Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wall-E

Wall-E (Page 3)
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 26, 2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Unless it's against the law to smoke at the bus stop, the man was doing nothing wrong. Inadvisable, perhaps, but wrong? no.

Salty took the man's cigarette and stomped it out. Unless Salty told the story wrong, Salty aggravated the situation by making it physical.
Is it illegal to take a cigarette out of a person's mouth? You haven't touched the person. I don't think there's a law against it...inadvisable, perhaps, but wrong? no.

In many provinces of Canada, it's very much illegal to smoke in a bus shelter.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 08:21 PM

We've had an influx of particularly poorly chosen moderators lately.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 26, 2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
We've had an influx of particularly poorly chosen moderators lately.
I hope he doesn't moderate us like he moderates his children.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Oh snap!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2008, 08:44 PM

Unless it's against the law to smoke at the bus stop, the man was doing nothing wrong. Inadvisable, perhaps, but wrong? no.

Salty took the man's cigarette and stomped it out. Unless Salty told the story wrong, Salty aggravated the situation by making it physical.
And you know this from Salty's cryptic story retelling how?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
I know you were joking, but:

On the other hand... is that a countdown till reinstatement of account? That's pretty cool.

Cold Warrior
Jun 26, 2008, 09:50 PM

vmarks didn't do it. Peeb got temp banned for his infractions adding up.

And yes, for temp bans, it counts down until the ban is auto-lifted. Format is dd:hh.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 09:52 PM

This begs the question:

Are moderators immune to infractions?

Cold Warrior
Jun 26, 2008, 09:58 PM

vB doesn't show an option for one mod to infraction another. I think it used to before the most recent upgrade. However, it wouldn't stop an admin from doing it, but if there are mod issues, infractions aren't the way it's handled.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 10:01 PM

Thank you for clearing that up. I suspect a "handling" is what's needed over the mess this thread became.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
vmarks didn't do it. Peeb got temp banned for his infractions adding up.

And yes, for temp bans, it counts down until the ban is auto-lifted. Format is dd:hh.
That is hysterical, and VERY cool.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 10:56 PM

For those of us stupid enough to head into the PL regularly, we've known about the ban LED for awhile. This is third instance I've seen, the previous two being peeb and peeb.
lulz

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2008, 11:11 PM

I don't think there's any problem with voicing a concern about a flawed message in a movie intended for small children. -- particularly in the thread about that movie.

I'll admit the smoking stuff got off topic, but the original point was valid - children repeat propaganda when parents don't act as a filter for it.

For those of you suggesting that you'll expose your children to multiple viewpoints and let them decide, I suppose that's one way of parenting, but not my way without some moderation.

As a parent, it's my duty to make decisions about what viewpoints or positions are age appropriate to be discussed. You can't responsibly tell a child under the age of ten about a nebulous topic like economic systems, consumerism, and the interrelationship with ecology and ask the child to choose a position, for example. Laying anti-consumerism and eco-warrior propaganda on a young child seems irresponsible. Instead, it might be perfectly reasonable to talk about where trash goes when the garbage collector takes it, or where water goes when it goes down the drain -- here's the key -- depending on the age of the child.

Even those discussions are meant for children older than children in the target audience of WALL-E.

I hope WALL-E is good. I hope this message doesn't spoil the movie.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 02:20 AM

I just got back from the midnight WALL•E and I loved it.

My favorite Pixar movies are The Incredibles, Toy Story, Monsters Inc., and then the rest of their movie in no particular order. As of tonight Wall•E is in the top 3, if not my favorite Pixar movie.
I definitely want to watch it again at the cinema and will be buying it on Blu-Ray the day it comes out.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 06:46 AM

Just came back from Wall-E - like all Pixar films, it is extremely well-executed, high quality, original and endearing. Here's a spoiler-synopsis:

A very well done and very original film. Contains a lot of Apple fan-service. However, it's not in my top 3 Pixar films. The major criticism I have is that I feel Wall-E is a bit limited in scope and perhaps less well developed than other Pixar films. Part of that feeling is probably due to the fact that the two main characters share fewer than 5 words between them. Even though the plot covers the entire earth as well as outer space, I think other Pixar films are far richer and deeper. Tentative rating: 7.5/10.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 27, 2008 at 07:00 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 08:18 AM

Thanks for that synopsis, BigMac.

In your opinion, are the best parts of the movie shown in the trailer?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 08:20 AM

A minor spoiler, but something I really enjoyed.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 08:59 AM

Even those discussions are meant for children older than children in the target audience of WALL-E.
Have you ever watched a Disney/Pixar/Whatever movie? There are always two stories going - one for the kids and one for the adults. The answer to "why do the people live in that spaceship?" is simply "because the Earth got really dirty" if your kid is too young to understand. If you read any of the interviews with the makers of the movie, it really wasn't intended to have a political message - they had an idea and that was a scenario that made it work.

You haven't mentioned the age of your children, but my five year old understands the concepts of moderation, conservation of the Earth, and responsibility for your own actions. Kids aren't as dumb as you seem to assume they are.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 09:33 AM

Laying anti-consumerism and eco-warrior propaganda on a young child seems irresponsible. Instead, it might be perfectly reasonable to talk about where trash goes when the garbage collector takes it, or where water goes when it goes down the drain -- here's the key -- depending on the age of the child.

Oh please. Your language might be appropriate for the poli lounge, and quite frankly this form of expression is a prime reason why I don't read it anymore, but there is no reason to use it here.

You are presenting your opinion as an absolute truth here. I can't see any eco-warrior propaganda anywhere. I can however see a shitload of consumerist propaganda, it's surrounding me, you and everybody else living in our culture every single day. Maybe it would be a good idea to figure out to protect your kids from the relentless onslaught of commercial messages before you start worrying about a harmless little movie. Looks to me that you've got your priorities all mixed up.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 11:26 AM

This is retarded. Movies i general are becoming more and more flimsy homogenous vehicles of consumerism (rather than story driven entertainment). If one movie suggests a position you don't like or want your children to see, use your right as a parent and consumer to prohibit them form seeing it (if you can).

I don't want safe movies. I want my children to be challenged, to think. The role of the parent is to aid that development not protect the child from all the perceived evils. IMO that's a recipe for whiny brats who eventually rebel anyway.

Children are NOT stupid.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Children are NOT stupid.
But this thread proves that their parents are.

I mean who in the hell would be offended that their kids might walk out of a movie being a bit more enviromentally conscious, god forbid.

Better take them to Rambo instead and show em some good old fashoned entertainment that is message free.

Then vote for bush.

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Have you ever watched a Disney/Pixar/Whatever movie? There are always two stories going - one for the kids and one for the adults. The answer to "why do the people live in that spaceship?" is simply "because the Earth got really dirty" if your kid is too young to understand. If you read any of the interviews with the makers of the movie, it really wasn't intended to have a political message - they had an idea and that was a scenario that made it work.

You haven't mentioned the age of your children, but my five year old understands the concepts of moderation, conservation of the Earth, and responsibility for your own actions. Kids aren't as dumb as you seem to assume they are.
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Oh please. Your language might be appropriate for the poli lounge, and quite frankly this form of expression is a prime reason why I don't read it anymore, but there is no reason to use it here.

You are presenting your opinion as an absolute truth here. I can't see any eco-warrior propaganda anywhere. I can however see a shitload of consumerist propaganda, it's surrounding me, you and everybody else living in our culture every single day. Maybe it would be a good idea to figure out to protect your kids from the relentless onslaught of commercial messages before you start worrying about a harmless little movie. Looks to me that you've got your priorities all mixed up.
Everyone, let go of this debate in this thread. Start one in the right forum if you want to continue it. Let's keep this thread for movie commentary.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 12:44 PM

I'm going tonight. Anyone know if there is any bonus material after the credits to stick around for?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 12:47 PM

Everyone, let go of this debate in this thread. Start one in the right forum if you want to continue it. Let's keep this thread for movie commentary.
Now a mod chimes in? Are we serious?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I'm going tonight. Anyone know if there is any bonus material after the credits to stick around for?
I don't believe so, but the end-credit sequences themselves are supposed to be quite good.
an end-credit sequence that restages the whole history of Western art, cave paintings through Impressionism (and infinity?) and beyond — in animated form.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post

I guess you missed where I talked about how much my children like Toy Story 1 and 2, but dislike Cars and the Incredibles.

What was your child like at 3? at 4? What would your child's understanding have been at that time? Additionally, how do you gauge your child's understanding? Is your child listening and parroting back what you wish to hear? Don't presume to tell me I believe children are dumb. I do not.

I'm glad that the movie seems to not focus on the parts I've raised concern about.

Could someone please tell me if the best parts are shown in the trailer or not?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 01:23 PM

vmarks: if you are worried about your kids parroting back things they hear, do you prevent them from playing with other kids? Do you vet all adults that ever have a conversation with them? If not, do you teach them that liberal viewpoints are evil and/or wrong? If I were to ask them political questions, would they have intelligent answers to them?

I also notice Cold Warrior requested that we leave this debate for another thread, I'm assuming you're vetoing this request? (It doesn't bother me, I'm enjoying trying to figure out where you're coming from, to be honest)...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 01:23 PM

Stuff
Ahem:

Cold Warrior
Jun 27, 2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Now a mod chimes in? Are we serious?
I was hoping it'd get back on track without intervention. Guess not.

Feel free to start a fresh thread. I think Kevin's post a year ago was a bad omen.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Jun 27, 2008 at 02:15 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules