Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you like Halo?

View Poll Results: Do you like Halo?
Poll Options:
Yes 19 votes (41.30%)
No 12 votes (26.09%)
Never played it 15 votes (32.61%)
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll
Do you like Halo?
faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 10:20 PM

There is a thread right now about PS2 vs GC vs Xbox, and in that I brought up that Halo has the best AI of any game, and that I think it's one of the best games ever made. Some people disagree. What do you think?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 10:58 PM

If you think it's the best game ever made then obviously you haven't tried Metroid Prime

Truepop
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 11:14 PM

Yeah... I like Halo.

The game is great but yet I am too used to Quake and Unreal to use a controler (a huge controler) to play FPS.

I don't own it and none of my friends do but there is an xbox/dell/ps2 game center downtown that we play at sometimes after kicking the 12-16 year-olds off.

bunch of slackers why can't they get a job...

eVil_kEybOarD
Mar 16, 2003, 11:25 PM

Halo is a pretty cool game, especially in multi-player mode. The graphics are awesome and the AI is excellent. My only gripe is that after about 30 minutes to an hour of playing, it begins to get repetitive. There is only so much techno-dungeon-alien-slaying mayhem I can take before my brain implodes.

Right now I'm really into playing Spliter Cell on the Xbox. I give that game . The graphics and lighting effects are simply . Look for it on the GC in May. (I think May is right?)

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 11:34 PM

I was intrested in it until I heard it takes 10 hours to finish.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

benb
Mar 16, 2003, 11:42 PM

It was great, and I was really looking forward to it, then Microsoft bought Bungie because they needed a good game to sell the XBox. Man...too bad about Bungie, they made such great games.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2003, 11:45 PM

The default controls are shyte, and the prefs to change them are too complicated (when I tilt the look stick forward I want to look down, damnit!). The pace of the game was slow (to be expected for a console FPS, but I know there are crack-head PC FPS fans out there). There was no plot whatsoever (oooh, yey! I'm stuck on a prison "world" and the flood is out to get me, not much worse than most FPSes, but still a valid concern, IMHO).

Last, but certainly not least, Microsoft is evil. Halo has the taint of the beast...

BlackGriffen

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 11:47 PM

fun but not exactly flagship worthy imo
snappy

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I was intrested in it until I heard it takes 10 hours to finish.
I thought it was around 7-8 hours?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I thought it was around 7-8 hours?
Well I guess Starman isn't that great of a player

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 12:14 AM

Well I guess Starman isn't that great of a player
You're such an ass.

It was 10 hours on LEGENDARY, 7-8 on Normal.

Your memory's about as good as your personality.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 12:23 AM

You can't judge a game soley on the time it takes to finish it. People are bashing Unreal II because it's so short comapared to the original. However, Unreal II is really a lot of F-U-N. Final Fantasy X took me 55 hours to complete. FIFTY-FIVE. Now, it was an awesome game, but I really would have liked it to be a tad shorter. My nephew finished the Master Quest verion of Ocarina of Time in under a week. Does that mean it's a bad game? No, he just has more free time than I do.

Mike

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2003, 12:25 AM

Halo:orgy::metroid:masturbation

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by putamare:
Halo:orgy::metroid:masturbation
If you're going to insult a game, do it properly, the analogy notation would be like this:

Halo:Metroid::orgy:masturbation

I didn't know you could get STD's from Halo! (The other thing you have to be careful about analogies for )

How about this one:

Halo:Metroid::Rambo:Saving Private Ryan

BlackGriffen

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 12:42 AM

I still don't see how Halo was suppose to be so revolutionary. It's all the guys play in my dorm and it looks just like UT or every other FPS.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by starman:
You're such an ass.

It was 10 hours on LEGENDARY, 7-8 on Normal.

Your memory's about as good as your personality.

Mike
The 30 something gets so offended when a gay 27 year old say that Halo took him 2 hours longer to complete then Adam had originally thought

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 12:51 AM

Halo bored me
alot

my friend got an xbox for his graduation present and i played it for awhile, didn't find it that great. Graphics are decent, but easily beat by Resident Evil, or Metroid Prime. And honestly the story line was kinda boring. Ya i get it, that the landscapes were massive and sprawling on purpose but it just made the game boring. Nightfire had more upbeat gameplay

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
If you're going to insult a game, do it properly...
While my representation was improper (it has been a while since standardized testing for me), I had no intention to insult either game, but rather to point out that both are good for what they are, and that what they are is not necessarily the same.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by putamare:
While my representation was improper (it has been a while since standardized testing for me), I had no intention to insult either game, but rather to point out that both are good for what they are, and that what they are is not necessarily the same.
There's that lack of clarity problem with analogies again. I thought you were just comparing quantity of pleasure, when you were also comparing availability/frequency.

My mistake.

BlackGriffen

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I still don't see how Halo was suppose to be so revolutionary. It's all the guys play in my dorm and it looks just like UT or every other FPS.
because it is.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
because it is.
How? Or are you going to say "because"?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 02:12 AM

How? Or are you going to say "because"?
Take a good look at Halo and any other FPS on the planet. It is a FSP, it was made to be a FPS thus it is a FPS.

Probably would have been pretty sweet looking if it came out on time all those years ago, that and console controlllers just suck for FPS.

But Helo is a FPS. This is a Fact.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
Take a good look at Halo and any other FPS on the planet. It is a FSP, it was made to be a FPS thus it is a FPS.

Probably would have been pretty sweet looking if it came out on time all those years ago, that and console controlllers just suck for FPS.

But Helo is a FPS. This is a Fact.
Wow, all that and you still said nothing.

It is a great game because it is A FPS like it should be? Huh?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 05:06 AM

halo followed the formula of 007 for N64 as basically every shooter subsequent to that game of any quality has. It has nice pretty graphics, reasonably impressive AI and clever controls. Other than that it's really standard fare. Nothing particularly interesting about the plotline or any of that. If you want to play a real FPS wonder play TimeSplitters 2. It is the best FPS multiplayer ever made. The single player is kinda silly, but reasonably fun and worth doing to open up all the multiplayer junk. TimeSplitters 2 can be had on all three consoles thuss rendering the halo/xbox advantage null.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
halo followed the formula of 007 for N64 as basically every shooter subsequent to that game of any quality has. It has nice pretty graphics, reasonably impressive AI and clever controls. Other than that it's really standard fare. Nothing particularly interesting about the plotline or any of that. If you want to play a real FPS wonder play TimeSplitters 2. It is the best FPS multiplayer ever made. The single player is kinda silly, but reasonably fun and worth doing to open up all the multiplayer junk. TimeSplitters 2 can be had on all three consoles thuss rendering the halo/xbox advantage null.
The more I play TimeSplitters 2 on multiplayer, the more I start to dislike it. It is just too slow for me. Goldeneye 007 is still far better in multiplayer, IMHO.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 05:30 AM

My question is why was it touted as a gaming revolution when it was just like every other game?

Was it just because it was actually more of an FPS for a computer, but on a console, instead of a 4-way-super-tiny-split-screen like 007?

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

as2
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 06:12 AM

My question is why was it touted as a gaming revolution when it was just like every other game?
Becuase in some respects it is.

Firstly the graphics are very good. Not the best, but very good.
Secondly the scope of the game is amazing. I've played it all the way through about 10 times now, on every difficulty level, and it is still entertaining.
Thirdly the oponents you encounter are some of the most intelligent in any FPS. You throw a grenade at them, they run out the way, They are allways ducking and diving around, throwing grenades back at you.
There is also the system link games. On no other console can you play with friends in a massive 16player masacre. And you didn't even have to buy expensive link leads. I just used my home LAN setup.
Three other Xbox owning friends came round, plugged into TV's in my, and my housemates rooms. My XBox was in the living room, and hours of fun, and abuse followed.
You can't do that with a PS2!
And to get 16players on PC in your own home is not exactly easy!

A lot of people say the controls are bad... I've played FPS on PC's and Mac's lots, and still found it very easy to controll. I prefer the controller to that of the PS and GC, because they actually feel comfortable in my (big) hands.

Anyway... that's what I think.

Adam

500th Post!!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
There is a thread right now about PS2 vs GC vs Xbox, and in that I brought up that Halo has the best AI of any game, and that I think it's one of the best games ever made. Some people disagree. What do you think?
Halo was pretty cutting edge like 3 years ago. Unfortunately games like Doom 3 and the next iteration of the Unreal series (Unreal 2 was pretty weak from what I hear) will overtake it both visually and gameplay wise.

Halo is fun, don't get me wrong on that. But I don't think it is the best game ever made. When I played Halo it didn't strike me as having any ridiculously unique features. Sure the AI was smart, but that is kinda expected when the game is almost 5 years in development!

Theres plenty of games that will be like Halo. When they come out people will say that it is the best game of all time (i.e. Halo 2). I don't think Halo will withstand the test of time - people will forget about it when the next "revolutionary" (read: whatever Microsoft shoves down our throats) FPS comes out.

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents.

(BTW, I don't think Metroid Prime is better than Halo. Halo is much more complex in terms of AI and level design and those damn Metroid Prime controls pissed me off to no end.)

denim
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
What do you think?
I'll try Halo when it comes out. So far, it hasn't.

edit: there are a lot of play-testers, though. MS even gets them to pay for the privilege! Good marketting, I guess.
( Last edited by denim; Mar 17, 2003 at 12:14 PM. )
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 17, 2003, 12:05 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 6, 2004 at 10:50 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
I love Halo. I think it's a damn fine game. I don't care what anyone else thinks. And I don't see the point of comparing one game to another.

It's because certain Canadians have to convince themselves that their GameCube is the shiznit.

Mike

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 17, 2003, 12:12 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 6, 2004 at 10:50 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
But GameCubes are the shiznit. Let the fanboys be fanboys. Whatever.

I haven't even had time to play Metroid Prime in days. And I'm getting ornery.
The GC IS an awesome machine, but none of the three consoles are perfect (but the XBox is pretty damn close). That's why I'm platform agnostic.

Mike

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2003, 12:20 PM

Halo flat out rocks. We've been playing 8 person multiplayer here at the office for no less than two hours a day for over a year now. We're all pretty good by this point. We laugh at legendary. We sneer at other teams. We're such a bunch of sad, pathetic, superior b*stards.

Anyway, for those of you pissed about the whole Microsoft/Bungie thing, here's and excerpt from Bungie's "Letters to the Webmaster". Both entertaining and informative. Enjoy.

-----------------------
just one question

Why?

J Jerz, [email protected]

J-

"Why" is a question not asked often enough. Of course normally "Why?" is followed by other words to give it context and prevent the obvious "Why what?" answer.

You didn't bother to do that, so I have to guess at the context. And since everyone else is asking me about the MS buyout these days, I'll assume you meant it that way. At the very least it affords me the opportunity to tell a funny story. You know how staid and stodgy these Letters pages can sometimes get. And it may help explain exactly why I can be so blas� and caustic towards people who are taking the news too seriously.

"Why" was the question I was asking several weeks ago as several jackbooted thugs deposited me ass-first on The Couch. The Couch, in case you cannot figure it out by my use of capitalization, sat in The Office of The Man.

The Man sat in his chair, smiling, hoping to defuse the tension with a joke.

"WHASSSSSSSUP!" he yodeled. I successfully communicated a state of unamusement.

"Why have you dragged me here at the wholly unreasonable hour of 2:30 PM? Why do those thugs have a key to my apartment? Why can't you find any cute female jackbooted thugs to wrest me away from my beloved puppies?"

"I didn't know you had any puppies."

"I don't. But your mom does."

The Man grimaced. "For the remainder of this conversation I must invoke the dreaded No Mom Jokes clause." Suddenly it dawned on me that this was a serious moment.

He took a few moments to collect his thoughts and search for the right words. I took advantage of those same moments to search for loose change buried in The Couch. I didn't find any but contented myself with building a fortress out of The Cushions.

"I called you in here because I have some big news and I need to...are you listening to me?"

"WHO GOES THERE?" I shouted, peeking out at him through my peeking slot. "BE YE FRIEND OR FOE?" He replied by singlehandedly laying waste to my mighty fortress.

As I lay amidst the rubble, lamenting the destruction of my latest artistic triumph, The Man dropped another bomb on me: "Jason and I are selling the company."

I leapt to my feet. "You can't do that!" I screamed. "This place means too much to me!"

"That must be why you never show up for work. Or update the Letters page anymore," said The Man, archly. I hate him when he's Arch. Though not as much as I hate him when he's Edith. Never mind.

"You can't rush genius. And hey, you can't sell the company without my consent. I still have a controlling stake."

"Actually, you cashed that in already. Back when we needed to spring you from that Turkish prison."

"What Turkish prison?"

"Oh come on. That was only two months ago."

"What are you talking about?"

The Man fidgeted in his seat for a few moments. "Never mind. We're selling the company, and that's that. I don't know what you're so upset about."

"It comes naturally to me."

"Well, you shouldn't be angry. This will work out very well for you. You've got a lot in common with our new parent company."

"How so?"

"Well, for starters, they're also being investigated by the Department of Justice and sued by twenty different states. And that's just domestically."

A sudden feeling of unease gripped me. Like the feeling one might hypothetically get after eating half-cooked shrimp curry in the Rectal Prolapse ward of a poorly-funded Calcutta hospital.

Slowly I asked, "So who is this legally beleaguered sugar daddy?"

A pause ensued.

"Not...him?" I said.

"Yes...him," said The Man.

Both he and I were careful to use pronouns; we knew that if we accidentally said his name aloud three times in rapid succession, he would magically appear and wreak all sorts of havoc.

"So," I began, "not to display a sudden collapse of faith in your business acumen or anything, but is there any particular reason we've hopped in bed with a company that might as well use "Squeal like a pig" as their corporate motto?"

"I figured you would be skeptical," said The Man, "and I have prepared a short educational video which explains what we hope to achieve with this decision." He pushed a button on his desk and the office lights dimmed while a projection screen descended from the ceiling.

We watched the video. It was both entertaining and spiritually fulfilling. Afterwards I had only one question.

"So are we represented by the Alien, or by John Hurt?"

"Oh, we're definitely the Alien."

"Good."
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

eVil_kEybOarD
Mar 17, 2003, 12:33 PM

All this comparing Halo and MP is just ridiculous. One is very much a multi-player game and the other is not, therefore their game play is too different animals.

Halo was innovative at the time of it's release because their wasn't a game like it for the consoles, and there still is no 16 player game for the PS2 or GC like Halo. Period. End of story. If your going to compare Halo to something, it would have to be a PC game that is LAN friendly, like Quake III or something and not MP for the gamecube. Stop making me laugh people.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by eVil_kEybOarD:
All this comparing Halo and MP is just ridiculous. One is very much a multi-player game and the other is not, therefore their game play is too different animals.

Halo was innovative at the time of it's release because their wasn't a game like it for the consoles, and there still is no 16 player game for the PS2 or GC like Halo. Period. End of story. If your going to compare Halo to something, it would have to be a PC game that is LAN friendly, like Quake III or something and not MP for the gamecube. Stop making me laugh people.
But you have to understand that people feel the compultion to bash Halo just because it's on the XBox. I wonder what life would be like if GTA:VC were an XBox exclusive.

BTW: You're right.

Mike

benb
Mar 17, 2003, 02:28 PM

If Halo had come out on the original time schedule, for a simultaneous Mac/PC release like originally planned, it would have been quite revolutionary. A lot of this "revolutionary" hype came from the early days when it was not a console game.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by agasthya:
(BTW, I don't think Metroid Prime is better than Halo. Halo is much more complex in terms of AI and level design and those damn Metroid Prime controls pissed me off to no end.)
Halo is more complex in term or level design than Metroid? Haha. I think all of us can agree that Metroid is FAR more complex than Halo in term of level design.

In my opinion, the AI in Halo is so-so. I find AI in Unreal 2 far more intelligent.

The real reason why Halo is extremely popular is that you can do basically anything you want (exploding up car, go on aliens killing holocaust, etc etc). Metroid focus entirely on gameplay and that is why it's more of higher quality. In this area, Halo have better replayability.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by as2:
Thirdly the oponents you encounter are some of the most intelligent in any FPS. You throw a grenade at them, they run out the way, They are allways ducking and diving around, throwing grenades back at you.
The baddies did the same thing in Turok 2 for N64 years ago.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 03:16 PM

It's because certain Canadians have to convince themselves that their GameCube is the shiznit.

Mike
Well you can't be talking about me because I always say at every turn how I love my PS2 much more then GameCube.

Strike one for Starman again on the sorry dis attempts

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

benb
Mar 17, 2003, 03:31 PM

Well you can't be talking about me because I always say at every turn how I love my PS2 much more then GameCube.
News to me.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by benb:
News to me.
Same here.

Who's takaing a day off to play Zelda??

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 03:51 PM

Same here.

Who's takaing a day off to play Zelda??

Mike
I am taking the day off to play Zelda, cuz I love Zelda.

News to you... well here are just a few threads that I started saying how I like my PS2 better. There are many more though..

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...&highlight=ps2

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 04:23 PM

I am taking the day off to play Zelda, cuz I love Zelda.

News to you... well here are just a few threads that I started saying how I like my PS2 better. There are many more though..

I wonder what other tricks I can get him to do. I already got him to fetch .

Mike

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 04:39 PM

I wonder what other tricks I can get him to do. I already got him to fetch .

Mike
Funny, I was wondering how you were going to avoid the topic like you always do

Plus you have proven once again how obsessive you are with me. Don't let your wife know

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

faragbre967  (op)
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
In my opinion, the AI in Halo is so-so. I find AI in Unreal 2 far more intelligent.
How? Unreal 2's AI isn't really that good. I didn't really play it for long, maybe 3 hours, but from what I saw, the enemies mostly just ran in circles and shot at me. In Halo, the elites hide, sneak up on you, wait for their shields to go up before leaving an area and attack you when your shields are down.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 09:35 PM

And the rest of us are just waiting for the damn Mac version
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 09:38 PM

halo?

been there. done that.

show me a new game
snappy

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
halo?

been there. done that.

show me a new game
Well part 2 isn't coming out this year so I wonder what is going to sell Xbox till then.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2003, 02:18 AM

Tao Feng

Forum Links
Forum Rules