Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Browser trouble

Browser trouble
macinpink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2010, 07:52 AM

Hi! I was just going through some of the settings for my Google account and I came across Google Web History….I was shocked to see that all the searches I had made since I set up my Google account were all there (including some searches I’m not too proud of! ). Anyways, I’ve disabled Google web history for my account. I shudder to think that Google must also be preserving all my history of surfing on Chrome browser…I guess I’ll switch to IE 8.

ibook_steve
Jan 14, 2010, 05:44 PM

You realize there is no IE for Mac, right?

Spam?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Curiosity
Senior User
Jan 15, 2010, 01:31 AM

Why not use Firefox? It gives you fine control over cookies, and is very configurable in other ways as well.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 15, 2010, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Spam?
I was thinking that too but in case it's not...

Most browsers have the save history function on as default and most of them will allow you to easily delete them manually so you can't really blame Chrome. As Curiosity said Firefox is nice about letting you have more control over your cookies and history. You can set Firefox to delete everything automatically upon closing itself.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 09:19 AM

Yes but in this case because he's logged into his google account, google is saving his search history on THEIR servers, independent of his browsers settings.

In order to stop google checking up on your searches you must make sure you remain logged out of any google accounts you have and/or you have disabled web history in your google account settings.

As to the history that google all ready has on you, sorry but they'll be keeping that info. Probably forever.

As storage, search etc becomes more and more all pervading I'm sure we will reach the stage where in 15 or 20 years time people will get letters saying "Dear xxxx, we see from our search of your public web and iP address history that 20 years ago you downloaded the following films in breach of copyright. Please insert your identcard into your home reader to pay your £450,000 fine".

It's just inevitable.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 04:21 PM

google web history, which is what the original poster is talking about (found in your settings of your google account), is kept if you use/install the google toolbar into your browser (IE, Firefox, etc)...or if, you guessed it, use google's browser Chrome. duh, of course they are keeping track of your history, you are using their software.

dedalus
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2010, 07:27 PM

Or, to be really blunt:

EVERY PIECE OF INFORMATION YOU ENTER INTO ANY FORM FIELD ON ANY SITE RUN BY GOOGLE WILL BE STORED FOREVER AS A COPY ON ONE OF THEIR SERVERS. FOREVER. EVERYTHING YOU DO, IF YOU DO IT THROUGH GOOGLE, THEY KNOW ABOUT IT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules