Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Smoke/CO detector

Smoke/CO detector
SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2011, 10:15 PM

My CO alarm went off a few days ago and I'm looking to replace it and my smoke detector which beeps randomly even after the battery has been changed.

Does anyone have any recommendations with regard to combination units (do the even make them?), units with digital displays, or anything else?

Ideally, I'd like a CO monitor with a digital display that uses AA batteries (I don't like 9V batteries and I never have them around). Other than a speaking feature I don't know what separates the good units from the better units, but there seem to be hundreds of models. I also heard (on the Security Now podcast) about a unit that you can silence with any remote control, but that isn't really necessary.

So . . . any models to look out for or avoid? Any stories? Am I over-analyzing what should be a 5 minute trip to Home Depot?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 23, 2011, 10:59 PM

For the smoke side, buy one with a photoelectric sensor. The ionization smoke sensors cost less, but they are prone to false alarms. Burning food on the stove, heavy smokers, even steam from a shower will set them off.

I installed a First Alert SCO7CN in a friend's house, which has all the features you mention except no digital readout. $39 from Lowes, AA batteries. Note: the included ones are likely to be weak from sitting on the shelf too long. It hasn't had any false alarms during the last six months.

Edit: if you really want to avoid low-battery warnings, and have a suitable elevated electric box, try to find an AC-powered combo alarm. They still take backup batteries, but the batteries last years instead of months.
( Last edited by reader50; Oct 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM. )

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
For the smoke side, buy one with a photoelectric sensor. The ionization smoke sensors cost less, but they are prone to false alarms. Burning food on the stove, heavy smokers, even steam from a shower will set them off.

I installed a First Alert SCO7CN in a friend's house, which has all the features you mention except no digital readout. $39 from Lowes, AA batteries. Note: the included ones are likely to be weak from sitting on the shelf too long. It hasn't had any false alarms during the last six months.

Edit: if you really want to avoid low-battery warnings, and have a suitable elevated electric box, try to find an AC-powered combo alarm. They still take backup batteries, but the batteries last years instead of months.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know that there were different technologies for smoke detectors (except the heat sensitive sprinkler systems). I'm not worried about weak batteries from sitting on the shelf since I have tons of AAs around. It is one of the reasons that I want a display though. Those models typically display a low battery warning instead of a beep. I don't like that the low battery beep sounds like the error beep which sounds like the alarm beep.

I don't have an easy way to direct wire the systems in my apartment so battery powered it is.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 24, 2011, 12:28 AM

Silly question, but why did your CO alarm go off?

CO and smoke alarms are only good for ~10 years, after which they're unreliable and should be replaced. But if your CO alarm is < 10 years old and it wasn't a low battery ... then it most likely detected CO. Was your furnace running at the time?

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Silly question, but why did your CO alarm go off?

CO and smoke alarms are only good for ~10 years, after which they're unreliable and should be replaced. But if your CO alarm is < 10 years old and it wasn't a low battery ... then it most likely detected CO. Was your furnace running at the time?
I left my stove on the lowest setting (purposely, not by accident) and the CO alarm went off at 5:30am. I opened the windows and raised the stove from "low" to "1" or "2" because I heard a whipping sound. I think what happened is that not all the gas was burning since on the lowest setting you can't see blue flame all the way around. After opening the windows and raising the stove the alarm never went off again. (I popped out the batteries and reset it.)

I've lived in the apartment a year and neither detector looks like it has been replaced very recently so I figured why not upgrade.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Oct 24, 2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know that there were different technologies for smoke detectors (except the heat sensitive sprinkler systems). I'm not worried about weak batteries from sitting on the shelf since I have tons of AAs around. It is one of the reasons that I want a display though. Those models typically display a low battery warning instead of a beep. I don't like that the low battery beep sounds like the error beep which sounds like the alarm beep.

I don't have an easy way to direct wire the systems in my apartment so battery powered it is.
I would call the FD. We go and install smoke detectors in homes for people who want want one. We install them for free, they come with a sealed battery that will allow the detector to last 10 years. It is recommended to have one in every sleeping room and the living room (not if if it shared with a kitchen).

If you want to install yourself, get the Kiddie brand with the sealed battery. They are some of the best out there. Install the detector 3 ft from the wall/ceiling.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
I would call the FD. We go and install smoke detectors in homes for people who want want one. We install them for free, they come with a sealed battery that will allow the detector to last 10 years. It is recommended to have one in every sleeping room and the living room (not if if it shared with a kitchen).

If you want to install yourself, get the Kiddie brand with the sealed battery. They are some of the best out there. Install the detector 3 ft from the wall/ceiling.
Good idea! I'll give them a call and see what they offer. We only have a volunteer service here so I'm not expecting much though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules