Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Problem with Sharepoints

Problem with Sharepoints
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 01:17 PM

I am having a problem getting the Windows computers here (which just happens to be all other computers) to be able to access my share. They can see the computer and the share inside but once clicked it says they dont have access or permission and then the message network path not found.

I can see the specific share that I have created on each of the machines but alas it wont work.

I have checked to give access to guest users and also tried letting everyone have r/w access, still nothing.. Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks.

philm
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 02:02 PM

Did you 'restart the SMB share' or whatever that button is in Sharepoints. My experience is that sometimes you need to quit, then restart Sharepoints, click the button a couple of times, maybe even log out and in again. In other words, you might need to do a bit of fiddling about to get the share to 'stick'. Great program though.

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 03:36 PM

This version supposedly restarts it for you as long as it is activated in sharing preferences. I don't have a restart smb button. On the same note, I have restarted the machine, turned smb on and off, recreated the share and then did it all again.. no luck so far Thanks for the hints.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2006, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by SpinCycle
This version supposedly restarts it for you as long as it is activated in sharing preferences. I don't have a restart smb button. On the same note, I have restarted the machine, turned smb on and off, recreated the share and then did it all again.. no luck so far Thanks for the hints.
Turn off the firewall on the Windows PC

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 09:37 AM

Hmm.. I am not sure if the others want into my share enough to do that. Anyway I think I am giving up on this program since it did something pretty strange to my computer. The only thing I downloaded which was straight from the source, was sharepoints did a few adds and deletes of shares and then at one point administrator got removed from my account (the only account beside root) on the machine, and the password for the account and root did not work anymore. I had to change the password back and add admin to the account with the installation CD. Strange. ( I am assuming that Sharepoints did this unless there is a better explanation.) My book is behind a NAT router and does not have any port forwards, and the firewall was on on the book with only Personal and Microsoft files shareing turned on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules