Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Unidirectional LAN

Unidirectional LAN
sjurhs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 07:37 PM

The problem:
I am trying to set up a home LAN using a Beige G3 and a PowerBook 1400.
With my current setup the Beige does not "see" the 1400 harddrive.
The 1400 is able to "see" all drives on the Beige.
Filesharing works only in one direction for file sharing.
I am able to move files from the Beige to the 1400.
Since the Beige drives are mounted on the 1400 desktop I can transfer files by putting anything I want into a Beige hard drive. To move a file from the 1400 to the Beige I first have to put it into one of the Beige hard drives.
The internet and e-mail works fine for both computers.

The hardware:
A Beige G3 running OS9.2.2 at 500MHz connected by Ethernet to a D-Link wireless router (DI-714).
There is a D-Link cable modem (DCM-200) connected to the router.
A PowerBook 1400 G3 running OS8.6 at 333MHz with an Avaya wireless PCMCIA network card is wirelessly connected to the router.
The Beige G3 is wire connected to the router via Ethernet.
The router address is 192.168.0.1.
IP addresses are: 192.168.0.100 for the Beige and 192.168.0.101 for the 1400.

The software:
Network software for the PowerBook is Orinoco 7.2.
File Sharing: Beige-9.0.2, 1400-8.0
Users and Groups: Beige-n/a, 1400-8.0
AppleShare: Beige-3.9.2, 1400-3.8.3
File Sharing Extension: Beige-7.6.7, 1400-7.6.2
File Sharing Library: Beige-9.0.2, 1400-8.0.1

The setup:
File Sharing is turned on on both computers.
Program linking is off on both computers.
All drives on both computers are shared. Assigned all privileges, too.
Network Identity: Owner name and password is the same on both computers. Computer names are different. IP address is 192.168.0.100 on the Beige and is 192.168.0.101 0n the 1400.
Users and Groups setup is the same for both computers.
TCP/IP is connected via the Orinoco (the PCMCIA wireless network card) on the 1400 and via the ethernet on the beige. Both are set to use the DHCP server and the router address is the same, 192.168.0.1
AppleTalk is set to Orinoco (the PCMCIA wireless network card) on the 1400 and to the Printer Port on the Beige.
If I could figure out how to put screenshots in this reply, the above might be a little clearer.

Can some Mac networking expert please tell me what I am missing. I mean besides my mind and brain for even trying something like this with these older Macs. I just love to get as much performance out of them as I can.

HHHHeeeelllllllllpppp
In a world without walls and fences, who
needs Windows and Gates.

Stephen

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2005, 01:51 AM

It's probably the DLink router refusing to bridge AppleTalk. I had a similar issue with a Linksys.

Mac OS 8.6 file sharing server software only runs the older AppleTalk over Ethernet protocol. (the 8.6 file sharing client software runs Apple filing protocol over TCP IP.) All routers will bridge TCP IP between the wired and wireless ports. But many brands don't bridge AppleTalk (my Linksys bridges AppleTalk over the wired ports, but not over the wireless ports.)

So, you can't access and OS 8.6 server through many wireless connection. (However 8.6 can access an OS 9 server that way.)

An Apple Airport Base Station will bridge AppleTalk. I'm told Asante, Belkin & SMC WiFi routers to as well.

John Strung
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 10:46 AM

I am surprised you can get file sharing to work at all with that setup since my understanding was that the DL614 did not support AppleTalk wirelessly.

See: http://www.macintouch.com/wirelesslanreader13.html

Upgrading the PB to OS 9 and checking the box in the filesharing control panels of both computers to allow file sharing by TCP/IP will likely solve your problem. You will then have to access the other computer by typing the IP address in the chooser, rather than selecting the name of the computer.

You will find file sharing by TCP/IP faster than AppleTalk.

If you don't want to upgrade the PB, there is a third party solution:

ShareWay IP

Forum Links
Forum Rules