. According to the information at http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ma_6200cd.html your Mac model came with 8MB. If your Mac still has 8MB then it may not be enough to run Mac OS 8, but if it has 16MB of RAM or more I would recommend that you should run at least Mac OS 8.1 because you will find that many software requires at least Mac OS 8.

With 16MB of RAM, if you do not turn on virtual memory, you will be short of memory and if you turn on virtual memory, your Mac may be a bit slow. I found that RAM Doubler is much better than virtual memory built into the Memory control panel and it is the next best thing to real memory. RAM Doubler can triple your memory and you may consider buying it to use on your Mac. The address for more information on RAM Doubler version 9 is http://www.connectix.com/products/rd9.html

mattsliva  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2000, 07:28 PM

I have 16 megs of RAM. I tried OS 8 and it slowed my computer down. I don't want to turn virtual memory on because then it really runs slow and laggy. I wanted the original system cd so I can re-install my old system and programs. A lot of stuff have been deleted since I last installed a fresh copy of system 7.5.5. Well, I'm still searching and I called someone about it and the CD was $70. I'm definetly not paying that much for a system cd. I'm sorry for sounding cheap, but the cash just isn't there.
Thanks for your guy's help,

------------------
-matt

antonio
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2000, 08:52 PM

if you're patient, you can try looking on ebay, the prices are at times totally random, but you might be able to get a deal

good luck

------------------
antonio
www.creolemetropolis.org

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2000, 04:21 AM

Id say your best bet is to just download 7.5.3 from apple. Its quite a large download, but it's free. If you wish, we can talk, and i could burn you a cd and mail it to you.

Mike

------------------
-See Yea!

Forum Links
Forum Rules