Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro right fan noise

Macbook Pro right fan noise
marsbt
Jun 26, 2008, 10:22 PM

Hi, I have noticed that my MBP a constant clicking sound was coming from the top right side of the keyboard. I checked with a DVD to see if it was the optical drive and it didn't make a difference. Then I checked with the fan control application and indeed the frequency of the noise increased if I used the higher RPM of the fan.

Does anyone has any experience in solving the problem? What can one do at home to solve this? or is taking the MBP to an auth service center the best advice.

NB: the MBP is out of warranty.
Firefox: Add Of The Week

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 26, 2008, 11:18 PM

download SMC fan control for the intel and just manually change the speed.

this post should have been posted under Mac Notebooks
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 01:38 AM

Looks like your fan is toast. That has happened on a few MBPs including one of my own.

Run Apple Hardware Test (on the install DVD) and get the error codes. Give these to your AASP or Apple store. Base on that information they will order either a new fan assembly (cheap) and/or an entire new MLB (expensive) and put it in there for you. A good AASP will only have you bring it in once the parts have arrived and they have time to do the swap. The actual swap can then be done in half a day so you won't be w/o your MBP for long. That said, this could turn out to be rather expensive since you're out of warranty.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 27, 2008, 12:20 PM

i guess the smc wont do anything in this case.
go to Apple
R.I.P Steve Jobs

marsbt  (op)
Jun 27, 2008, 02:41 PM

I downloaded the smcFanControl application to see if it is the fan which is making the noise. It won't be able to solve the issue. Narrowing down the cause was the objective in using smcFanControl.

I use the compressed air can today on the right side vents thinking if it is something stuck in the path of the fan blades, it could be dislodged. Nothing changed unfortunately.

Now I will have to weight my options to open it up myself or take it to the AASP. But first I will get that hardware utility to run and see if it comes out with any new information.

Thanks for the answers.

marsbt  (op)
Jun 28, 2008, 09:58 AM

I ran the Hardware Diagnostic tool today and it didn't find any error during either of the normal test or the extended test. Does that mean that the problem is most likely to be with the fan assembly? I'm tempted to believe that it is more of a mechanical problem and has nothing to do with the MLB.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2008, 10:16 AM

I had fan noise and got an AHT error code for the fan assembly. I got a new fan and new MLB. A friend had the same problem and didn't get an AHT error code. The AASP still replaced the fan and the MLB on his.

Looks like you will just have to bring it in to find out more.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 28, 2008, 11:01 PM

could also be dust clogging something
R.I.P Steve Jobs

marsbt  (op)
Jul 1, 2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I had fan noise and got an AHT error code for the fan assembly. I got a new fan and new MLB. A friend had the same problem and didn't get an AHT error code. The AASP still replaced the fan and the MLB on his.

Looks like you will just have to bring it in to find out more.
Hi Simon, was your MBP under warranty? Would you know how much it cost for the new fan and MLB? That would give me an idea of how much to expect.

mkerr64: yes, that is a possibility too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2008, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by marsbt View Post
Hi Simon, was your MBP under warranty? Would you know how much it cost for the new fan and MLB? That would give me an idea of how much to expect.
It was under warranty. According to the invoice I received they "charged" about $80 for the fan and the MLB was about $700, IIRC that is.

marsbt  (op)
Jul 4, 2008, 10:55 PM

$700!!! for the MLB. It would be economical for me to buy the Apple Care which will extend my warranty till about mid 2009 and then take it to AASP.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2008, 03:29 AM

It would have been economical, yes.

But since your MBP is out of warranty you cannot get AppleCare anymore. Now it's either pay for the repair or buy a new device.

marsbt  (op)
Jul 5, 2008, 09:30 AM

Grrr.... that means I will have to shell out that much if a MLB change is needed

My brother was talking to me about this and said that I had paid $2500 for this thing and such is the reliability of these devices that one can't even expect them to work for a few years without problems and the only way to make sure your investment is safe is to pay protection money to Apple in the shape of Apple Care!!

I would rather sell it off to someone for about $1200 and then invest in an Thinkpad next time......or even go for a Dell which can easily be changed every year or so without worrying too much about the money spent!

Forum Links
Forum Rules