Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 18)
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Question: Did Jobs or any of the other demos ever show the keyboard being used in landscape mode? I would think the keyboard could be a lot larger and more usable that way.
It seems that widescreen is only active for a couple of functions: CoverFlow for iPod mode, and widescreen in movie mode, Safari mode, and photo mode. Widescreen might not be available in email mode.

Regarding the keyboard: I think that Apple should change the layout of the keys. There's a lot of wasted space with 10 letters on the top row and only 7 on the bottom. Having 9 on each row would allow for slightly wider keys.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jan 13, 2007 at 01:35 PM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 01:08 PM

I'd like a widescreen video iPod with a camera and integrated speakers. And a click-wheel, not a touch-screen.

The speakers would be great for showing funny little clips to people. Hey Martha, watch this rabbit chasing a snake!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by WSKCONDOR View Post
If iPhone is GSM, does it contain a SIM card? I mean, is it just "locked" and contracted with Cingular, and could you unlock it like other phones? I don't know that much about Cingular, so I don't know if it is that way, but I have T-Mobile now, and I really like the ability to put my sim card in either my Treo 650 or my RazR or my Nokia.
Does anyone know if the iPhone is a SIM card phone?
Yes, being an GSM phone, the iPhone has a SIM card.
Yes, it is also locked to Cingular. It won't work with a SIM for any other provider.
With most locked phones, there is a way to unlock them, usually by typing in a special code. I doubt the iPhone will support that.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 13, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
With most locked phones, there is a way to unlock them, usually by typing in a special code. I doubt the iPhone will support that.
In the Netherlands an provider has to unlock your locked phone for free after one year when asked so I doubt your doubt.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 02:00 PM

A question that I'm sure no one can answer, but that I'll ask anyway for the sake of discussion. Does the Phone app always start in Favorites? Or perhaps in Voicemail? Or does it do something vaguely intelligent like to to Voicemail if you have a voicemail, but go to the last screen used if not? I'm just curious as someone previously mentioned how many clicks it would take to get to a voicemail: 1) Phone, 2) Voicemail, 3) click on the voicemail. Seems easy and quick to. Certainly faster than waiting for the phone to dial and enter in a passcode. Three clicks to make a phone call? If it automatically went to favorites, then it would usually be just two. Unless you were in the iPod or surfing the web, then you have to start with the Home button. Seems easy and quick to me. A treo requires you to go to the Phone app as well.

kman

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
No, I think it would take up most of the screen in landscape. Just look at smartphones with slide-out keyboards and how large those are.
Here's what the keypad would look like in landscape, with the same height as in portrait. I just stretched it out to cover the whole width. It doesn't leave much room for anything else, but look how much bigger the keypad is. Might be useful if you have lots of typing to do, and pudgy fingers.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Why? This thread is for speculations about how the iPhone will bear on the next iPod. iPod. iPod. iPod. Why should it go in the iPhone thread?

Do you just love the sound of your own keystrokes? Is that it?

Over-zealous moderation just pooh-poohs the casual vibe. Take a chill pill man.
wow, calm down.

everyone seems to agree with me (democracy++) so I'll go ahead and make you post in the iPhone thread(s).
we don't have time to stop for gas

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 02:25 PM

How do you hide the keyboard when you're done ?

-t

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
How do you hide the keyboard when you're done ?

-t
Oh yeah, it needs the send/cancel strip along the top too. Still, I bet they could make it work. It looks like they could shrink it a bit down - most of the problem is from how close the keys are horizontally rather than vertically.

WSKCONDOR
Jan 13, 2007, 02:41 PM

Yes, being an GSM phone, the iPhone has a SIM card.
Yes, it is also locked to Cingular. It won't work with a SIM for any other provider.
Thanks. I THOUGHT "GMS" meant SIM card kind of by definition, but I wasn't sure. But that makes sense because it seems with any "agreement" betwen phone makers and cell providers, there is just a time lag between locked phones and freeing them up or offering more expensive unlocked phones, in order to increase market availability. If it were a hardware difference it seems it would be more expensive to Apple than simply locking the phone like everyone else (GSM) who has an "exclusive" provider agreement.

I don't know if this means I will wait to see WHEN they open it up, or if I will just bite and accept Cingular with a year contract. They do not have as good or as inexpensive service as T-Mobile where I am. I also assume that when I roam internationally, I will have to look into Cingular's prowess in that field. T-Mobile roams in a LOT of places internationally (another thing I like).

I really like the SIM card access on my Treo 650 -no battery opening, etc. But I assume iPhone's SIM is hidden away somewhere-I didn't see it anywhere yet.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
In the Netherlands an provider has to unlock your locked phone for free after one year when asked so I doubt your doubt.
Which may be relevant when the iPhone is available in Europe (about a year from now) and if it's sold in the Netherlands.

Originally Posted by WSKCONDOR View Post
I don't know if this means I will wait to see WHEN they open it up, or if I will just bite and accept Cingular with a year contract.
Two year contract.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 03:45 PM

Anybody else remember IBM's shot at an "iPhone" back when the Newton first came out?

Simon:

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 04:34 PM

iPhone's processor revealed...

It's running on a Samsung ARM processor, which is what newer PocketPCs that run Windows Mobile 2003 and 5.0 run. Accdg to the article, ARM processors can't run the BSD kernel that OS X is based on, which means that there's no way the iPhone is actually running OS X.

Which again presents the question: what OS is this thing actually running?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Accdg to the article, ARM processors can't run the BSD kernel that OS X is based on, which means that there's no way the iPhone is actually running OS X.

That's quite curious. You would think that they found a way to port a lot of the underlying UNIX functionality. I'm sure Apple found a way to port it so they didn't have to start from scratch with the iPhone OS.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Anybody else remember IBM's shot at an "iPhone" back when the Newton first came out?

Simon:

Glad I never seen it before. And I never want to see it again.

-t

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 04:59 PM

It's running on a Samsung ARM processor, which is what newer PocketPCs that run Windows Mobile 2003 and 5.0 run. Accdg to the article, ARM processors can't run the BSD kernel that OS X is based on, which means that there's no way the iPhone is actually running OS X.

Why wouldn't OSX run on an ARM ? Isn't it just a question of compiling and optimizing for it ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 05:12 PM

The Newton ran on ARM also didn't it?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 05:17 PM

I dunno, but I'm not surprised. Intel chips are not optimized for handheld devices.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2007, 05:21 PM

ARM9 has an MMU, so FreeBSD (and some other BSDs) will run on it. But OSX is not based on the BSD kernel, it's based on the Mach kernel; Mac OSX uses parts of the FreeBSD userland.
We've known since the keynote that the iPhone isn't really running the desktop Mac OSX. I'm guessing it's running a cut down version: a similar kernel with a limited number of frameworks (and even those may be incomplete compared to their desktop siblings).
The iPhone OSX is to Mac OSX as Windows Mobile is to Windows Vista; they're both OSX, but they're very different.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 05:38 PM

That guy has no f'n clue what he's talking about.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 05:42 PM

ARM9 has an MMU, so FreeBSD (and some other BSDs) will run on it. But OSX is not based on the BSD kernel, it's based on the Mach kernel; Mac OSX uses parts of the FreeBSD userland.
We've known since the keynote that the iPhone isn't really running the desktop Mac OSX. I'm guessing it's running a cut down version: a similar kernel with a limited number of frameworks (and even those may be incomplete compared to their desktop siblings).
The iPhone OSX is to Mac OSX as Windows Mobile is to Windows Vista; they're both OSX, but they're very different.
Definitely likely. Although, if this is the case, I wonder why Apple didn't specify that in the details of the iPhone. When you buy a PocketPC, it doesn't say "Runs Windows" or "Runs Windows XP". It says "Runs Windows Mobile 2003" or whatever. Apple has clearly said that the iPhone "Runs OS X". This is, even at its most basic assumption, untrue. The OS on the iPhone may have some of the same internal structure as OS X, but as it almost definitely cannot run apps that work with OS X (if it can't run third-party apps, it's most certainly not that similar to OS X)...I'm just surprised that Apple didn't specify that. They don't sell their Xserv servers as running OS X; they say they're running OS X Server. Why not have the same descriptor on the "OS X" that is on the iPhone?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 05:45 PM

OS X is not Windows. There are like 18 different versions of Windows. Apple doesn't do that sh!t. It's all OS X. Simple as that.

-t

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 13, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
On that note, I don't see why Apple couldn't easily implement a way to create Aliases of things and set them as custom buttons on the Home screen. That way, you could create an alias of Voicemail, then its just one button and "boom" you're there.

Of course that could get ugly, with aliases all over the place. But maybe they can limit it somehow so people don't make a mess of their UI's.
My guess - and this is obviously just a guess - is that the home screen can be modified with your favorites similar to how an iPod's menu can be modified depending on your personal tastes. Otherwise, why would SMS be there?
I hope this is the case, and it would be a reasonable solution. I just hope they don't do what Sony Ericsson has done in the past. That is, mark something as a sort cut, then add a "Short Cuts" menu to the home screen that you have to click on to see the list. That would defeat the purpose.

As for service cost, I'm not looking forward to switching to Cingular (but I will switch). I currently get a loyalty plan from T-Mobile that's $39.99/moth for 800 minutes, unlimited N/W, plus their unlimited T-Zones add on for $5.99 (which has a workaround to allow full port 80 access which T-Mobile has acknowledged but doesn't provide support for). Cingular doesn't even come close to that.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 06:15 PM

I dunno, but I'm not surprised. Intel chips are not optimized for handheld devices.

-t
Huh? The Blackberry Pearls are Intel XScale processor and they fly.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 06:18 PM

O Rly ? Well then. I read somewhere that the power management for Intel chips is not good for handhelds. But if it works for Blackberry, why not.

-t

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 06:21 PM

XScale processors are ARM processors and Intel sold the division.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Ha, there ya go.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Intel only sold the PXA line; they still have the other three.

I don't think there was ever a credible source for the "iPhone uses an Intel processor" rumor; Intel doesn't make any processors suited for PDAs and smartphones.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 07:11 PM

OS X is not Windows. There are like 18 different versions of Windows. Apple doesn't do that sh!t. It's all OS X. Simple as that.

-t
Wouldn't you agree, though, that a heavily modified "OS X" for an iPhone and an entirely different processor architecture isn't synonymous with the OS X installed on your own Apple computer(s)?

All I was getting at was that I was surprised that Apple was not differentiating between the obviously different OS X and the iPhone's OS.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 08:52 PM

Just give up already, shif.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 09:07 PM

Wouldn't you agree, though, that a heavily modified "OS X" for an iPhone and an entirely different processor architecture isn't synonymous with the OS X installed on your own Apple computer(s)?

All I was getting at was that I was surprised that Apple was not differentiating between the obviously different OS X and the iPhone's OS.

The difference here involves the basic design principles of Windows vs. Unix. Windows is a series of proprietary parts that are tied to other Microsoft parts, and are not really open-ended in their usage.

Unix, at its lowest level, is a series of very small and modular open components that interact with one another. A Unix OS is essentially the sum of a ton of very small, simple programs that were designed to be very open-ended in their usage.

OS X is sort of a hybrid of these two approaches. At its lowest level is a Unix based OS resembling FreeBSD, with a bunch of proprietary Apple stuff that resides on top of this layer: Quicktime, Core Animation, etc.

I suspect that Apple's programmers are deeply entrenched in not only Unix, but the Unix culture and its programming practices (which are the best the world knows). If this were true, all of the components that comprise the iPhone OS would be modular and portable. It ought to be pretty easy to transplant the OS X components to the iPhone or any other device, especially if the hardware was identical.

So while the iPhone may or may not be the gestalt OS X, it is still highly likely a subset of OS X, and similar or identical to OS X in its basic design.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 09:10 PM

i don't think it will ever happen from steve...not his style...it's all one osx is all the consumer needs to know

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 09:13 PM

I dunno.

Microsoft is calling it differently, but nobody can understand and track all the differences between all the windows versions. And with Windows Mobile, you can not run just any Windows app either. So from the consumer side, just calling it different does not necessarily make it more clear.

-t

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 09:42 PM

Greg Joswiak says it is really an optimized version of OSX running in flash memory. Now obviously, there are going to be some missing components. I'm guessing things like open/save dialogs, certain interface elements, etc. But the core technologies will be there. There are also probably lots of things available just on the iPhone, like those nifty little buttons at the bottom of the screen, the onscreen keyboard, etc.

kman

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2007, 10:21 PM

XScale != x86 or Pentium.

XScale is a RISC ARM processor.

XScale is no longer owned by Intel.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 11:26 PM

Here's what the keypad would look like in landscape, with the same height as in portrait. I just stretched it out to cover the whole width. It doesn't leave much room for anything else, but look how much bigger the keypad is. Might be useful if you have lots of typing to do, and pudgy fingers.

I wonder if the phone is powerful enough to allow for speech-to-text input? Also, what about Inkwell? Maybe Jobs didn't mention the possibility of using Inkwell to prevent association of the iPhone with the defunct Newton?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I wonder if the phone is powerful enough to allow for speech-to-text input? Also, what about Inkwell? Maybe Jobs didn't mention the possibility of using Inkwell to prevent association of the iPhone with the defunct Newton?
The way Steve mocked the use of a stylus, I doubt they will incorporate inkwell, which requires just that.

-t

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 12:45 AM

Does anyone know if it might be possible to stream music through an Airport Express via Wifi from an iPhone through Airtunes? I assume its a pretty simple thing to implement, unless that sort of thing requires something like an Airport card. I think that would be a really cool feature if it were possible. I would love to be able play music from my iPhone through the speakers of my home stereo, and be able to do so at my dad's place whenever I visit.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Does anyone know if it might be possible to stream music through an Airport Express via Wifi from an iPhone through Airtunes?
Huh ?

You mean iPhone --> Airport Express ?
I dunno, but I don't really see the point of it. Why not stream it from your Mac ?

What I would like to see is some option to use the iPhone as a remote for your Mac, kind of like Salling Clicker. Now THAT would be great !

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 01:31 AM

Yeah, a bazillion years ago. 28 MIPS at 33 MHz.

The current ARM chips are something like 30 times faster.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yeah, a bazillion years ago. 28 MIPS at 33 MHz.

The current ARM chips are something like 30 times faster.
29 of that is used up by eye candy

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 01:45 AM

How fast is that specific iPhone ARM CPU anyway?

Something like a toilet seat iBook?

I note that the G3 PowerPC 750CX 366 MHz is around 850 MIPS.

The iPhone will fly in OS 9!!!

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 02:59 AM

Japan has similar products, but iPhone in many aspects is much more radical concept: witness
Sharp Willcom (descendant of well known Sharp PDA family Zaurus)
W-ZERO3/WS003SH, with which Japanese bloggers are comparing the iPhone.

It has various modifications and prices, ranging from 400-550 US$, requiring additional contracts and dataplans.

Specs: (babelfish translation of https://store.willcom-inc.com/ec/fac...cmdprdw000348/)

# size: 70mm×130mm×26mm#
liquid crystal type: ASV (65,536 colors)
# liquid crystal size: 3.7 inch
# liquid crystal resolution: 640×480#
mass: Approximately 220g#
continual telephone call time: Approximately, 5 hour #
standby time: Approximately 200 hour
# telephone directory number of cases: In memory capacity dependence (concerning 1 case the telephone number ×8, the mail address ×3)

# corresponding communication method: 4x packet /2x packet /1x packet/flex change /64kPIAFS#
mail : supported, sometimes requires additional dataplan
browser: Internet Explorer Mobile (Opera Mobile downloadable)
# camera: Approximately 1.33 million pixel CMOS#
earphone microphone terminals: 0 (flat type)
# handsfree telephone calls: no (I think, means no Bluetooth. At least BT cannot found anywhere in specs)
# OS:Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0
# CPU: The Intel PXA270 (416MHz)
# memory: Flash 128MB/SDRAM 64MB
# wifi LAN: (IEEE802.11b)
# miniSD slot: YES
# JAVA, Flash support YES :
# remote locks: ×

Since it is WM5, supports Word,Excel, Outlook. Viewing of Powerpoint and PDFs. Media player is WMP.

Now you can see that Sharp Willcom retains a number of buttons on its face panel and sliding keyboard, both which make the device much bulkier, larger and thicker than iPhone. It is much heavier as well.

It has also lower resolution camera (1.3 mln pix againts 2 million in iPhone). In some regards, it looks like a usual smartphone. iPhone gets rid of any buttons and keyboard, and fully moves to truly touchscreen input type. It is also very thin and light.

The Macworld speech was attended by Mr. M.Son, president of Softbank and one of largest tele and internet communication corporations of Japan, co owner of Yahoo Japan. Softbank is rumored to launch iPhone in Japan when it will be modified to include 3G. Say about lack of interest!

Mr. Son listening to Jobs presentation in ITmedia +D LifeStyle�F�ʐ^�ʼn����uiPhone�v (due to copyright reasons, the photo cannot be directly linked; however, scroll down the page and you will see picture of Mr. Son at Macworld Keynote)

Interestingly, the Japanese reporters say that Apple staff mentioned Adobe Photoshop Elements as one of possible software additions to iPhone, though Office support was not decided yet.

3G support in nearest future seems to be already decided and modifications for Japan market are very much possible. Apple has stressed in the interview, that Japan is one of most important markets for iPhone

Apple staff also mentioned that strict control over application support was required to give the users virus-free seamless communication experience

ITmedia +D LifeStyle�FApple TV�A������iPhone�\�\�ăA�b� �v�������C���^�r���[ (2/2)

Mr.Son has been linked to Apple few times: this is May 2006 report in Appleinsider released long before launch of iPhone:

AI Report: Softbank and Apple to co-develop iPod phones

By Kasper Jade
Softbank Corp. and Apple Computer Inc. plan to jointly develop cellular phone handsets that have built-in iPod digital music players and can download songs directly from Apple's iTunes Music Store, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun is reporting.

According to the report, Softbank President Masayoshi Son and Apple chief executive Steve Jobs have already met and reached a basic agreement on the cell phone partnership. The two companies will reportedly first develop a 3G cell phone model that incorporate functions reminiscent of Apple's popular iPod, eliminating the need for consumers to carry two separate devices.

"These handsets are to be released in Japan sometime this year at the earliest," the report states.

Softbank, which became a cell phone service provider by acquiring the Japanese unit of British mobile phone company Vodafone Group Plc, was reportedly chosen by Apple because the overseas company plans to offer high-speed Internet access for cell phones in Japan.

Apple plans to later introduce similar media-enabled cell phones in the United States, the report adds. Details such as the fee for downloading songs is said to be up for discussion amongst the two companies at a later date.

MacNN report: BW: Softbank-Apple deal makes sense

Although Softbank called the report on its recent partnership with Apple "speculative," the company didn't deny that a music-playing cell phone was in its plans, according to a new report. BusinessWeek explores the background of Softbank, which has a significant stake in Yahoo, and the possibilities co-marketing the industry's first Apple-branded iPhone or iPod-based cell pohne. "Teaming up with Apple lets Softbank piggyback on the iPod's hip image -- something that Vodafone never got right with its bulky, dull handsets and constantly changing brand. And if the companies can get the first of the iPod phones in stores by November, they will have a good chance to convert some iPod users to Softbank's cellular service when new rules let consumers in Japan switch carriers while keeping the same phone number. The key will be for Softbank to 'banish memories of Vodafone's inferior brand image'....

In this case, Softbank will become the main carrier and will subsidize iPhone cost in Japan. Moreover, the report mention downloading of music from iTunes Store by the phone, something not planned in US. However, in Japan this form of music purchasing is more prevalent so it makes sense as well. Softbank has distanced themselves from the links but it seems that the initial information was correct. However, in development of iPhone Apple does not need much support from Softbank, which is primarily telecommunication company, rather than a hardware R&D corporation. However, Softbank has a huge presence in Japan's retail system through its newly launched mobile network, a network of Sofmap computer stores and Yahoo online shopping site, which is largest auction site in Japan and has beaten crap out of eBay Japan, making that withdraw few years ago.

All in all, iPhone fares very well compared to similar products in terms of design, weight, communication capabilities. OS X, seamless user experience, iPod integration with all its software easiness makes it truly multimedia device.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2007, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
XScale is no longer owned by Intel.
IIRC they only sold the PXA line to Marvell and kept the other 3 Xscale lines.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Are the next iPods going to be like the iPhone with out the communications apps.? Will they have wide touchscreens, photo "pinching", cameras, and all that? And have an iPod harddrive capacity? That would be awesome.
I'd expect so, in the future the iPods will probably become the iPhone -- or even, visa versa (given the strong brand name).
Everyone expects phones to be able to play songs -- so why not go the other way and expect all mp3 players to make phone calls?
=
iPhone family
we don't have time to stop for gas

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I'd expect so, in the future the iPods will probably become the iPhone -- or even, visa versa (given the strong brand name).
Everyone expects phones to be able to play songs -- so why not go the other way and expect all mp3 players to make phone calls?
=
iPhone family
Cost.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
=
iPhone family
I'd hope you wouldn't have to get into that swamp of cell phone plans and monthly charges and counting minutes to get an ipod. But what about something like this Palm LifeDrive? It's not a cell phone, but it has wifi for connecting to the internet, checking mail, etc. It would be much like a laptop with wifi - you can use it anywhere of course, but if you're in a wifi zone, you can use the internet too. But no frickin swampy cell phone.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 12:01 PM

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it.

OS X on the iPhone is about 0.5 GB.

Soo... I wonder what the firmware size is. 1 GB?

Joswiak claimed that the reduced size of the operating system was a result of expertise of the team at Apple, rather than cutting out functionality or removing core technologies. “Remember that OS X on a Mac features a lot of applications that we don’t have to ship on the iPhone,” he added.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
OS X on the iPhone is about 0.5 GB.

Soo... I wonder what the firmware size is. 1 GB?
If he said the OS takes about half a gig, then maybe the apps take another half gig? We won't know for sure until we get our hands on one. I would think that the OS and all of the apps reside in the same flash memory, either 4GB or 8GB depending upon the model.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 12:21 PM

So does that mean that the 4GB model has only 3GB free? Or is it possible that it's actually got 5GB of flash, with 1GB reserved for the system? I still think it's pretty unlikely for Apple to advertise the iPhone as having 4GB/8GB of storage if a significant portion of that can't actually be used for storage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules