Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > is my iPod dead, I mean beyond help?

is my iPod dead, I mean beyond help?
OreoCookie
Sep 1, 2005, 08:02 AM

It's been coming for a long time. I have a 2nd gen 20 gig iPod, which can honestly claim it was the biggest iPod ever made

Anyway, the headphone jack was loose for a long time and now after years of wear-and-tear, the inner ring for the remote control broke. Now, I can hear nothing anymore and the headphone jack is extremely loose, causing the iPod even to reboot.

So I can't hear anything basically anymore, and even worse, the iPod reboots `randomly'. Can I repair this or should I put it on ebay and get a new one?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2005, 02:32 PM

I have seen the headphone jack part on eBay before, for not a great deal of money; although replacing it could be fiddly and involve soldering it on to the pcb.

I think it would be best to sell it for spares and upgrade to a nice new slim one

OreoCookie  (op)
Sep 1, 2005, 02:38 PM

Yeah, I'm toying with that idea, too. Although I was hoping it wouldn't die on me before next year when I start working.

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2005, 02:59 PM

try going to http://www.ipodresq.com

they have resonable rates for repair, and are quick.

OreoCookie  (op)
Sep 5, 2005, 04:49 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a try

misc
Sep 5, 2005, 04:27 PM

ipodresq will probably charge you an arm an a leg. It sounds like the problem is fixable with a little bit of solder and a steady hand. I think you can do it.

You make no mention of anything breaking, so I think that the jacks are "shorting out" causing you not to be able to hear anything. To fix you would need to open it up, find the headphone jack, identify the problem, re-solder, heat shrink (or tape) things back up so they don't short out again, and re-assemble.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Forum Links
Forum Rules