Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you think OS X will eventually fail mircosoft?

Do you think OS X will eventually fail mircosoft?
Bob Marley
Mar 7, 2007, 10:36 PM

More and more people are choosing Macs. I know people have been using Windows for a long time, but look what happened to OS X dominating before-got screwed. Could that happen if apple just got OS X more known around the world? I think so.
Personally, i predict that microsoft will get up to their next OS and start losing popularity to OS X. And with a $50-100 price drop they could turn microsoft into crap-only they wouldnt have iPod to back them up with extra money for better computers.

Good thing we all know how to use OS X

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 7, 2007, 11:38 PM

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Um, so who's going to win?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 7, 2007, 11:48 PM

Okay.

I just had a beer. And it must have been a lot better than I was expecting because I have absolutely no clue what you just said.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
More and more people are choosing Macs. I know people have been using Windows for a long time, but look what happened to OS X dominating before-got screwed. Could that happen if apple just got OS X more known around the world? I think so.
Personally, i predict that microsoft will get up to their next OS and start losing popularity to OS X. And with a $50-100 price drop they could turn microsoft into crap-only they wouldnt have iPod to back them up with extra money for better computers.

Translation:

Many more people are using Macs nowadays. Although windows is extremey popular, the Mac OS was once very popular as well. However, look what happened: they got screwed by microsoft. Apple could do the same thing this time around if their marketshare increased.

Personally, I think that Vista will lose popularity to OS X (especially with Leapord around the corner). And if Leapord was $50-$100 cheaper, Vista would look llike crap. Except Microsoft won't develop the iPod to keep their company alive.

Good thing we all use Macs

Right?

Atomic Rooster
Mar 8, 2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Okay.

I just had a beer. And it must have been a lot better than I was expecting because I have absolutely no clue what you just said.
Have another and it will all make sense.

Or watch the Da Vinci Code.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 12:06 AM

Hum? Was that post that hard to read? English is not my native language and I didn't have any problem reading it..

Atomic Rooster
Mar 8, 2007, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Hum? Was that post that hard to read? English is not my native language and I didn't have any problem reading it..
"Do you think OS X will eventually fail mircosoft?"

Yeah, but did it fail you?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 12:16 AM

It was for me. I had to read it like 5 times.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2007, 01:32 AM

I think your question was, could OS X unseat Windows. The answer? No. Could it become a reasonable competitor on the same level as Windows in regards to capability? It already has. Will it continue to gain popularity in the higher end/high margin market? Yes.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2007, 01:55 AM

You people living in this decade are so predictable. You think it's all about OS wars. What you plebs don't understand is that Internet applications, (Web 2.0 was just a start) is where things will be heading. What OS you're using will matter less and less because the internet is cross platform.

-2018 computer user.

climber
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
...What OS you're using will matter less and less because the internet is cross platform.
Not if MS has it their way. They are still tying desperately to have the internet equal reliance on their closed proprietary formats and technology.
climber

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 8, 2007, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
Not if MS has it their way. They are still tying desperately to have the internet equal reliance on their closed proprietary formats and technology.
Hopefully a strong Mac OS X (or even Linux or some new-comer) market share will keep that from happening. The more people see that Windows isn't the only OS and that it isn't even that great compared to other OS's will force MS to adopt the real standards. Of course, that could just be wishful thinking.

I've got a Java for Dummies book from 1998 that talks about the OS being irrelevant in the future, and it still hasn't changed more than a few percentage points in terms of market share.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2007, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
You people living in this decade are so predictable. You think it's all about OS wars. What you plebs don't understand is that Internet applications, (Web 2.0 was just a start) is where things will be heading. What OS you're using will matter less and less because the internet is cross platform..
That's what people said about Java back in the '90s.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2007, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Everybody, get your Sam's "Teach yourself BASIC in 24 hours" books now.
10 PRINT "hello world"
20 GOTO 10

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2007, 08:38 AM

I think we should immortalize the title of this thread in some way.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Translation:

Many more people are using Macs nowadays. Although windows is extremey popular, the Mac OS was once very popular as well. However, look what happened: they got screwed by microsoft. Apple could do the same thing this time around if their marketshare increased.

Personally, I think that Vista will lose popularity to OS X (especially with Leapord around the corner). And if Leapord was $50-$100 cheaper, Vista would look llike crap. Except Microsoft won't develop the iPod to keep their company alive.

Good thing we all use Macs

Right?
I'm impressed..

Well done! Now I can understand the OP.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2007, 08:43 AM

Perhaps that's what helped you to understand it. I wonder if your experience with other languages allowed you to recognize constructs that were used in the post that are not used in English.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 09:14 AM

Personally, I think that Vista will lose popularity to OS X (especially with Leapord around the corner). And if Leapord was $50-$100 cheaper, Vista would look llike crap.
Not going to happen, there's a snowball chance in hell that Vista is going to lose popularity, not that I think its superior to osx. Just consider that every pc, whether its a dell, gateway or hp will have vista preloaded. Where as OSX is mac only.
Michael

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Not going to happen, there's a snowball chance in hell that Vista is going to lose popularity, not that I think its superior to osx. Just consider that every pc, whether its a dell, gateway or hp will have vista preloaded. Where as OSX is mac only.
I completely agree. I was just retyping the original post.

I don't think, unless a very unusual set of circumstances occur, that Apple will be able to get anything other than a significant HOME based marketshare.

I think Microsofts foothold in businesses is so strong that it will be the de facto standard, and that it is "good enough" for the majority of large companies, and there is no incentive to spend the time/money/effort switching everything over.

However I do think that over the next few years we will see a dramatic change in home users from Windows to Macs. Apple is perfectly poised to take a huge chunk out of that specific market.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 12:28 PM

OMG, I was just thinking the same thing.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 04:05 PM

Apple's primary market will continue to be artistic, creative, musical individuals. I do think they're getting a greater share of the home computing market, but I don't see them getting more than a 15% overall market share, even in the brightest of futures.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 07:28 PM

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Bob Marley  (op)
Mar 8, 2007, 07:40 PM

Lol. Typos suck :/

Still, im american, so f*** off

lol OS X>Vista
ive seen vista, i cant do anything without ie7 sayin "not responding", this is supposed to be an upgrade...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2007, 08:21 PM

lol OS X>Vista
ive seen vista, i cant do anything without ie7 sayin "not responding", this is supposed to be an upgrade...

No, they weren't typos. You've made several several grammatical mistakes here too.

I suggest taking care of this problem.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2007, 10:30 PM

Actually only consumers can fail Micro$cam.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 8, 2007, 10:54 PM

lol OS X>Vista

Bob Marley  (op)
Mar 9, 2007, 05:26 PM

i like penis too m8

Railroader
Banned
Mar 9, 2007, 07:02 PM

i like penis too m8
[img]http://www.ucscfootball.com/lol.JPG[img]
Looks like yet another MacNNer comes out of the closet.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 07:21 PM

English not being your native language may have been more of a benefit than a hindrance.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 07:27 PM

I completely agree. I was just retyping the original post.

I don't think, unless a very unusual set of circumstances occur, that Apple will be able to get anything other than a significant HOME based marketshare.

I think Microsofts foothold in businesses is so strong that it will be the de facto standard, and that it is "good enough" for the majority of large companies, and there is no incentive to spend the time/money/effort switching everything over.

However I do think that over the next few years we will see a dramatic change in home users from Windows to Macs. Apple is perfectly poised to take a huge chunk out of that specific market.

I don't know about the Apple being limited to the home market.

I go into a ton of fortune 500 companies. Specifically I go into their data centers. Five years ago I would NEVER see anything related to a Mac in there. Perhaps I'd see a blue Mac on the desk of a marketing person or a graphics person, but that's about it.

Now I see quite a few major businesses with X-Serves in their data-centers. Most of them are running networks of Windows computers. Hey, it's a foot in the door, right? In the past 9 months or so I'm also starting to see a bunch of execs running around with MacBook Pros.

Times are a'changin ....
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2007, 09:24 AM

Another good article about Macs gaining traction in the enterprise:

Why Apple's 'consumer' Macs are enterprise-worthy
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 09:55 AM

Then you must use the Force to read or something, because most of the OP made no sense. Let's check it out shall we..

More and more people are choosing Macs.
True, makes sense.

I know people have been using Windows for a long time, but look what happened to OS X dominating before-got screwed.
OS X never dominated anything and never got screwed (except from having a proper Finder..) - however it is true people have been using Windows for a long time. This makes no sense, so one hopes answers will be found later in the post..

Could that happen if apple just got OS X more known around the world? I think so.
Could what happen? The last description made was "look what happened to OS X dominating before-got screwed", so no. Since OS X *never* dominated *anything* I can't imagine them getting screwed again (?!??)

Personally, i predict that microsoft will get up to their next OS and start losing popularity to OS X.
Sort of makes sense in a drunken/insane kind of way. A prediction that M$ is gonna lose marketshare to OS X in the future. Thanks for starting a thread about that

And with a $50-100 price drop they could turn microsoft into crap-only they wouldnt have iPod to back them up with extra money for better computers.
Eh 'crap-only'? Is this a new word or is the OP such a dipshit that he's using dashes as punctuation marks? (take a wild guess)

So *they* could beat Microsoft, meanwhile (and at the same time) *they* are not going to have iPod to back them up. Huh. Apple won't have the iPod. I'm going to bet against OP there.

Err, yea it's great. Too bad the OP doesn't know English, how to express oneself in English (or any other language I dare to venture) and doesn't know *squat* about the products he's using.

Apple dominated the home-computer (notice I am NOT starting a new sentance, I use PUNCTUATION for PUNCTUATION) for the first 4 years after it created it. Microsoft didn't do anything at that time to undermine Apple's postion. Mostly that was done by IBM and compatables. Later by Microsoft and Commodore and Atari.

Apple would never become market leader again in the industry it created. That doesn't mean the OP's post is legeble and it certainly doesn't mean that it is even slightly interesting. Excepting that the OP was written in 'code'. That made it kinda funny.

I hope the mods discourage such posting in the future.

V

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 09:58 AM

lol OS X>Vista
You suck at teh intarweb.

Stop.

V

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2007, 12:01 PM

ouch.

harsh.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Another good article about Macs gaining traction in the enterprise:

Why Apple's 'consumer' Macs are enterprise-worthy

Which is why Apple really needs to get their act together. For years, our campus Mac guys have been complaining about Apple's lack of support and shoulder shrugging, and this continues to this day. Also, if Apple wants their Desktop technologies to thrive, they need to either get in bed with the major server OS makers, or else put a serious effort into bringing OS X Server up to where it needs to be.

For instance, I hope that one can setup a Time Machine server to store TM revisions rather than having to tether each individual Mac to an external hard drive. I also hope that this server doesn't have to be OS X 10.5.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I also hope that this server doesn't have to be OS X 10.5.
Why on earth would you even consider that it might not, much less hope such a thing?
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 02:20 PM

Why on earth would you even consider that it might not, much less hope such a thing?
Because database files are just files, nothing magical there. I don't mind being without an Apple admin GUI, but it would be a bad move on Apple's part if they didn't allow these database files being stored on different file systems. Most large businesses are not running OS X Server, and will probably not be interested in shelling out for an OS X based server just to handle a task that can be accommodated via a variety of other means.

marden
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 02:41 PM

Not to pile on or anything (I think the point has already been made! ) but the O.P.'s manner of communicating is pretty common in MS oriented chat rooms. Bad grammar, incomplete and unclear thoughts, ambiguities and misspellings but lots of fun and attitude. MacNN may not have the absolute brightest assemblage of posters of any site on the internet (even though it is much better than most) but after visiting other sites you can better appreciate the standards of coherency and legibility found here.

A good thing.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 02:45 PM

Because database files are just files, nothing magical there. I don't mind being without an Apple admin GUI, but it would be a bad move on Apple's part if they didn't allow these database files being stored on different file systems. Most large businesses are not running OS X Server, and will probably not be interested in shelling out for an OS X based server just to handle a task that can be accommodated via a variety of other means.

In other words, about the only way Apple could ruin it would be to make these files require a lot of metadata that wouldn't work with an xattr supported filesystem, or not support using network volumes at all.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 10, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I am so obsessed with my own self that I quote myself
In other words, I will simplify it for you simple minded people, I love me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 04:43 PM

If they're not interested in Apple's wares, why on earth would Apple try to accommodate them? "Hey, guys, let's build a feature into our product that is only interesting to people who will still refuse to buy our product!"
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 05:02 PM

If they're not interested in Apple's wares, why on earth would Apple try to accommodate them? "Hey, guys, let's build a feature into our product that is only interesting to people who will still refuse to buy our product!"

Because if a company is looking into deploying OS X clients and in order to do backups in a sensible way they have to budget for an Apple server on top of the cost of the clients, this would not be a good thing.

Of course, in this same scenario the company may just opt to use another backup product, but it seems like this is big enough a market for Apple to want to get right - I would imagine that they would be interested in everybody using Time Machine in all sorts of environments, although I could be wrong.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2007, 06:09 PM

For Apple to fail Microsoft, it will have to trash the idea of tying the OS to the hardware (in other words, letting the OS X run on a crummy PC.)

It could happen, but it also may not happen.

1) Apple would have to write drivers for a million products. (wireless cards, CD drives, chipsets, etc.)
2) Apple is really proprietary.
3) Apple is all about vertical integration.

But Jobs should still embrace the cloning idea (Power Computing had some really great ideas-selling machines direct before Apple did.)

In addition, Apple does not make a budget tower. Most PC users go for budget towers, not AIO's (not to put down the iMac, it's a great product). People like putting more RAM, HD's, newer optical disc drives, video cards, etc.

The way Apple makes their money is buy not making products that are affordable expandable (like the Mac mini)-thus making the consumer go out an buy a new Mac every two years, instead of four for a PC.
( Last edited by Northeastern292; Mar 10, 2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Adding more stuff)
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
But Jobs should still embrace the cloning idea (Power Computing had some really great ideas-selling machines direct before Apple did.)
What are you smoking? The last time Apple "embraced the cloning idea," it almost died.
Chuck
___

Bob Marley  (op)
Mar 10, 2007, 10:58 PM

Penis Big Large Penis

marden
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 12:27 AM

Penis Big Large Penis
Well if you talk about Penii, more and more people are choosing Penis. I know people have been using Big Ones for a long time, but look what happened to Penis dominating before-got screwed. Could that happen if BM just got Penii more known around the world? I think so.
Personally, i predict that Big Large Ones will get up to their next Penis and start losing popularity to Penii. And with a $50-100 price drop they could turn Penis into crap-only they wouldnt have iPeni to back them up with extra money for better computers.

Good thing we all know how to use our Penis Big Large Penis.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2007, 12:39 AM

... you know I'm glad I'm a penis user and not a vagina user...

marden
Baninated
Mar 11, 2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
... you know I'm glad I'm a penis user and not a vagina user...
Just as long as you don't abuse them.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2007, 01:36 AM

I don't think OSX will eventually "fail" Microsoft. I think Linux will eventually "fail" OSX and Microsoft.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2007, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I don't think OSX will eventually "fail" Microsoft. I think Linux will eventually "fail" OSX and Microsoft.
Actually, I think it will be Microsoft that "will eventually 'fail' Microsoft". They are their own worst enemy. I think the release of Vista and all the negative press it has received is proof of this. I would have loved it if Microsoft did something truly bold like Apple and said we are starting over with a clean sheet. Imagine if they had spent the past five years building a brand-new OS built on WinFS and all the Vista eye-candy and built it from the ground up to be ultra-secure. Something like that would have kept Apple as a small niche player in the OS market, no matter how good OS X was/is. Microsoft could have done something this radical but instead they chose the path of least resistance and have continued to add to the bloated code-base that is Windows OS.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules