Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > All reasons behind Leopard delay

All reasons behind Leopard delay
Hash
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 02:02 PM

I think that there are a few main reasons behind Leopard delay

1. Need to refine GUI in view of new visual look of Vista. OS X MUST have better GUI, do you remember Jobs bragging about Aqua? It shows they are paying a lot of attention to GUI. Now, the new GUI in this build looks cleaner, perhaps, but plain boring. It reminds me of Aaron and Copland in OS 9. I hope Apple will comes with something really better, real WOW. I have a feeling Jobs ordered additional work on Leopard GUI.

2. Need to differentiate between launch of iPhone, which is going to be huge, with launch of Leopard, which is going to be even more dramatic - a true answer to Vista. Better have them happen not simultaneously, cause human resources and marketing resources will be overwhelmed otherwise. Needs to concentrate on both events, thats why both events will not happen at same time. Support for iPhone will need a lot of additional resources and bring in a lot of new customers. Apple cannot afford to screw its customer support

3. Refining and preparing the top secret features of Leopard. IMHO, most difficult task. However, I am sure they have a number of secrets. New 3D Gui, universal PIM center, new iWork with amazing presentation effects, new spreadsheet app, new Finder, new iLife again utilizing amazing CoreVideo effects

4. I have a feeling Apple is preparing for overhaul of most hardware visually. Hint: black MacBooks. Again, huge task when done simultaneously. New MacBookPro, glossy black, new black MacPro, new black iMacs, new mac minis, cheaper. New headless xMac. New MacBook mini.

Going to be amazing Spring and October

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2007, 02:26 PM

3D GUI? I sure hope not.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 02:38 PM

How about TimeMachine?

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 02:57 PM

From NAB

"We're just getting started. Going to turn my attention now to Motion 3 -- this year we're embracing 3D, extended all the familiar tools into cameras, light sources, navigation of 3D space... create the kind of graphics you want to create. We're adding paint. Particles, video, pictures, pen -- speed, pressure sensitivity -- and throw behaviors on the strokes to bring that paint to live. Something shockingly complicated in the past is now easy: match moving."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2007, 05:41 PM

Wow, Hash, I think you're dreaming.

1. I don't see many changes here; most Apple apps will have the new non-brushed interface, but there will probably be a few laggards (as there always are).
2. iPhone launch is a bigger deal than Leopard.
3. 3D? No.
4. No.

Originally Posted by Hash View Post
From NAB

"We're just getting started. Going to turn my attention now to Motion 3 -- this year we're embracing 3D, extended all the familiar tools into cameras, light sources, navigation of 3D space... create the kind of graphics you want to create. We're adding paint. Particles, video, pictures, pen -- speed, pressure sensitivity -- and throw behaviors on the strokes to bring that paint to live. Something shockingly complicated in the past is now easy: match moving."
Look what the "Year of the Laptop" and "Year of HD" did w/r/t advancing those two areas.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 15, 2007, 05:47 PM

maybe all the mac os x team are sitting around stoned smoking spliffs.
or, yes, as supposed, working on the gui.

perhaps there is some kind of super-top-secret stuff that we dont know about?

seeing as the title bars are darker, and brushed metal is gone, perhaps os x is moving to a 'new stage' in the gui.

confuzedwizard
Apr 15, 2007, 06:08 PM

brushed metal or plain grey. looks identical. who cares.

Forum Links
Forum Rules