Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is this possible?

Is this possible?
Hash
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2002, 05:00 PM

I use frequently USB file transfer between my Vaio notebook and my powermac, which is quite simple, fast and so on (the app is MacUSB data bridge, if someone wants to know). I dont have to deal with all that file sharing through networking, routing, etc. (in OS9)

With transfer rates of USB 10 mbs<, I am quite satisfied with the speed of transfer of small files like 20-100 mB. But i want to know if someone tried Firewire file transfer between mac and windows, cause my Vaio has iLink (Sony's name for Firewire) and, of course, my mac too. Since two macs can be linked through Firewire, restarting one with F key in OSX, is something like that possible with a mac in OSX and PC with Firewire card? Say, using 6-6 Firewire cable?

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: Hash ]

mattcunnane
Apr 7, 2002, 09:56 PM

Since two macs can be linked through Firewire, restarting one with F key in OSX, is something like that possible with a mac in OSX and PC with Firewire card? Say, using 6-6 Firewire cable?
I'm just guessing, but perhaps when you boot your mac with the F key held down it pretends to be a firewire hard disk. If so, your PC may be tricked into mounting it. Note: It just occurred to me that this assumes that your PC can understand HFS+ (or whatever format your hard disk is).

Disclaimer: I know very little about firewire and haven't tried this! Do so at you own risk. I accept NO responsiblilty for lost data and/or damaged equipment.

Matt

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: mattcunnane ]

Scrod
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2002, 10:18 PM

It'd be the T key for Target disk mode. And yes, his PC would have to understand the HFS+ file system, so he'd need a program like MacDrive in order to mount it.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2002, 12:28 AM

The viao I used to have at work allowed the use of the iLink port as a network adapter, and I've heard talk of IP over FW before. Has apple implemented this in any way?

I don't know that this help you, but I'm curious.

Paco

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 07:05 AM

Yeah, I am curious too, seems to be possible but?

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 07:11 AM

But if you're going to deal with IP then you might as well just use ethernet, unless of course this is one of the many PCs that don't come with an ethernet card, one of the most essential computer components, standard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules