Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Split Screen: working on two apps simultaneously

Split Screen: working on two apps simultaneously
Snikkers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2009, 01:39 PM

...how do I do this with my imac?

Thank you.

ibook_steve
Dec 31, 2009, 02:01 PM

What apps and what do you want to do? Just resize the windows so each takes up half the screen. Am I missing something here?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Snikkers  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2009, 02:23 PM

Thank you, Steve, and. no, you're probably not missing anything. I struggle with the inanest of things. I want to use Photoshop and Dreamweaver in a back and forth manner and while I can resize the live portion of the app, i.e. the window currently open in either app, I cannot resize the menu/toolbars and, thus, the apps themselves. The current working window has the red, yellow and green sizing buttons, the menu/toolbars don't. I work in PS for a while and then head over to the live window in DW and PS gets minimized to the dock and vice versa.

I wondered if there was a keyboard shortcut that would instantly split the screen for me.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2009, 08:55 PM

The Mac solutions to the issues of window management are Exposé and Spaces.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2009, 09:40 PM

Snikkers,

If you are used to the Windows paradigm (multiple menu bars), then you have to re-learn things on a Mac. The menu bar will always be on top, and always only for the front application. You can not move the menu bar around.

This might sound odd at first, but there is really no use of two simultaneous menu bars. You can always only work with one at a time anyways. You just need to get used to the fact that the menu bar changes depending on what windows you activate.

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2010, 05:47 PM

If you use apps with palettes and toolbars (like PS and DW) simultaneously, you might really benefit from a dual-display setup. That way, you can keep one app on each monitor and be able to see both at the same time.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 1, 2010, 10:45 PM

You can use the keyboard shortcut Command Tab to quickly go back and forth between applications but if you don't want the other applications in the background in your way then you really should use Spaces. You can go back and forth really quick with Spaces also and you don't have to minimize anything to keep applications from cluttering your desktop.

If you want to see both applications simultaneous then do either what ibook_steve said or get an external monitor and have each application on their own screen. I think the menu bar will always be on the main screen though but if you use the floating menu tool boxes more often than the menu bar then it shouldn't be too much of a problem because you can move the tool boxes.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Snikkers View Post
I wondered if there was a keyboard shortcut that would instantly split the screen for me.
Cinch, Windows7-like window management for OS X.

Irradiated Software - Cinch

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 2, 2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Cinch, Windows7-like window management for OS X.

Irradiated Software - Cinch
That's a pretty interesting feature but what I don't like about split screen is that it does reduce the size of each application. It's not much of an issue with things like Finder windows and it does make it convenient to drag and drop within Finder but with applications like Photoshop, etc I prefer full screen to work on the fine details. This means Spaces is a better option for people like me.

It's good to know that an app for slit screen does exist for Mac so I'm sure other people will appreciate the link. Maybe Snikkers might like it but I know for me it wouldn't work to well.

Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2010, 06:20 PM

Spaces, assign Photoshop to one, Dreamweaver to the other, open both and option-arrow back and forth.

Forum Links
Forum Rules