Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > need help guys

need help guys
wasd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 02:16 PM

Wow one thing i have to say that thing is freakin FAST. I have been using windows ever since i was a kid and up until now i have decided to switch to the mac world. I havent regret it and its awesome thats all i can say. Anyways, i seem to have problem with vlc media player and quicktime. There are some files like animes and music video cant be played with these two programs. XVID files works fine but files like dvd doesnt not work(avi). For example, fullmetal alchemist_01[v2].DVD(ACC)[KAA][BB60F687].avi doesnt work on quicktime and vlc. On vlc the audio works but the video does not appear. This messages appears main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format. Please, can anyone please help. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ken

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 02:30 PM

2 thoughts:

1) you might try the Audio/Video forum. This whole site is Mac-- look for the forum most specific to the issue you're having.

2) Have you tried flip4mac? (The windows media plugin for quicktime). Don't know if that will help or not-- I've yet to play with different file formats on Mac outside of what VLC handles as I'm still waiting for my MBP.

cambro
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 02:30 PM

There are some codecs that simply can't be played in OS X. I'm not sure why anybody would ever choose to encode a video in something that is platform specific, but they do, probably out of ignorance. Google the codec name and you'll find a bunch of info on this.

You should of course get Windows Media Player if you don't have it already. Or Flip4Mac, if you prefer. There are also third-party quicktime extensions you can install (e.g., DivX) that will allow you to play some files too.

Good luck.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 03:30 PM

WMV3 stands for "Windows Media Video version 3", I believe. You'll have to download something that will allow you to decode the windows media format (like that flip4mac thing, perhaps?)

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 03:50 PM

you might want to try VLC, take a look at their site. I used it for a bunch of files that Quicktime and Windows media cant play.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006, 05:38 PM

I believe the OP already tried vlc.

Flip4Mac will play them in Quicktime but you will have to wait until they update their free codecs to Universal.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Links
Forum Rules