Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [Mail.app] Doesn't notify new mail in subfolders

[Mail.app] Doesn't notify new mail in subfolders
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2003, 06:18 PM

I'm always surprised when I go to my webbased email to see that some subfolders contain new mail, whil Mail.app hasn't notified me.

Mail that arrives in the regular inbox is recognized without any problem, but mail that comes in in custom subfolders are not seen...
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2003, 06:22 PM

Yep, it's been a well-documented request...

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2003, 06:56 PM

This little jewel fill this gap:

MailEnhancer

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 06:59 PM

couple suggested work-arounds:

(1) if you mean notify, as in "puts a badge on the dock icon with the number of new emails," you could change your sorting rules to simply color-code your incoming email so that you can easily select it and file it later. This way the dock icon badge still indicates the true number of new messages

(2) if you mean notify as in "play the incoming mail sound" you can simply add another result to your sorting rules so that messages sorted into those mailboxes causes the sound to play, (or even have custom sounds for each mailbox!)
cpac

forkies
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 11:18 PM

I installed this bundle and it works. However, I don't have the prefs pane in Mail. What's up?

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 04:11 AM

Sorry, I don't mean to put a badge on the dock (however that would be nice as well, the workaround won't work for me: my mail is filtered on the server-side)

I don't mean to play a sound either actually (although that would be nice as well)

I just don't see anything when I open Mail.app that says that folder contains new mail. There is no number indicating it, ie:

Inbox (3)
Custom Mail folder (2)

The folder listing doesn't say that particular folder has new mail, only when I open that folder it says so. Definitely a bug.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2003, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Ilja:
Inbox (3)
Custom Mail folder (2)

The folder listing doesn't say that particular folder has new mail, only when I open that folder it says so. Definitely a bug.
Weird, that doesn't happen to me

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 08:18 AM

if you mean notify as in "play the incoming mail sound" you can simply add another result to your sorting rules so that messages sorted into those mailboxes causes the sound to play, (or even have custom sounds for each mailbox!)
Only problem with this is that if you have new mail in multiple folders, you get multiple sounders... Which often will clip one another.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2003, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by Ilja:
I just don't see anything when I open Mail.app that says that folder contains new mail. There is no number indicating it, ie:

Inbox (3)
Custom Mail folder (2)

It should... does for me, but there are occasions when the info is wrong, such as after Mail has crashed on me. I then have to re-select all my custom folders to get the correct info displayed. After that, its OK again.

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 01:14 PM

maybe it's important that it is an IMAP account?

Forum Links
Forum Rules