Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > eco dvd won't eject

eco dvd won't eject
72jal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 03:37 PM

Without thinking I inserted one of the new eco DVDs into my 15" MBP. It plays beautifully. Unfortunately it won't eject - I think the reason for this is that the eco DVDs are half the thickness of a normal DVD. The drive tries to eject it a couple of times, gives up and then remounts it.

Is there anything I can do to retrieve it myself, or is this a job for a dealer?

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 03:53 PM

This is an issue with slot loading drives that apple has never really addressed. I would try a few things. First, let gravity help, point the drive down. Also, you may want to try completely upside down, it sometimes works. Be careful when picking up your computer while it is on, no jarring motions.

Second, if you can get it out just a bit, test your reflexes and grab it.

Finally, ya, take it in.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

72jal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 04:00 PM

Firstly thanks for such a speedy reply, and, secondly, thanks even more for advice which worked!

At the second attempt the DVD ejected cleanly while I held my MBP upside down. What a relief!

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 04:08 PM

I am glad to hear that. I don't know why, but it seems like to the levers that push the disc out sometime catch better if the drive is upside down. I leaned this trick with my G4 cude, and man was that a pain to flip.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2007, 04:33 PM

Super thin pliers maybe? You really can't put any non-standard discs into a slot loading drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules