Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What should the University of Illinois' new mascot be?

What should the University of Illinois' new mascot be?
Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 06:19 PM

I'm pretty sad to see the Chief go (and if anyone has spare tickets to the game Wednesday, I'm willing to pay ), but it's time to think of a new mascot. Half time will not be the same, but who/what should dance in the Cheif's place?

Illinois means "tribe of superior men" in Algonquin, but I don't know if we want to build on that (reminds me of the KKK).

Illinois has a lot of corn, so we could have a giant corn stalk dance at half time. That would be pretty funny (and depressing).

Or maybe just make it this guy:

Mr Blue Hands - Go Illini!

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 08:45 PM

I got a new mascot for ya: Deez Nutz!
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 08:48 PM

A platypus.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 08:49 PM

Firewater:

OR

Smallpox Blankets:

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2007, 08:58 PM

I have my BS and MS from the U of I and work as a researcher there (or here, rather). Despite this I'm really not much of a sports fan and don't follow any Illini sports very closely. But here's my opinion anyway...

I too am sorry to see the Chief go, and the U of I administration bow to pc pressure. When I think of other teams' mascots, such as the Boilermaker, the Fighting Irish guy, Fredbird, or the Philly Fanatic, well... these are just f-ing stupid and an idiotic embarrassment to the team. But whenever I've seen the student dancer portray the Chief, or have seen any symbol representing him, I see pride, honor, and strength. I don't see some asinine stuffed animal running around, rubbing people on the head and making a fool of itself. But I guess that's what the U of I will end up with now, because that's the kind of idiocy people seem to love. So I think your idea of a cornstalk would be fitting (and yes, depressing), unless it would offend Illinois farmers. It will be interesting to see what kind of milquetoast mascots are offered up over the next several months.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 08:58 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2007, 09:11 PM

It should've never changed. This is ridiculous.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 09:15 PM

Go with Cowboys

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2007, 09:51 PM

Its sad the Board of Trustees bowed to pressure from such an inconsequential minority of detractors. Most of whom probably do not contribute to the financial well being of the school or participate as active members of the alumni.
If there's a backlash and private donors dry up it will serve the school well as a lesson.

On the bright side, check out who's #1 on the NCAAB AP poll this week.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 19, 2007, 11:04 PM

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2007, 11:35 PM

They could always go with an ear of corn and then make Boku no Sexual Harassment required viewing for incoming frosh...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

faragbre967
Senior User
Feb 20, 2007, 12:17 AM

I hate it when public facilities bow to pressure from minority groups for being politically incorrect. Now, I'm only 20 and I know that's young but things like college mascots, 10 commandments in front of courts and "... one nation, under God..." have been around all my life. While I think it's important to respect that people are different and that's what makes us all great, we can't forget the past. If we have start changing all these things just to accommodate everyone, you end up with no culture whatsoever.

And that's like eating unsalted, unbuttered, low-fat popcorn. And who likes that?

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 12:42 AM

To be fair to the U of I administration, I think the pressure they were bowing to was that the NCAA wasn't going to allow their teams to play any post season games if they kept the Chief. That put a little more pressure on them than the demonstrations by Native Americans and other concerned parties.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 12:54 AM

What about the Illinois Wasps?

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Feb 20, 2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dave N View Post
But whenever I've seen the student dancer portray the Chief, or have seen any symbol representing him, I see pride, honor, and strength. I don't see some asinine stuffed animal running around, rubbing people on the head and making a fool of itself.
Yeah...this just screams "pride, honor and strength":

He may not be stuffed, but he's definitely an asinine animal running around making a fool of himself.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 02:11 AM

Abraham Lincoln. Check it, there's a couple of facebook groups already for his to be the new mascot.

(I'm a Sophmore at UIUC)

Bax23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 02:55 PM

It is not that they could not participate in a post-season event, it is that they could not host a post-season event. Hosting events is a revenue source for Universities. During the basketball tournament each site is hosted by a nearby University. Illinois would no longer be able to host such events if they did not comply with the NCAA. What is interesting is that the rules don't seem to apply to everyone. Florida State (the Seminoles) is seemingly unaffected. I believe I remember that they got permission and support from the Seminole Nation of Florida. I am not sure why that matters, but it does and thier chief continues to throw the flaming spear at midfield prior to all home football games.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 03:49 PM

Lincoln was a warmonger who lied about his reasons for going to war.

Plus he didn't believe in global warming.

And he was a racist.

SVass
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 04:35 PM

Lincoln was a lawyer which tells us all we need to know about his character.! As one who grew up near his home in Springfield, I suggest a Lincoln log which will allow for a less active mascot. sam

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 05:07 PM

If I were a student there... I would vote for the most ridiculously basic option.

The Illinois Grey Circle!!!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 05:23 PM

Exterminate, EXTERMINATE!

Perfect choice.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
If I were a student there... I would vote for the most ridiculously basic option.

The Illinois Grey Circle!!!
The Illinois Inanimate Carbon Rod, maybe?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post

Exterminate, EXTERMINATE!

Perfect choice.
Got my vote.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
That says it all right there.

But for the utterly clueless out there, Native American headdresses, feathers, face paint, etc. are sacred religious symbols. For non-Native Americans to run around in such garb ... in most instances completely oblivious to the meaning of the imagery it portrays to the community that produced it ... for a friggin sporting event is just out of line. Plain and simple. Imagine if a Muslim soccer team from Iran had a Jewish guy in a yammukah as their "mascot"!

Sure it's a tradition. Sure some people claim to be "honoring" Native Americans by using such imagery as a team mascot. But previously such people could hang their hats on ignorance about this being by and large offensive to the Native American community. But now that they know that most in the Native American community do not feel "honored" by such displays .... there really is no excuse for continuing such practices.

OAW

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 06:59 PM

The should call the team the Homies and have a white guy in blackface and a giant afro wig run around eating fried chicken and watermelon.

It would basically be the same thing.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 08:10 PM

i think there aren't enough teams named after beavers out there.

oh, and poli/war much?

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2007, 08:36 PM

I really think the U of I dropped the ball on this one. If the Chief did other things besides just dance (Indian history education things, for example), then I don't think there would be as much uproar. He's too one dimensional, and so he's getting canned

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 08:44 PM

The Illinois Broke Ass Students

No need to confuse things.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The should call the team the Homies and have a white guy in blackface
Because there aren't enough black athletes who voluntarily project negative stereotypes?
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Feb 20, 2007 at 11:32 PM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
The Illinois Inanimate Carbon Rod, maybe?
In Rod We Trust.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2007, 10:55 PM

Might as well name ourselves after something our university is known for anyways...

The Fightin' Computer Science Nerds.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2007, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
That says it all right there.

But for the utterly clueless out there, Native American headdresses, feathers, face paint, etc. are sacred religious symbols. For non-Native Americans to run around in such garb ... in most instances completely oblivious to the meaning of the imagery it portrays to the community that produced it ... for a friggin sporting event is just out of line. Plain and simple. Imagine if a Muslim soccer team from Iran had a Jewish guy in a yammukah as their "mascot"!

Sure it's a tradition. Sure some people claim to be "honoring" Native Americans by using such imagery as a team mascot. But previously such people could hang their hats on ignorance about this being by and large offensive to the Native American community. But now that they know that most in the Native American community do not feel "honored" by such displays .... there really is no excuse for continuing such practices.

OAW

Well said OAW.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 01:17 AM

Today was the Chief's last dance, I wore a Chief shirt, and I literally got yelled at several times during the day. A group standing outside the African-American studies house literally came out on the lawn to mock me and call me names while I walked by on the sidewalk

Considering it's supposed to be the Chief side that's full of hatred and intolerance, I felt awfully threatened today.

Do I see the Chief as honoring Native Americans?
No.

Do I see the Chief as making me racist and insensitive to the plight that the Native Americans suffered at the hands of my forefathers?
Hell No.

Apparently saying that the Chief is just a symbol that has brought thousands together, little more, little less, makes me a bad person.
( Last edited by King Bob On The Cob; Feb 22, 2007 at 01:31 AM. )

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Do I see the Chief as making me racist and insensitive to the plight that the Native Americans suffered at the hands of my forefathers?
Hell No.
No, it just makes you insenstive to Native Americans in your community...who are your fellow students, university faculty and potentially your neighbors.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2007, 02:00 AM

First of all, who cares about the sanctity of religion? I thought we decided that religious was bogus and should be parodied and exposed for the dangerous hoax it is?

Also, if using religion is a problem, why is nobody complaining about the Wake Forest Deacons? Shouldn't "Demon Deacons" be extremely offensive to poor, helpless Christians?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2007, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
First of all, who cares about the sanctity of religion? I thought we decided that religious was bogus and should be parodied and exposed for the dangerous hoax it is?

Also, if using religion is a problem, why is nobody complaining about the Wake Forest Deacons? Shouldn't "Demon Deacons" be extremely offensive to poor, helpless Christians?
No...minorities are the only ones allowed to be offended by such things.

Take my U fo example. All these fliers for Asian frats, Black frats, hispanic club etc etc. What would happen if I decided to make an all white frat?

Our nation is so afraid of not being PC that minorities become priveledged and treated in a manner unfair to the rest of the population.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by keekeeree View Post
No, it just makes you insenstive to Native Americans in your community...who are your fellow students, university faculty and potentially your neighbors.
No, it just means that I don't equate a symbol with a group of people, who are just that, my fellow students, my faculty, and my neighbors. They're my equals.

They're people. Not the icon.
( Last edited by King Bob On The Cob; Feb 22, 2007 at 03:54 AM. )

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SVass View Post
Lincoln was a lawyer which tells us all we need to know about his character.! As one who grew up near his home in Springfield, I suggest a Lincoln log which will allow for a less active mascot. sam
why is it that when I read this I thought of log?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
No...minorities are the only ones allowed to be offended by such things.

Take my U fo example. All these fliers for Asian frats, Black frats, hispanic club etc etc. What would happen if I decided to make an all white frat?

Our nation is so afraid of not being PC that minorities become priveledged and treated in a manner unfair to the rest of the population.
Surely you jest? First of all the raison d'etre for "black frats" is because of the exclusionary history of "white frats" who wouldn't allow black members. So black people went out and started their own. It amazes me how some in the white community are quick to lecture black people about "pulling themselves up by the bootstraps" and not looking for "handouts" ... but when they do just that they get criticized for it! But anyhoo, even today there are plenty of "white frats" at most colleges and universities. I'm sure this isn't anything codified into the bylaws at this stage in the game, but instead is more a factor of tradition. The same is true for so-called "black frats" ... all of which are open to people of all races. So let's not even go there.

OAW

Monique
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 04:26 PM

Big lady bunny

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Surely you jest? First of all the raison d'etre for "black frats" is because of the exclusionary history of "white frats" who wouldn't allow black members. So black people went out and started their own. It amazes me how some in the white community are quick to lecture black people about "pulling themselves up by the bootstraps" and not looking for "handouts" ... but when they do just that they get criticized for it! But anyhoo, even today there are plenty of "white frats" at most colleges and universities. I'm sure this isn't anything codified into the bylaws at this stage in the game, but instead is more a factor of tradition. The same is true for so-called "black frats" ... all of which are open to people of all races. So let's not even go there.

OAW
Nope, frats can have their charter pulled (At least here at UI), if they discriminate based on race and are caught (No frat is willing to risk that).

You seem to have some anger issues with whites judging by your messages. Were you a victim of any hate crimes perpetrated by a caucasian? Just like you can't lump all blacks together, you can't lump all whites together. Don't blame everyone for the choices of some.

Tolerance is a two way street. Don't preach it if you are going to talk about the "white evil" out the other side of your mouth.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Nope, frats can have their charter pulled (At least here at UI), if they discriminate based on race and are caught (No frat is willing to risk that).
Clearly you didn't read the last three sentences in my post.

OAW

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 08:59 PM

Just the Chief.

Forum Links
Forum Rules