Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook 5,2 Ram/HD Max

macbook 5,2 Ram/HD Max
aeuja64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2015, 06:59 PM

I have a 2009 Macbook 2.13. I have been told i can put 6GB of ram and even up to 8gb. Is this true. Also, which is better for my machine OWC Ram or Crucial? I aslo would like to put a SSD HD in (460GB) . Is the OWC really better ? One more thing, im running OS X 10.6.8 and would like to know wHich would run it better?

aLLEN

P
Jul 27, 2015, 10:23 AM

That model is max 6GB, from what I can tell. Apple only guarantees 4GB, but there are enough confronted reports that 6GB works. There is no specific "Mac" RAM, so if Crucial is cheaper, use that.

An SSD will certainly help, it is a great upgrade.

10.6.8 is a bit old now and no longer being updated. I would go to 10.9 Mavericks. Yosemite has had a rather varied response, but Mavericks was great.

honestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2015, 01:50 PM

I have seen "complaints" about Yosemite decrease over time, and the newest version, 10.10.4, seems to be working fine for most folks. I actually have never had issues with any version of Yosemite, but for some other folks, based on processing needs, I can understand how issues have arisen.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2015, 06:51 PM

The early and mid 2009 MacBooks accept up to 6GB RAM. The late 2009 MacBook accepts up to 8GB RAM.

OWC makes great SSDs. But they are expensive, and spending the extra money for one of their SSDs is not worth it for a 2009 MacBook which is incapable of realizing the difference. Any SATA 3 SSD that is currently being made will be as good as any other. I recommend buying the least expensive one in the size range that interests you.

The latest version of OS X should be fine for your MacBook.
( Last edited by DCJ001; Jul 31, 2015 at 08:59 PM. )

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2015, 09:16 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules