Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The next i Application for digital hub

The next i Application for digital hub
Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2002, 10:34 AM

It seems to me that next iApplication and the complementary iAppliance for the digital hub is iNewton with the iWalk PDA

Pricey but a real killer

vanguard
Jan 13, 2002, 10:56 AM

You state it as if you know it's a fact. Do you?

Assuming you don't, I'll post my wish. I want a TV/Tivo like service that uses my mac to do it's job.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2002, 12:52 PM

Kid, go to some rumor mill and discuss it there.

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jan 13, 2002, 01:16 PM

Jobs has publicly stated no PDA, and no Mac/TV. I wish they would address TV and telephone, both. They seem hubworthy to me. Why wouldn't I want my answering machine built into my digital hub?

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jan 13, 2002, 01:21 PM

...on that note, a friend of mine was reminiscsing about his yo-yo- a caller-id device that puts up a dialog or whatever letting you know who is calling...

I think that device was a little ahead of it's time (those were the 7.5 days), but would be perfect now that Macs have bigger hard drives, and are stable (and quiet) enough to be left on indefinitely.

iCartman
Senior User
Jan 13, 2002, 01:47 PM

What digital applicance does a person need a PDA for?

A TV is the only applicance not addressed by Apple's digital hub.
respect mah athoritah!

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2002, 02:04 PM

TV can be a part of digital hub appliances: recording programs on hard disk or DVD-R, etc, programming it so on.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2002, 05:54 PM

What about a good iApp to handle scanners?

BTP
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2002, 11:24 PM

Personally I would imagine a good communication device or application. I would vote for a Mac VoIP app that is on par with the quality of iTunes.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

nomorewindows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2002, 12:27 AM

Other than mp3 players, dv cameras, and digital cameras, the
next thing I can think of most people have and use is cell phone.
Could it be iPhone which manage your phone numbers and calendar
on your phone? The problem is that none of the cell phone has
firewire or usb such connection. Maybe iVideo or something which
allows you to download video content to the device and watch
it anywhere. Sort of like those portable TVs.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 04:09 AM

Here's what I'd like to see:

iRecorder - TV listings for your region/cable company/sattelite provider. Automatically records your favorite television programs. Networks your mac to your television set via FireWire or AirPort. Options to transfer to video tape, DVD-R, and DVD-RW for permanent archiving.

iPhone - Telephone and answering machine/voice mail management software. Shows who called and when. Messages can be saved in MP3 format. If someone calls while you are using the Internet, a dialog box will pop up and ask you if you want to take the call. Can be used as a speakerphone with a microphone.

iSync - Calender, address book, email, notes, tasks in one app. Synchronizes with Palm OS, Pocket PC/Handheld PC/other Windows CE devices, Psion, and the most popular mobile phones. Offers conduits (like Palm Desktop) so other apps (like Microsoft Office) can also sync between computer and PDA and/or phone.

iFax - Fax software. Mac fax software - especially for Mac OS X - sucks. iFax would give everyone easy, yet powerful, faxing capabilities. Additionally, this software should offer fax-over-Internet.

Anyone from Apple (or anyone else) paying attention?

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Jan 14, 2002, 05:11 AM

Does Apple really hold an iPhone trademark or was it a joke?

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 05:55 AM

iPotato,

allows any potato or tuba class vegetable to connect to the mac via USB or firewire, Apple will happily convert it into any number of potato derived snacks such as chips or fries for a small fee and send them to you in a weeks time. You can also organise your favorite vegetables, listing them by colour, taste and shape and share them with your friends via the upcoming iVeg.

And what are we charging for this you may ask? it's absolutely free and available to download today!

check out www.apple.com/iPotato
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 05:57 AM

According to the US Patent and Trademark Office, Infogear Technology Corporation has the "IPHONE" trademark, not Apple.

My names were simply suggestions. Now that I've posted them here, an Apple lawyer may have to get my permission to use them.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 07:39 AM

Was discussing this earlier:

(oh how we shameless;ly plu our own topics )

Anyway, to complete the hub as it stands we still need two apps:

One to organise Movies - a movie "digital shoebox". Hard disks will soon be big enough. For instance I have just been given 4 cds with Southpark on them. A lot of people are collecting Movies like mp3s. Maybe not full screen DVD quality (yet). But how long before it is?

Two - some way to create a digital recording before it is mp3'd. This used to be a standard feature of all macs. What happened to it? We lost the phono jack input and with it the ability to record. Most PCs have it (and some basic software) with their soundcards. I would like a simple iMusic program that can digitally record (preferabbly in multi - say8? track), add a few basic effects in realtime and cleanup and filter a bit before mp3ing. This would allow my mac to be the place where I plug my guitar and my headphones. For the amatuer movie maker this would allow custom soundtracks/voice-overs rather than just cheesy scrolling titles.

Oh, and I'd guess we'd need a USB (or firewire) sound input box. Although, this should be replaced by a phono in at the back in my opinion as everything else the amateur needs can be acheived in software.

Why should photographers and (silent) movie makers get all the fun? What about us wannabe musicians..

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by Elvin:
<STRONG>What about a good iApp to handle scanners?</STRONG>
Surely that will be part of iPhoto. It does the other end (inkjets) so I'm sure scanners are on the way.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 04:54 PM

I still belive in iChat

something like fire.app now, but than way more features, way more stable, etc. etc.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2002, 08:05 PM

Of those mentioned so far, the one I'd like to see most would be iPhone (although if someone else owns the name already, it might have to be iCall, or something?). Anyway, I really miss the old ApplePhone which used to be free with System 7. It was a great voice mail application - maybe not the most powerful, but wow, it was easy to use and looked good. And it did work well. If Apple could come up with something like this again, it would be great if it included standard phone connectivity, faxing, and IP phoning.

I'd also love to have some sort of audio editting application.

But the one that really caught my fancy was the iPotato! That is way cool... I want it!

davecom
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Elvin:
<STRONG>What about a good iApp to handle scanners?</STRONG>
Obviously, iPhoto should do this. Also I concur about the iPhone thing. It's the logical next step if Apple isn't getting into TV or PDAs.

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 09:36 PM

www.iphone.org

(This is really old news though...)
���

Forum Links
Forum Rules