Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Wonder if military leaders are good at RTS games?

Wonder if military leaders are good at RTS games?
faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 02:56 PM

Does anyone else kinda wonder if people like Gen. Franks are good at games like Command & Conquer? I think it would be fun to see them play. Haha, I bet some kids would just slaughter them.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
Does anyone else kinda wonder if people like Gen. Franks are good at games like Command & Conquer? I think it would be fun to see them play. Haha, I bet some kids would just slaughter them.
Well, if they aren't good at games like that, it would probably be flaws in the games, not in their strategies.

They have been trained in military thought, history and theory for years.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 03:18 PM

Do you know the origin of chess?

Hash
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 03:29 PM

I bet Bush never heard about chess. Even if he heard, he probably sucks at chess. I guess, he looks at black figures and shouts "Axes of Devil!", "Evil must be stopped", or "Who brought this evil here, is it you again, Powell?"

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Do you know the origin of chess?
It originated somewhere in Arabia. But it's highly abstracted from war, so I don't think it's giving much of an advantage, it that's what you wanted to imply.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
It originated somewhere in Arabia. But it's highly abstracted from war, so I don't think it's giving much of an advantage, it that's what you wanted to imply.
Yes, it is abstract. But as I understand the origins, it was regarded as developing analyical skills useful to battlefield commanders. It's not that you actually train people to make their horses hop sideways after going two lengths forward.

To answer the original question: Army officers do indeed play wargames, including computer simulations. But theirs are a lot more sophisticated than what you are thinking about.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2003, 03:56 PM

It's not that you actually train people to make their horses hop sideways after going two lengths forward.
Always harder to fight when your feet are connected to a round base...

Personally, I love chess, although my skills go up and down with the frequency of play.

Hash
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 03:58 PM

So, how do you fare compared to smart bomb?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
So, how do you fare compared to smart bomb?
Well, I probably couldn't find my way around Baghdad as well as a smart bomb.

Hash
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 04:19 PM

So you are dumber than human shields?

faragbre967  (op)
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 04:34 PM

Yes, it is abstract. But as I understand the origins, it was regarded as developing analyical skills useful to battlefield commanders. It's not that you actually train people to make their horses hop sideways after going two lengths forward.

To answer the original question: Army officers do indeed play wargames, including computer simulations. But theirs are a lot more sophisticated than what you are thinking about.
I'd like to get my hands on a copy of that sim. It would be sweet, although probably hard.

On second though, it's probably PC only....

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 04:42 PM

I'd like to get my hands on a copy of that sim. It would be sweet, although probably hard.

On second though, it's probably PC only....
It involves more than one computer, and several hundred people. Basically, they set up command units exactly as they would be set up in war, but the units being commanded in the field are replaced by computer simulations. It's a command exercise.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2003, 04:46 PM

. . . Shall we play a game?

-----

Gen. Beringer: Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks.

Mr. McKittrick: I don't have to take that, you pig-eyed sack a sh**!

Gen. Beringer: Oh, I was hoping for something a little better than that from you, a man of your education.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Forum Links
Forum Rules